Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Car cover...Yes or no ??

This is a discussion on Car cover...Yes or no ?? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by ButchN My car also sits outside 24/7/365.25 & I use an SLP cover since it fits perfect. ...

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ButchN
    My car also sits outside 24/7/365.25 & I use an SLP cover since it fits perfect.

I totally agree with the above statement & I also clean my car before the cover goes on to prevent scratches.

Then I use the side tiedowns with a bungy underneath to prevent excess flapping from wind.

Yes, tieing it down when it sits outside is VERY important. I learned the hard way one day a few years ago, I was looking out the window at the car and a huge gust of wind came by and blew the cover clear off the car into the backyard!

Black
    02 Z06

Wow for some reason I thought it was bad to put a car cover on it if you keep it outside. But I'm defintely going to start putting a cover on it now.

red

Quote Originally Posted by WS6RedDragon
    Yes absolutely I love havin mine covered indoors keeps people from scratching it and finger prints
    Same here. Also keeps the car clean from garage dust laying on the car.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmMan
    Wow for some reason I thought it was bad to put a car cover on it if you keep it outside. But I'm defintely going to start putting a cover on it now.

Well, it works out OK if you are careful.

There are a few key points to remember with covering it outside.

The cover needs to be breathable and not waterproof. Dampness and condensation will form under the cover, and when it sits in the sun all day it needs to be able to evaporate out, or you risk getting bubbles in the paint.

The car needs to be clean when you cover it. And I mean spotless.

The cover itself should be reasonably heavy to withstand sun, bird and tree droppings, pollution, acid rain, etc. I can recommened the NOAH fabric from Kimberly Clark, and there are even heavier ones available that still breath and are safe for the paint.

Park it on asphalt or concrete to prevent excess moisture from the ground rising up under the car.

02SlamAirTA
    For inside "storage" an inexpensive loose fitting cover is okay. For use outside, a better fitting cover is a must. As previously noted, a loose fitting cover will flap in the wind and/or come off in some places. A loose fitting cover over a slightly dusty car should be fine.

Blk/blk
    2007 Z06

Definitely use the cover! I lost mine during a move from house to house and am missing it bad now...

Red
    1998 Trans Am

i'm looking to cover my 98 TA any suggestions on a cover and a detailing spray? where to get them and maybe a price?

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Personally I think a car cover indoors is a waste of money. Not only that but people walking by your car in the garage are inevitably going to bump or rub up against it. Id suggest what has been suggested above. Garage it and just get a duster and dust it every once in awhile.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Capster78
    Not only that but people walking by your car in the garage are inevitably going to bump or rub up against it.
    I don't use a cover when storing my car in the cellar but I do throw on as many old blankets as I can find. The idea is to make as thick as possible to protect against bumbs and bruises.

Also put 3 old comforters on the side of the car that sees the most foot traffic for same reason stated above....

6704gto
    yes i would i keep my car covered in the garage

steveo346
    i say use the cover indoors...my gf just got me a car cover for my car and it have a zipper door...so when the cover is on i dont have to take it off when i need to open the car...i just open the zipper...i'll take pics

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I have one of those breathable California car covers and I love it. It's a great investment in my opinion. This probably won't apply to everyone, but I found it especially useful to be on the car during HAIL storms! No damage was done to the car whatsoever. A car cover is a good investment whether the car is inside or outside if you ask me.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

As long as the cover is breathable, and guaranteed not to mar or scratch, then you should definitely use a cover. Covers are more liveable on cars that you do not drive everyday, because conceivably if you drive your car daily, it will get dusty or dirty during one of your trips, requiring you to clean it before putting the cover on it. You should never put a cover on a dirty or dusty car!!!

I have had my Noah California Car Cover for 4 years, and I have never had a problem or an incident with marring or scratching. It is excellent for indoor and fair weather to moderately rainy outdoor use. IMO california car cover co. are among the leading retail manufacturers of quality car covers.

Additionally, if you have traffic inside of your garage, then that is the prime reason that you will want a cover on the car. Good covers can prevent easy streaks or marred marks that can come from light brushes or careless "oops"....even from yourself!!!! My cover has saved my paint many a day from "little things" that go bump in the night!
    Last edited by lbls1; 05-06-2006 at 03:17 PM.

Black
    02 SS #8850

Question

Does anyone have a recommendation for a California Car cover for a garaged car? They have about 12 types. It recommends Du-Stop but I'm not sure.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by slade8200 View Post
    Does anyone have a recommendation Car cover for a garaged car?
    You see-- this is where it gets good...... For something ( A Car) thats gets stored in a garage you need nothing more than a blanket or an old comforter to keep it from getting hurt and nice and warm......... IT Works.........
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((>`..`.><((((>

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Check ebay..............I got one for my garaged SS for 29.99..............fits great and is good enough for inside storage.

black
    02 HAWK aka the beast

Quote Originally Posted by FUELS94 View Post
    Same here. Also keeps the car clean from garage dust laying on the car.
    +1 i agree

Black
    1998 WS6 Convert

Cover it for sure.
    I have the Dustop cover from California Car cover and it works great for keeping clean and 4 layers of fabric for scratch and dent protection.Mine is always inside Garage.

black silver
    99 z28, 81 z28

cover

i garage and cover both my cars. i just make sure they are clean before i cover them. my 81 z28 i use a wolf custom cover its ok but doesnt fit like i like it to. my 99z28 i use a factory cover and fits perfect and is highly recommended. i just wish i could still get a factory cover for my 81 z.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I had a car cover on my Z sitting in my garage and a thief opened the door got in the car and somewhat pulled the car cover back down protecting him from people seeing him, he took his time stealing what he needed to steal and take. I come downstairs in the morning and i notice my car cover was a bit off, i go a bit closer meaning towards the drivers side, not only does the thief want me to know he was there he left the door a bit open and the car cover in between the door on the drivers side. If your in a safe area then i would highly recommend a car cover as far as dust is concerned it does a great job just gotta make sure you keep your car cover clean and its breathable as stateed above.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information