Results 1 to 20 of 20

A couple recent details jobs...

This is a discussion on A couple recent details jobs... within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Well, my focus lately and for this year has been on a different path. For starters, I'm going to school ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    A couple recent details jobs...

    Well, my focus lately and for this year has been on a different path.
    For starters, I'm going to school a second time around, and I'm pursuing different career goals.
    With that said, detailing for me has come to a semi-retirement state if you will.
    I'll probably be doing it P/T here and there, but not as much as I've done in years past.
    Here are a couple of my latest details. I've done a few, but haven't really documented as many as I should...

    First one is a black Porsche Cayene Turbo.
    I've been playing around with a couple of different products ti gauge how well they do.
    The first one is the new Meguiars Ultimate Compound. I've been using this product as a replacement for my favorite and go-to polish, Menzerna SIP.
    This product delivered beyond my expectations. It has a good correction power, doesn't dust and leaves a glossy finish.
    I though using it on black will be a good measuring test.

    Process:
    Clay with Clay Magic
    Wiped down with FK425
    Polished with Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Tangerine pad via Flex
    Followed with CG 3N Polish a german polishing green pad via flex
    The sealant I used for this is the new Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant...
    The windows; I used FK425 (Finisk Kare 425 Slick Detailer. Good stuff!)

    Before:






    Afters:












  2. #2
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Bonus pic.
    Can you guys guess what this is?












  3. #3
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    no but i want it!!!
    that whole drivetrain is making me drool

  4. #4
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Ok, second one is a Silverado Duramax Truck...
    Same process as the Cayene Porsche; except that for the roof, I used DoDo Juice Need For Speed Wax. It's like an AIO type product

    Before:







    Afters:











  5. #5
    Electrical Engineer KMdef9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Motorcity
    Posts
    2,611

    Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

    Awsome as usual goose! Once again making me hate that I don't live closer... lol

  6. #6
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    the cell-phone pix aren't giving you any justice. Good luck on your new career path!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    Bonus pic.
    Can you guys guess what this is?

    Click for full size

    Click for full size

    Click for full size

    Click for full size

    Click for full size

    Click for full size
    Ok. What you're seeing in those pics is a C3 Art Morrison Chassis with a C4 suspension and an LS9 (ZR1) Supercharged Corvette motor. This chassis and drivetrain will go under a 1963 split-window Corvette
    Should be quite the car when it's done!
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 04-27-2010 at 10:08 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Z28boy2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY Rochesterracing.com
    Posts
    1,276
    2000 Camaro B4C

    hot damn, amazing job(s)

  9. #9
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Nice work Goose

  10. #10
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Thanks guys.
    Well, the pictures don't do me justice. Those two jobs came out real nice and I'm not just saying it, they really came out great.
    My camera has been dropped so many times, I'm about to junk it.
    I need to get me something new and better.
    So bad are the pics, Jaison thought it was a phone camera/ I don't blame you J, my camera is just not cutting it anymore

    Anyway, I've had a few details jobs just as nice that I just didn't even want to use my camera anymore.
    It's not a priority for me right at this moment, but I'll get a new one eventually...

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Marcy, NY
    Posts
    33

    Bright Rally Red
    2002 SS Camaro vert

    Goose,
    Your work is fantastic...I have a question. My 02 ss vert w/ 20,000 miles has a lot of swirl marks from frequent washing. I have a porter cable 7424 and have been using ultimate compound with an orange lake country pad with minimal results. Do I need a more aggressive pad? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

  12. #12
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    21,719

    My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Well, the pictures don't do me justice. Those two jobs came out real nice and I'm not just saying it, they really came out great.
    My camera has been dropped so many times, I'm about to junk it.
    I need to get me something new and better.
    So bad are the pics, Jaison thought it was a phone camera/ I don't blame you J, my camera is just not cutting it anymore

    Anyway, I've had a few details jobs just as nice that I just didn't even want to use my camera anymore.
    It's not a priority for me right at this moment, but I'll get a new one eventually...
    steal Mr.Luos's!

  13. #13
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
    Goose,
    Your work is fantastic...I have a question. My 02 ss vert w/ 20,000 miles has a lot of swirl marks from frequent washing. I have a porter cable 7424 and have been using ultimate compound with an orange lake country pad with minimal results. Do I need a more aggressive pad? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    For swirls, you don't need a more aggressive pad. The next step up is the yellow pad, and to be honest with you, I hardly ever use it. For swirls the orange pad should do the trick.

    The clearcoat on the fbodies is quite hard and it requires a little bit of patience.
    What you need to do is concentrate on working on a small area at a time; 2'x2' or so. Use moderate pressure and work/move the buffer at about an inch per second; up and down, side to side patterns overlapping each move. Expect to spend about 3 minutes or so working the polish until it becomes translucent. Check your work and make some adjustment, i.e; longer working time, more pressure, etc...
    You definitley need to do more than one "pass" to achieve results. I define a "pass" as the 3 minutes intervals you need to work the polish in
    Don't be afraid to put pressure on the area and move the buffer slowly like I said

    I've been getting good results with the Meguiars Ultimate Compound, but I've been using my Flex buffer.
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 04-28-2010 at 10:39 AM.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Marcy, NY
    Posts
    33

    Bright Rally Red
    2002 SS Camaro vert

    Thanks for your quick reply. I have done 3 passes on my test spot with an orange pad and ultimate compound, varying pressure and time (3 to 7 minutes) like you have said. the spot still has scratches...looks like they were put in there by hand washing with a dirty sponge by the previous owner. It looks better, but the scratches are untouched. They are not deep...meaning I cant catch my fingernail on them. I don't think this car has ever been machine polished. What would you suggest next? Thanks a ton

  15. #15
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
    Thanks for your quick reply. I have done 3 passes on my test spot with an orange pad and ultimate compound, varying pressure and time (3 to 7 minutes) like you have said. the spot still has scratches...looks like they were put in there by hand washing with a dirty sponge by the previous owner. It looks better, but the scratches are untouched. They are not deep...meaning I cant catch my fingernail on them. I don't think this car has ever been machine polished. What would you suggest next? Thanks a ton
    Oh, I thought it was just swirls.
    Well, it comes to a point where the PC has found its match.
    That type of sctratches will just look better. All the PC is going to do is round-off the edges so it won't look as bad under the refraction of light.

    You could try wetsanding it. How deep it is will dictate the grit to use, but a good safe bet is start with a 2000 grit and see how that works.
    Again, I don't know how bad the scratch is, but a little 2000 grit massage may help.
    A 1500 grit is probably the best option, and what 'I' would do, but I'm just erring on the side of caution as I haven't seen the scratch yet.
    As long as you finish with 2000-2500 grit, the PC and the Ultimate Compound should finish it up...

    I'm not sure how experienced you are at wetsanding. My recommendation is based on somebody having the expertise to be able to safely do this kind of work.

  16. #16
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    I don't need a good camera to tell me the quality of that work, its excellent work.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Marcy, NY
    Posts
    33

    Bright Rally Red
    2002 SS Camaro vert

    Again, thanks a lot! I don't have any experience with wet sanding. Although I consider myself handy, I believe that might be a job best left to a professional. Any estimates on how much to do a job like that? I know you haven't seen the car, but it's just those washing scratches that are a little too much for the pc to handle. Once I get the car nice, I'm sure me and my trusty pc can keep the finish looking great! You're the best

  18. #18
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
    Again, thanks a lot! I don't have any experience with wet sanding. Although I consider myself handy, I believe that might be a job best left to a professional. Any estimates on how much to do a job like that? I know you haven't seen the car, but it's just those washing scratches that are a little too much for the pc to handle. Once I get the car nice, I'm sure me and my trusty pc can keep the finish looking great! You're the best
    Thanks man. It depends on how big the area is. It shouldn't be more than $100.00 considering that the standard rate for wetsanding in most states is between 60-70 per panel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I don't need a good camera to tell me the quality of that work, its excellent work.
    Thanks man.
    I do need a good camera. It's embarrassing sometimes

  19. #19
    Junior Member SS1Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    43

    Black SS SLP#8834
    2002 35th Anniversary LS1

    Curious, do you wear non-powdered or nitrile latex gloves while applying waxes and other such treatments to prevent stray natural body oils or perspiration from hands?

    The Z71 pics floored me as I have a black '02 SS, quality job for sure!

    Good luck on your future endeavors.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by SS1Eagle View Post
    Curious, do you wear non-powdered or nitrile latex gloves while applying waxes and other such treatments to prevent stray natural body oils or perspiration from hands?

    The Z71 pics floored me as I have a black '02 SS, quality job for sure!

    Good luck on your future endeavors.
    Thanks.
    No, I don't use latex gloves unless I'm doing the engine bay, or using some kind of degreaser by hand.

    For working on the paint, I ALWAYS wear a long-sleeve cotton jerseys and I don't wear any jewelry at all when I detail.
    Here in Colorado, the weather is so dry you hardly ever experience any kind of perspiration when you're working indoors. Very low humidity
    I work my way from the top and then do the sides.
    I also wear a detailing apron
    That truck was a challenge for sure. I use a 5' ladder to get to the highest point and I use an extra MF towel anytime I need to use my other hand for support between me and the truck.

    For really fine and hardly driven cars, I use fine carnauba waxes, for most daily driven cars, I use polymer sealants which I apply via Porter Cable DA Buffer...
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 04-30-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Recent Gas prices
    By LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 05:42 PM
  2. recent pics of my Ws6
    By smokeyburnouts in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 06:03 AM
  3. some recent events
    By jAgZ28 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 09:02 PM
  4. Best recent times
    By HASTINGSRJ in forum Southern Members
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-23-2006, 06:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •