Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Cleaning Engine Bay

This is a discussion on Cleaning Engine Bay within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; I use a pretty handy dandy tool for cleaning. I use the Crest SpinCare (SpinClean? Spin-something!) toothbrushes for my teeth...but ...

Yellow
    2002 Firebird CETA Vert

I use a pretty handy dandy tool for cleaning. I use the Crest SpinCare (SpinClean? Spin-something!) toothbrushes for my teeth...but after 2-3 months when its time for new bristles, take your old spinbrush, pop a new set of batteries in it, and use it for detailing your engine bay in those hard to reach places. I think its like a $6 gizmo (Target brand ones are $5) and it will work pretty well on getting into nooks and crannies.

You know I went through this thread start to finish and it seems like for every piece of cleaning wisdom that someone has, someone else has hearsay or even factual evidence to show how that cleaning tip is bad or wrong.

Black
    1996 Trans am

Ok so i am an LT1 guy, so we all know we cant spray the engine off with water cause of the opti crapping out!! another guy asked this question and yall didnt answer it , so i am asking again, if we cant use water on the engine what do we use to clean it then?

i have a one car garage and i have a pool table in there, well my car sits in the driveway all week and only gets drivein on sunday if that, well i am gonna sell my pool table and park it in the garage, so it wont keep getting dirty from the neighbors mowing grass and getting it all dusty, cause im in texas and it is black!! but like i asked how do we clean the LT1's and with what ?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by camarostripes96 View Post
    Ok so i am an LT1 guy, so we all know we cant spray the engine off with water cause of the opti crapping out!! another guy asked this question and yall didnt answer it , so i am asking again, if we cant use water on the engine what do we use to clean it then?

i have a one car garage and i have a pool table in there, well my car sits in the driveway all week and only gets drivein on sunday if that, well i am gonna sell my pool table and park it in the garage, so it wont keep getting dirty from the neighbors mowing grass and getting it all dusty, cause im in texas and it is black!! but like i asked how do we clean the LT1's and with what ?
    my brother does what i posted with his 95 impala... he hasn't had any problems with his optijunk doing this... worst comes to worst do what i posted just take a plastic bag and unplug the wire to the opti and cover it... use sammich bags and rubber bands to cover the ends of the plugs... it will make the cleaning take a bit longer to unplug, cover, wash, uncover, plug back in and then keep doing it untill it's clean...

silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

i use simple green and cd2. found it at autozone. works great

Black
    1996 Trans am

ok i went awhile ago ang got some simple green and cd2 gonna try it this weekend, so do yall leave the cd2 on there and let it dry? or are u sopposed to wipe or wash it off?

Pewter
    01 Trans Am WS6

I just read this thread & you should wipe it off, I'll be doing this sunday.

Black
    1996 Trans am

damn well i cleaned my engine bay and stuffed a towel over my opti really good and sprayed the engine with a light mist and cleaned with simple green twicw and blowed the engine dry with a leaf blower and put CD2 on it and it looks amazing and bad ass!!! well i took it for a drive and its missing out now, so im kicking my self in the ass and cant figure it whats wrong, when i get in the throttle it misses for about 2 or 3 seconds and clears up , but at low rpms , and whenever it gets higher rppms it does good ! anyone know whats wrong

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by camarostripes96 View Post
    damn well i cleaned my engine bay and stuffed a towel over my opti really good and sprayed the engine with a light mist and cleaned with simple green twicw and blowed the engine dry with a leaf blower and put CD2 on it and it looks amazing and bad ass!!! well i took it for a drive and its missing out now, so im kicking my self in the ass and cant figure it whats wrong, when i get in the throttle it misses for about 2 or 3 seconds and clears up , but at low rpms , and whenever it gets higher rppms it does good ! anyone know whats wrong
    checked to make sure that the plugs are in on the boot between the ait filter and tb???

Black/PurpleChromeFlames
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I agree as well CD2 is very nice, the only thing I use Armor All on is on the tread of my tires at car shows.

black
    2002 WS6

CD2

What is cd2 in long form?
    Were can it be purchased.
    Live in canada & this is a product i am not familiar with.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by rstewart View Post
    It is CD2 Engine Detailer. i found it at autozone. it works really good.

Black/PurpleChromeFlames
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

CD2 makes the engine detailer and a engine cleaner, you can buy them seperate or in shop form where they are packaged together. I found mine at O'Reillys' Auto Parts but you can find them at Auto Zone, Pep Boy's, etc. in the detailing/car care section of the store.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by rstewart View Post
    Made by Turtle Wax believe it or not..
    Here is a little more about it

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,2,2
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((>`..`.><((((>

Black/Black/Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert #5301

Dealer used a spray on my engine compartment when I bought the car. Took me WEEKS to get that junk and all the dirt it held off. All I have used for the 9 years since is a damp rag or towel.
    2000 SS vert, #5301, triple black, A4, leather, 3.23,SLP lid & D/D, STB, chrome 5 spokes
    USN '64-'88
    #3 1951-2001

www.fquick.com/planemech2

http://my.telegraph.co.uk
    Jeah

Cleaning Engine Bay

what are you saying. Theres no risk if I just spray the whole engine bay with water press? I mean I would still cover up the whiring stuff but is it fine to do that? I was always cleaning it with hands and wet rags but didnt know that

Black
    2002 Z28 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by skolapper View Post
    what are you saying. Theres no risk if I just spray the whole engine bay with water press? I mean I would still cover up the whiring stuff but is it fine to do that? I was always cleaning it with hands and wet rags but didnt know that

Noooo pressure at all.....take your car to the detail shop it cost me $ 50 and they never spray water. I have read on here that people are saying to use very little pressure, i would just let it trickel out the end.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

If it's pretty dirty, I would saturate it good with Simple Green and then gently rinse it good.

Quote Originally Posted by skolapper View Post

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

Im going to have to try this stuff! I was just thinking today when I was changing my oil that I need to clean my motor. I use armorall to spray in my wheel wells

Maroon
    2000 z28 6 speed

i just wait til the motor heats all the way up and just dump gallons and gallons and gallons of water on my motor. dont mind the steam and the cracking sounds. its just the water doing its job!

btw
    i need a new block

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ls_won View Post
    i just wait til the motor heats all the way up and just dump gallons and gallons and gallons of water on my motor. dont mind the steam and the cracking sounds. its just the water doing its job!

btw
    i need a new block
    oh god!!!! for real???

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-01-2015, 04:01 PM

Thread Information