Yellow
    2004 Corvette

clear coat seperating

Back hatch of my c5 has a streak of about 6 inches where the clear coat is seprating from the paint. Anybody have any idea how to help the situation out without haveing to spend the bucks to Re paint

Red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by YellaVette3 View Post
    Back hatch of my c5 has a streak of about 6 inches where the clear coat is seprating from the paint. Anybody have any idea how to help the situation out without haveing to spend the bucks to Re paint
    I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to stop it TBH. I can tell you the experience I had with my 2001 WS6 - I bought it new and always took care of it, had a custom cover for it, stored it indoors for all the winters etc. Then about 3 years ago I noticed the clear coat on the hood was blistering in several spots but only on the hood. It wasn't happening anywhere else which I found rather strange. I kept an eye on the 3 or 4 blisters which gradually increased in numbers and sizes. Finally they got so many and so bad and the stuff was just flaking off in huge chunks. Took it to a friend who works at a dealer's body shop and they basically took the hood off, stripped everything off the top and re-painted it. He was even worried about the new vs old paint and color matching but it turned out perfect.

So I hope this is relegated to just your hatch and just that section can be easily taken care of without putting the whole car through hell.
    Good luck.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

It's gonna spread no matter what. If you really love the car you're gonna have to repaint it in the effected areas.

Thread Information