Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 105

Clay bar

This is a discussion on Clay bar within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by KahanaReef I was trying to get this thread back on topic... And, climate control? We live in ...

  1. #61
    Consumer of kraut SiggyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,773

    Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I was trying to get this thread back on topic...

    And, climate control? We live in So CA...
    It is on topic and any brand of clay bar will work just fine for you.

  2. #62
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    I started using McGuire's wax clay bar in July. Luv it, now use it on all my vehicles. It really brings out the shine on Navy Blue Metallic and Black colors best. After I'm done, I follow with McGuire's wax. Smooth as a babies ass is correct.

  3. #63
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,591

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I started using McGuire's wax clay bar in July. Luv it, now use it on all my vehicles. It really brings out the shine on Navy Blue Metallic and Black colors best. After I'm done, I follow with McGuire's wax. Smooth as a babies ass is correct.
    That's what I'll most likely get. I use Meguiar's for everything else

  4. #64
    Consumer of kraut SiggyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,773

    Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    That's what I'll most likely get. I use Meguiar's for everything else
    You'll love the results if done right. Remember to use plenty of lube.

  5. #65
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    2nd request of asking that this thread remain on topic, which means clay bar. Its currently on the topic of clay bar but needs to stay that way. If it deviates away from clay bar again, I am closing the thread and/or issuing warnings.

  6. #66
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Yeah, I bought some of that Meguiar's ScratchX stuff a while back. It did OK. But, I wasn't thrilled with it. It does work well on little scratches that pop up out of no where though. I still don't understand where they come from. I keep my car covered up and only park in isolated areas when I drive it

    There are a few spots that could use a mild buffing on my car. Like everything else, I have to get around to it
    It's your car cover. I'm pretty sure!

  7. #67
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Do you mean the "micro marring" Sig? Ever try 4 star?
    I just ordered some 4-star sealant
    What do you have?
    I'm not sure if they have claybar, do they?
    I use Meguiars, Blue Magic and Zaino claybars

  8. #68
    Senior Member Z06-Goose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,276

    Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

    Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Not too sure about that- I used 4star claybar with PLENTY of lube and it still micro marred the small section I did. Not sure if they make more aggressive clay or what.
    I'm sure you know this, but I'll say in case someone else wants to learn...

    always knead a small portion of the claybar big enough to cover your 4 fingers and hold it in place with your thumb. Usually a third of the size of the claybar...

    In my own experience, the thinner the better. It gives you a better connection and feel to the surface.
    You don't need to apply too much pressure. Use a lot of lube and glide the claybar with moderate pressure enough to have a solid contact with the finish.
    Another thing is that in the case of the 4-Star claybar is that it's a synthetic claybar, so I could see how it could mar the surface. They're hard to keep soft even when run under some hot/warm water

    The best claybar in my opinion is the Blue Magic claybar. It's more of a natural and true clay. It stays soft, and doesn't require to be as warm as others. Too much hot water will make it too sticky...

  9. #69
    Member camaross1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    chesapeake,VA.
    Age
    61
    Posts
    398

    red
    2002 camaro ss

    Thumbs up clay bar

    [QUOTE=KahanaReef;2103701]What's the best Clay bar mothers is what i use because you get 2 bars and the showtime spray works great on my car, i think i said msqguiars spelled wrong, thats ok , earlier, corrected mothers

  10. #70
    Consumer of kraut SiggyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,773

    Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

    Well said Goose. Maybe I'll try Blue Magic clay bar sometime and see how I like it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    I'm sure you know this, but I'll say in case someone else wants to learn...

    always knead a small portion of the claybar big enough to cover your 4 fingers and hold it in place with your thumb. Usually a third of the size of the claybar...

    In my own experience, the thinner the better. It gives you a better connection and feel to the surface.
    You don't need to apply too much pressure. Use a lot of lube and glide the claybar with moderate pressure enough to have a solid contact with the finish.
    Another thing is that in the case of the 4-Star claybar is that it's a synthetic claybar, so I could see how it could mar the surface. They're hard to keep soft even when run under some hot/warm water

    The best claybar in my opinion is the Blue Magic claybar. It's more of a natural and true clay. It stays soft, and doesn't require to be as warm as others. Too much hot water will make it too sticky...

  11. #71
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    I'm sure you know this, but I'll say in case someone else wants to learn...

    always knead a small portion of the claybar big enough to cover your 4 fingers and hold it in place with your thumb. Usually a third of the size of the claybar...

    In my own experience, the thinner the better. It gives you a better connection and feel to the surface.
    You don't need to apply too much pressure. Use a lot of lube and glide the claybar with moderate pressure enough to have a solid contact with the finish.
    Another thing is that in the case of the 4-Star claybar is that it's a synthetic claybar, so I could see how it could mar the surface. They're hard to keep soft even when run under some hot/warm water

    The best claybar in my opinion is the Blue Magic claybar. It's more of a natural and true clay. It stays soft, and doesn't require to be as warm as others. Too much hot water will make it too sticky...
    Thanks for the tips- as always. I didn't know it was a synthetic and believe that could be the issue as- my method is very close to yours. It stayed hard and not very pliable. I think it was old as well because the first bar I bought -I had to return as it was brittle and hard-very old.

    Gonna give Blue Magic a try next time!

  12. #72
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,591

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    It's your car cover. I'm pretty sure!
    Seems to be the consensus. But, I either use a cover or it sits our there naked to the elements 24/7. I do try to make sure it's clean before I cover it back up

    I really need my husband to unload all his stuff in the garage that he doesn't use...

  13. #73
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Seems to be the consensus. But, I either use a cover or it sits our there naked to the elements 24/7. I do try to make sure it's clean before I cover it back up

    I really need my husband to unload all his stuff in the garage that he doesn't use...
    I had to keep my black Z outside because of all the junk in the garage- once I was "allowed" to get rid of all that junk it was wonderful!!!!! My car stays so clean now!

    It will make life so much easier! IMO- ditch the cover.

  14. #74
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,591

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    I had to keep my black Z outside because of all the junk in the garage- once I was "allowed" to get rid of all that junk it was wonderful!!!!! My car stays so clean now!

    It will make life so much easier! IMO- ditch the cover.
    I miss the days of being able to keep my car in the garage. Hubby has a ton of crap in there. If I was 'allowed' to empty it... I'd be all over that! It's an on going argument around here

    If I lose the cover, my car will be covered in bird crap and dirt within a day or two.

    I don't drive it much. So, it's a sitting target. That and it's so dry out here and the wind comes through this canyon and dirt settles on everything.

    I can't help but think that my car is better off being covered. It is a quality cover

    So, you all think that I should do the clay bar, give it a good coat of wax and just let it sit uncovered all the time?

  15. #75
    Consumer of kraut SiggyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,773

    Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I miss the days of being able to keep my car in the garage. Hubby has a ton of crap in there. If I was 'allowed' to empty it... I'd be all over that! It's an on going argument around here

    If I lose the cover, my car will be covered in bird crap and dirt within a day or two.

    I don't drive it much. So, it's a sitting target. That and it's so dry out here and the wind comes through this canyon and dirt settles on everything.

    I can't help but think that my car is better off being covered. It is a quality cover

    So, you all think that I should do the clay bar, give it a good coat of wax and just let it sit uncovered all the time?
    No, I'd have a cover on it if it was outside. I kept my other Zs covered when I didn't have my own garage. But, taking them on and off does scratch the finish, regardless of the covers quality.

  16. #76
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I miss the days of being able to keep my car in the garage. Hubby has a ton of crap in there. If I was 'allowed' to empty it... I'd be all over that! It's an on going argument around here

    If I lose the cover, my car will be covered in bird crap and dirt within a day or two.

    I don't drive it much. So, it's a sitting target. That and it's so dry out here and the wind comes through this canyon and dirt settles on everything.

    I can't help but think that my car is better off being covered. It is a quality cover

    So, you all think that I should do the clay bar, give it a good coat of wax and just let it sit uncovered all the time?


    Yes to clay bar.......In fact I'm going to clay bar mine this weekend....

  17. #77
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,591

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    No, I'd have a cover on it if it was outside. I kept my other Zs covered when I didn't have my own garage. But, taking them on and off does scratch the finish, regardless of the covers quality.
    Yeah, I feel better keeping it covered. I'll just be extra carefull when I take it on and off. I have system. I pull each side up and then fold to the middle, then basically roll it off the car. It goes on the same way in reverse.

    I have no choice. It has to stay in the driveway...

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Yes to clay bar.......In fact I'm going to clay bar mine this weekend....
    I might do that this weekend too. I'll have the whole weekend all to myself

  18. #78
    Consumer of kraut SiggyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,773

    Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

    Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Yeah, I feel better keeping it covered. I'll just be extra carefull when I take it on and off. I have system. I pull each side up and then fold to the middle, then basically roll it off the car. It goes on the same way in reverse.

    I have no choice. It has to stay in the driveway...
    I understand that. You do what you can and having it covered when outside is better then not for sure. All mine gets on it is light garage dust and I even pull it out in the driveway and rinse it off for that. When you clay the finish, make sure you keep the surface area and the clay itself lubricated plenty.

  19. #79
    She Moderator KahanaReef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    15,591

    Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    I understand that. You do what you can and having it covered when outside is better then not for sure. All mine gets on it is light garage dust and I even pull it out in the driveway and rinse it off for that. When you clay the finish, make sure you keep the surface area and the clay itself lubricated plenty.
    I will. I'll do a little reading up on it before I do it.






    Thanks you guys

  20. #80
    I don't sell out! blackSS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,558

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Didn't someone do a write up on doing the claybar treatment
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

    Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

    Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Clay bar
    By izzhemp in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 03:05 PM
  2. To Clay or Not To Clay?
    By Lutzfire24 in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 02:47 PM
  3. I want to clay bar and wax but...
    By Muscle in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 09:33 AM
  4. The Z after Clay
    By WhiteLs1 in forum Member's Rides
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-01-2006, 07:04 AM
  5. clay bar WOW!!!
    By tonyjnjz in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-23-2006, 10:04 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •