Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Clay bar

This is a discussion on Clay bar within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by KahanaReef I was trying to get this thread back on topic... And, climate control? We live in ...

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I was trying to get this thread back on topic...

And, climate control? We live in So CA...
    It is on topic and any brand of clay bar will work just fine for you.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I started using McGuire's wax clay bar in July. Luv it, now use it on all my vehicles. It really brings out the shine on Navy Blue Metallic and Black colors best. After I'm done, I follow with McGuire's wax. Smooth as a babies ass is correct.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I started using McGuire's wax clay bar in July. Luv it, now use it on all my vehicles. It really brings out the shine on Navy Blue Metallic and Black colors best. After I'm done, I follow with McGuire's wax. Smooth as a babies ass is correct.
    That's what I'll most likely get. I use Meguiar's for everything else

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

That's what I'll most likely get. I use Meguiar's for everything else
    You'll love the results if done right. Remember to use plenty of lube.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

2nd request of asking that this thread remain on topic, which means clay bar. Its currently on the topic of clay bar but needs to stay that way. If it deviates away from clay bar again, I am closing the thread and/or issuing warnings.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Yeah, I bought some of that Meguiar's ScratchX stuff a while back. It did OK. But, I wasn't thrilled with it. It does work well on little scratches that pop up out of no where though. I still don't understand where they come from. I keep my car covered up and only park in isolated areas when I drive it

There are a few spots that could use a mild buffing on my car. Like everything else, I have to get around to it
    It's your car cover. I'm pretty sure!

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Do you mean the "micro marring" Sig? Ever try 4 star?
    I just ordered some 4-star sealant
    What do you have?
    I'm not sure if they have claybar, do they?
    I use Meguiars, Blue Magic and Zaino claybars

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Not too sure about that- I used 4star claybar with PLENTY of lube and it still micro marred the small section I did. Not sure if they make more aggressive clay or what.
    I'm sure you know this, but I'll say in case someone else wants to learn...

always knead a small portion of the claybar big enough to cover your 4 fingers and hold it in place with your thumb. Usually a third of the size of the claybar...

In my own experience, the thinner the better. It gives you a better connection and feel to the surface.
    You don't need to apply too much pressure. Use a lot of lube and glide the claybar with moderate pressure enough to have a solid contact with the finish.
    Another thing is that in the case of the 4-Star claybar is that it's a synthetic claybar, so I could see how it could mar the surface. They're hard to keep soft even when run under some hot/warm water

The best claybar in my opinion is the Blue Magic claybar. It's more of a natural and true clay. It stays soft, and doesn't require to be as warm as others. Too much hot water will make it too sticky...

red
    2002 camaro ss

Thumbs up clay bar

[QUOTE=KahanaReef;2103701]What's the best Clay bar mothers is what i use because you get 2 bars and the showtime spray works great on my car, i think i said msqguiars spelled wrong, thats ok , earlier, corrected mothers

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Well said Goose. Maybe I'll try Blue Magic clay bar sometime and see how I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post

always knead a small portion of the claybar big enough to cover your 4 fingers and hold it in place with your thumb. Usually a third of the size of the claybar...

In my own experience, the thinner the better. It gives you a better connection and feel to the surface.
    You don't need to apply too much pressure. Use a lot of lube and glide the claybar with moderate pressure enough to have a solid contact with the finish.
    Another thing is that in the case of the 4-Star claybar is that it's a synthetic claybar, so I could see how it could mar the surface. They're hard to keep soft even when run under some hot/warm water

The best claybar in my opinion is the Blue Magic claybar. It's more of a natural and true clay. It stays soft, and doesn't require to be as warm as others. Too much hot water will make it too sticky...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thanks for the tips- as always. I didn't know it was a synthetic and believe that could be the issue as- my method is very close to yours. It stayed hard and not very pliable. I think it was old as well because the first bar I bought -I had to return as it was brittle and hard-very old.

Gonna give Blue Magic a try next time!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

It's your car cover. I'm pretty sure!
    Seems to be the consensus. But, I either use a cover or it sits our there naked to the elements 24/7. I do try to make sure it's clean before I cover it back up

I really need my husband to unload all his stuff in the garage that he doesn't use...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Seems to be the consensus. But, I either use a cover or it sits our there naked to the elements 24/7. I do try to make sure it's clean before I cover it back up

I really need my husband to unload all his stuff in the garage that he doesn't use...
    I had to keep my black Z outside because of all the junk in the garage- once I was "allowed" to get rid of all that junk it was wonderful!!!!! My car stays so clean now!

It will make life so much easier! IMO- ditch the cover.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I had to keep my black Z outside because of all the junk in the garage- once I was "allowed" to get rid of all that junk it was wonderful!!!!! My car stays so clean now!

It will make life so much easier! IMO- ditch the cover.
    I miss the days of being able to keep my car in the garage. Hubby has a ton of crap in there. If I was 'allowed' to empty it... I'd be all over that! It's an on going argument around here

If I lose the cover, my car will be covered in bird crap and dirt within a day or two.

I don't drive it much. So, it's a sitting target. That and it's so dry out here and the wind comes through this canyon and dirt settles on everything.

I can't help but think that my car is better off being covered. It is a quality cover

So, you all think that I should do the clay bar, give it a good coat of wax and just let it sit uncovered all the time?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I miss the days of being able to keep my car in the garage. Hubby has a ton of crap in there. If I was 'allowed' to empty it... I'd be all over that! It's an on going argument around here

If I lose the cover, my car will be covered in bird crap and dirt within a day or two.

I don't drive it much. So, it's a sitting target. That and it's so dry out here and the wind comes through this canyon and dirt settles on everything.

I can't help but think that my car is better off being covered. It is a quality cover

So, you all think that I should do the clay bar, give it a good coat of wax and just let it sit uncovered all the time?
    No, I'd have a cover on it if it was outside. I kept my other Zs covered when I didn't have my own garage. But, taking them on and off does scratch the finish, regardless of the covers quality.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Yes to clay bar.......In fact I'm going to clay bar mine this weekend....

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    No, I'd have a cover on it if it was outside. I kept my other Zs covered when I didn't have my own garage. But, taking them on and off does scratch the finish, regardless of the covers quality.
    Yeah, I feel better keeping it covered. I'll just be extra carefull when I take it on and off. I have system. I pull each side up and then fold to the middle, then basically roll it off the car. It goes on the same way in reverse.

I have no choice. It has to stay in the driveway...

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Yes to clay bar.......In fact I'm going to clay bar mine this weekend....
    I might do that this weekend too. I'll have the whole weekend all to myself

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Yeah, I feel better keeping it covered. I'll just be extra carefull when I take it on and off. I have system. I pull each side up and then fold to the middle, then basically roll it off the car. It goes on the same way in reverse.

I have no choice. It has to stay in the driveway...
    I understand that. You do what you can and having it covered when outside is better then not for sure. All mine gets on it is light garage dust and I even pull it out in the driveway and rinse it off for that. When you clay the finish, make sure you keep the surface area and the clay itself lubricated plenty.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    I understand that. You do what you can and having it covered when outside is better then not for sure. All mine gets on it is light garage dust and I even pull it out in the driveway and rinse it off for that. When you clay the finish, make sure you keep the surface area and the clay itself lubricated plenty.
    I will. I'll do a little reading up on it before I do it.

Thanks you guys

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Didn't someone do a write up on doing the claybar treatment
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information