Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    02 WS6

Car cover...Yes or no ??

My car is garage kept, but I wont be driving it this winter in the snow, maybe once a month for a 20 or so mile run, when its dry out. Should I get a car cover and keep it covered in the garage ?? Would'nt it be bad to put the cover on the car after a run, because of brake dust, etc. ?

I dont want to wash it in the winter (chicago) after each run. The T/A tucks back deep into the garage ( 26 feet deep garage) but the door is opened daily as my wife parks in the garage also ( yes it worrys me...its my baby..the T/A) and I also use the garage as my exit/entrance daily to get to my other car in the driveway. When I wash and wax it now and go 4 blocks it gets dust all over it. Would you cover it...pros...cons... Thanks

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I keep mine in the garage with a cover...dust/cats/grandkids fingerprints...etc...etc...

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Yes -cover it.Indoors the cover will be easier to deal with than outdoors-just don't rub up against it or anything cause a cover can scratch,but, there are no real drawbacks.

Black
    2004 Z06

Make sure the cover can "breath"
    Take it off once in awhile and check for moisture buildup and possibly "things" that like to "grow"
    I don't trust special coating covers such as I beleive teflon as they seem to dull the paint.
    A heated garage without a cover I think is the best .. just a dusting off once in a while.

WS6RedDragon
    Yes absolutely I love havin mine covered indoors keeps people from scratching it and finger prints

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Another yes for the cover.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

I'm getting a cover for my ride soon! So yes!!!

BlackHawk T/A
    What about a cover outdoors?

I had a cover on a car a few years ago and after rain/snow the water would still get through, maybe from condensation, not sure, but get the car all wet regardless...

Any way around this?

WS6RedDragon
    No infact if there was you dont want to keep the water out, your cover is designed to breathe so when water gets underneath which it will it will be able to evaporate off. the real prurpose of a cover is to keep bird shit, berries, leaves, sun damage, scratches etc. Not to keep it dry. If it was water tight, the water that would get through would never get out and mold and what not would appear.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Go with a cover indoors or out. But if you keep outdoors just make sure that it is secure or it flapping may scratch the car. If it can't breathe then when condensation builds up it can mildew on your car.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

I use a NOAH cover from California Car Cover and the car sits outside 24/7/365, including winter.

Your concerns about brake dust (and other dust) are valid, the car should be clean when you cover it. Best thing to do, in my opinion, is get a duster and when you bring the car back in from the short ride, give it a quick dusting, and maybe even a quick wipe down with a detail spray before you tuck it back in.

NickcZ28
    Mine gets covered in the winter, also garage kept.

02 WS6
    Quote Originally Posted by 345hpss
    I use a NOAH cover from California Car Cover and the car sits outside 24/7/365, including winter.

Your concerns about brake dust (and other dust) are valid, the car should be clean when you cover it. Best thing to do, in my opinion, is get a duster and when you bring the car back in from the short ride, give it a quick dusting, and maybe even a quick wipe down with a detail spray before you tuck it back in.

Thats what I was thinking. Quick detail spray and a wipe down. Good news also this week...Im getting a gas fired 45,000 btu hanging heater installed in the garage from my buddy (HVAC guy) so I think the detailing will be the trick, since it will be warm in the garage.

yes, i will definitely cover it up..

MR.LS1
    Yes cover your car and the noah car cover is best

IL Camaro Club Member z28smokin's Avatar

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

I also cover mine in the garage during winter. I have the SLP cover and like it.

LOLLIROT
    we have a car cover... it wasnt on for a while but now it is. the paint job isnt done and everyoneloves to put their greasy fingers on it..
    its good for keeping dust and such off.

Rituaul as follows Drive,Calif. duster, Detail spray and cover. Makes the next drive
    much easier.
    2001 Firehawk looking
    for more power !

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

California Car Cover has very extensive selection of covers. Indoor ones are much better for your car, as they can be made of softer materials (one is flannel if I recall). You don't need a bulky weatherproof cover for use inside your garage. But also, don't use an indoor cover outside. Won't give you the proper protection from the elements!

Black
    2013 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 345hpss

My car also sits outside 24/7/365.25 & I use an SLP cover since it fits perfect.

I totally agree with the above statement & I also clean my car before the cover goes on to prevent scratches.

Then I use the side tiedowns with a bungy underneath to prevent excess flapping from wind.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information