Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Clay bar

This is a discussion on Clay bar within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; by "paint" in my original post i meant the clear that is on top of ours, as it is, as ...

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

by "paint" in my original post i meant the clear that is on top of ours, as it is, as you stated, part of the painting process. i still do not agree that the purpose of clay is to polish however. it may do minor polishing as a side effect, but it's goal is to remove contaminants. it is not made to, nor should it be expected to, remove fine scratches or swirls. that is what polish/compound/cutters are made for.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by creeper View Post
    by "paint" in my original post i meant the clear that is on top of ours, as it is, as you stated, part of the painting process. i still do not agree that the purpose of clay is to polish however. it may do minor polishing as a side effect, but it's goal is to remove contaminants. it is not made to, nor should it be expected to, remove fine scratches or swirls. that is what polish/compound/cutters are made for.
    this is 100% right the clay will not polish it cleans the are for you polish to work with out putting sratches in the paint, then wax for the finish.

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Polishing and waxing are two different things which I suggest is your real question. When you polish a car you have different grits of compound just like sanding. After you clay bar a car it will need waxing. So it is a polisher like i stated above, so do not finger sand it so doesn't look like a gorilla detailed your car. 80 or 180 grit to strip, 400/600 grit for wet sanding primer and 1100 or 1500 for polishing to remove impurities in the clear coat or even more which is what the clay bar does. Using Mothers California Gold (waxing) after you clay the car will produce the best results. I hope this answers you question. Just do not "polish" beyond the depth of the clear. It's called "burning" the clear coat and you will be in to the actual paint and then you will need to have that surface painted/cleared again. But that's just my 2 cents worth.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

clay bar followed by scatch remover and tons of polish worked wonders on my fender after a muddy beating, see Compliments from random people about your T/A!

its fairly unnoticable now, i like the turtle wax ice clay bar system, people argue meguires is better but i think they just advertise more IMO

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rexxx View Post
    Polishing and waxing are two different things which I suggest is your real question. When you polish a car you have different grits of compound just like sanding. After you clay bar a car it will need waxing. So it is a polisher like i stated above, so do not finger sand it so doesn't look like a gorilla detailed your car. 80 or 180 grit to strip, 400/600 grit for wet sanding primer and 1100 or 1500 for polishing to remove impurities in the clear coat or even more which is what the clay bar does. Using Mothers California Gold (waxing) after you clay the car will produce the best results. I hope this answers you question. Just do not "polish" beyond the depth of the clear. It's called "burning" the clear coat and you will be in to the actual paint and then you will need to have that surface painted/cleared again. But that's just my 2 cents worth.
    i still disagree with you. the fact that you need to wax afterward does not deem it a polish. is dawn soap a polish too because it removes wax?

clay removes wax because it is, as i stated previously, an abrasive. its goal is to remove impurities in the paint or clear, not level or smooth out the surface of the clear itself. THAT is the job of a polish. a more aggressive claybar (far more abrasive than the meguiars kit) is capable of marring the surface, but that is not polishing either.

here's a quick little article on it:
    http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html

i find it ironic that in bold it states that clay is NOT a replacement for polishing, and then goes on to state exactly what i have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information