Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bought my first clay bar kit...tips?

This is a discussion on Bought my first clay bar kit...tips? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; I use the Meguiar's Quick Detailer and I haven't had a problem with it As for the clay bar, don't ...

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

I use the Meguiar's Quick Detailer and I haven't had a problem with it
    As for the clay bar, don't use the whole bar. Split it in two, that should be enough to do what you need to do
    Take one half of the clay bar, and leave the other one in the wrapper. Take that half and knead it under running warm/hot water. The hot water will make it easier to stretch. Stretch it out big enough to where you can hold it with four fingers and your thumb
    Use a lot of lube, check your clay bar often for embedded particles. DO NOT flip the clay bar to the other side when one side becomes soiled, instead, fold it in half, that way you will always have two clean sides, if you flip it then you'll have two dirty sides and you'll be wasting time...
    Fo9ld it in half and stretch it back out to where it was before, and so on...
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 05-02-2009 at 12:49 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I got er done, it was easy after I did it for a few minutes. Most of the car didn't need it and wasn't picking anything up, but then I found the tough spots.

Lower doors and the rear bumper were the worst.

If I get bored I will clay the grand prix Sunday, should look a lot better

None

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I got er done, it was easy after I did it for a few minutes. Most of the car didn't need it and wasn't picking anything up, but then I found the tough spots.

Ur starting to convince me?

Red
    2002 z28

you can use one piece of clay for the car just make sure to fold over the clay when you start on a new section of the car. By folding the clay over you expose new clay that doesn't contain all the contaminants you took out of the pain on the previos sections of paint you cleaned.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose View Post
    I use the Meguiar's Quick Detailer and I haven't had a problem with it
    As for the clay bar, don't use the whole bar. Split it in two, that should be enough to do what you need to do
    Take one half of the clay bar, and leave the other one in the wrapper. Take that half and knead it under running warm/hot water. The hot water will make it easier to stretch. Stretch it out big enough to where you can hold it with four fingers and your thumb
    Use a lot of lube, check your clay bar often for embedded particles. DO NOT flip the clay bar to the other side when one side becomes soiled, instead, fold it in half, that way you will always have two clean sides, if you flip it then you'll have two dirty sides and you'll be wasting time...
    Fo9ld it in half and stretch it back out to where it was before, and so on...
    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post

The claying is the fast part, really. I mean just keep it lubed-but like people have said, you shouldn't be spending lots of time or energy in each spot...just a few swipes and then fold it again.

If you know your car is clean, just do the spots that road grime affectst the most:
    front bumper
    lower fenders/doors/rockers
    rear quarter after the wheel
    and the spot that gets the most crap for whatever reason: the rear bumper "shelf"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information