Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Buffers

This is a discussion on Buffers within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by NeedsaZ06 This Flex polisher is about twice the price as the XP and the Griots but it ...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by NeedsaZ06 View Post
    This Flex polisher is about twice the price as the XP and the Griots but it does cut twice as fast with the same materials. An Awesome tool to hang in the garage and but this is a step up from....noob

http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html
    +1. Skip the Porter Cable and go straight for the Flex. It's worth the extra money. Works in much less time. I have both and the PC makes a nice paper weight now.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Err, power tools near my finish skurs me honestly. One slip up is all it takes, or drop the tool, or it gets away from you and b-b--b-b-b-bam ruined................
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

alittle red and blue
    2010 Ford Interceptor

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    +1. Skip the Porter Cable and go straight for the Flex. It's worth the extra money. Works in much less time. I have both and the PC makes a nice paper weight now.
    He has little hands...

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I generally keep my PC buffer speed set to about 2,500 rpm. It has a max of 6,000 rpm. Alot of folks set the speed too high and burn through their clear coat. The only product I've used with it is 3Ms fine cut rubbing compound and their swirl mark remover and have always gotten great results. However, I generally don't use these products unless the scratches are beyond the capability of being filled in from the Zaino.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    I generally keep my PC buffer speed set to about 2,500 rpm. It has a max of 6,000 rpm. Alot of folks set the speed too high and burn through their clear coat. The only product I've used with it is 3Ms fine cut rubbing compound and their swirl mark remover and have always gotten great results. However, I generally don't use these products unless the scratches are beyond the capability of being filled in from the Zaino.
    3M compound ftw

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Yep! It's great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    3M compound ftw

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Click for full size Click for full size
    I don't believe a Porter Cable will burn thru a clear coat even at 6,000. I always used mine at 6,000. I could put pressure on it holding it in one place till the pad stops spinning, no problem.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

You enjoy doing that all you want then, my friend.

I don't believe a Porter Cable will burn thru a clear coat even at 6,000. I always used mine at 6,000. I could put pressure on it holding it in one place till the pad stops spinning, no problem.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You enjoy doing that all you want then, my friend.
    Disagreeing with me is fine but I don't see what's so funny. The PC ain't gonna hurt my car unless I drop it on it. 2,500 rpms is only good for applying wax with it. I've used it for years now and know it's capabilities and limits very well.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I am disagreeing with you and I'm laughing at the idea of running the pad in the same spot without moving it over the finish. You do whatever you wanna do. I've been using the PC for years now too and so far, running at at 2,5000 rpms does the trick removing blemishes in the finish.

Disagreeing with me is fine but I don't see what's so funny. The PC ain't gonna hurt my car unless I drop it on it. 2,500 rpms is only good for applying wax with it. I've used it for years now and know it's capabilities and limits very well.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I am disagreeing with you and I'm laughing at the idea of running the pad in the same spot without moving it over the finish. You do whatever you wanna do. I've been using the PC for years now too and so far, running at at 2,5000 rpms does the trick removing blemishes in the finish.
    Ya I don't polish the car on spot at a time Einstein, I was just saying you can hold it there and it won't hurt it. You polish yours how you like and I'll do mine the way most everybody does. 2,500 rpms won't cut it with black, heck Pewter isn't even a challenge. Cheers.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I agree- it would be very hard to burn the clear/paint with a pc- I never have- but somehow I have read more than one thread where someone lost there mind and somehow did.

I think it is a very easy machine to use. I would get a flex but my car doesn't leave the garage enough to warrant having 2 buffers.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Looks like i'll be looking into that PC soon.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

You don't have to get nasty here bud. We're just having a discussion on buffers.

Ya I don't polish the car on spot at a time Einstein, I was just saying you can hold it there and it won't hurt it. You polish yours how you like and I'll do mine the way most everybody does. 2,500 rpms won't cut it with black, heck Pewter isn't even a challenge. Cheers.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You don't have to get nasty here bud. We're just having a discussion on buffers.
    Not trying to be nasty but I don't want newbie detailers to think that the PC will harm the car if used full speed. Here's a few threads from the Autogeek Detailing forum on the subject. Just trying to stop the spread of misinformation.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...424-speed.html
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...hat-speed.html
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...054-speed.html
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...speed-use.html

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am all for protecting a paint job from harm. But after using a buffer I simply do not have a huge concern over cooking my paint with it. I am an absolute novice with it and had no difficulty after being shown how to do it. Use a foam pad, keep it damp, do not over apply compound or use excessive pressure, and stay off the edges.

As Goose does in the pics he posts, use blue painters tape to keep the compound off plastic parts, trim and badges, and to protect any areas you think you might have an issue with. It just wasn't that hard to do as long as you pay attention and use common sense.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

There are a lot of misconception about buffers.
    You have to know what buffers are designed to do and how to use it for your specific application...
    Common sense will keep you out of trouble. A rotary buffer is considered a machine for the pros, not that the weekend detailer shouldn't use, but you would hardly ever have to use one on a regular basis, if keeping your car looking good is what you're after

I've have at least one buffer for just about any type of application. I do because this is what I do and I need to have more than one buffer.
    I however don't use them all when I detail a car. Most of the cars I detail are for most part in good shape, just like I imagine most of you guys keep your F-Bodies.
    Once in a while I do a wetsanding job and odd stuff that most of you guys won't be dealing with on a regular basis...

With that being said, the PC7424XP is still your best bet. There are other comparable buffers that fall on the same category like the Griots new and improved DA Buffer, Meguiards, and the Flex. All good in my opinion.

Out of those mentiones, the Flex is the best. It's perhaps a little cumbersome to use to apply sealants and glaze with since it's a bit heavier than most DA buffers, but it definitely does an awesome job correcting defects. It's worth the money

So, in my own experience, if all I wanted to do was just my own car, and few friends' I would just keep only one buffer, and that will be the PC7424XP because of its versatility and easy to handle in most applications

I did almost all of my details for the last 4-5 years using the older version of the PC7424 along with a small rotary buffer for bigger jobs, it wasn't until this year when I finally stepped up to the Flex
    That should tell you how much faith I have in the PC7424. Although I'm yet to personally use the new PC7424XP, I will venture to say that you'll be happy with it...
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 11-03-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Click for full size Click for full size
    Outside the Menzerna line of polishes, those two 3M products do a great job. you won't be disappointed with those two...

alittle red and blue
    2010 Ford Interceptor

This is what i've been using ....its the poo, Used nothing but Meguiars at the shop i worked at. I really like the #105 and #205
    Last edited by NeedsaZ06; 11-04-2009 at 01:48 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information