Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

black trim on t-tops faded......any solutions ?

This is a discussion on black trim on t-tops faded......any solutions ? within the Showcar and Detailing forums, part of the General Help category; Ok...tried the walmart Bondo restore black and all I have to say at this point is 100% JUNK. I swear ...

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Ok...tried the walmart Bondo restore black and all I have to say at this point is 100% JUNK. I swear it is worse now than before, it goes on a dark glossy black but with regards to t-top trim it sucks. After 3 coats side by side to the other one it looks almost duller after it dried. But the stuff will stick to clothing, skin and anything but the t-top trim WTF. I was even more pissed after spending all the time taping the t-top window to prevent the junk from smearing on it. Since I knew it was a failure, I tested a small sample with the Peanut Butter on the other t-top and all I can say is wow. I don't know about the longevity or about cat's (lol) but it looks great at this time. I will look at it again tomorrow when the sun is out since it was near dusk when I finished today. Also I will see if it attracts cat's since we have 2, but haven't had any problems with them on the vehicles until winter. I also used some PB on the t-top divider and can say it improved by at least 90%. Will post final results tomorrow.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    Where is the 303 aerospace sold at??
    You should know

http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    Well, Since I am currently having a problem with a stupid cat climbing on my car at night and sitting on the top. I don't think I will be trying the Peanut Butter to clean mine up. I'll probably have all of the neighborhoods cats up there.
    Might be a good solution to try the PB with a mix of rat poison??

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

im thinkin baout tryin the PB thing how long do you leave it on before you wipe it off n how hard was it to get off?also would it work on the black trim right under your windshield?

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_m70 View Post
    Ok...tried the walmart Bondo restore black and all I have to say at this point is 100% JUNK. I swear it is worse now than before, it goes on a dark glossy black but with regards to t-top trim it sucks. After 3 coats side by side to the other one it looks almost duller after it dried. But the stuff will stick to clothing, skin and anything but the t-top trim WTF. I was even more pissed after spending all the time taping the t-top window to prevent the junk from smearing on it. Since I knew it was a failure, I tested a small sample with the Peanut Butter on the other t-top and all I can say is wow. I don't know about the longevity or about cat's (lol) but it looks great at this time. I will look at it again tomorrow when the sun is out since it was near dusk when I finished today. Also I will see if it attracts cat's since we have 2, but haven't had any problems with them on the vehicles until winter. I also used some PB on the t-top divider and can say it improved by at least 90%. Will post final results tomorrow.

man I almost bought that stuff today

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by gable2000ta View Post
    im thinkin baout tryin the PB thing how long do you leave it on before you wipe it off n how hard was it to get off?also would it work on the black trim right under your windshield?
    A little goes a long way, I just took a clean paper towel, dipped a little PB on it and worked it in like if you were polishing chrome wheels, then took a clean paper towel and wiped off the excess. I would think it would work on that trim too since it worked on the t-top divider bar and the results on it was amazing, it looked blueish grayish before after years of sun abuse. If I can figure how to post pic's i'll post them tomorrow.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

A little goes a long way, I just took a clean paper towel, dipped a little PB on it and worked it in like if you were polishing chrome wheels, then took a clean paper towel and wiped off the excess. I would think it would work on that trim too since it worked on the t-top divider bar and the results on it was amazing, it looked blueish grayish before after years of sun abuse. If I can figure how to post pic's i'll post them tomorrow.

one time I tried olive oil.......looked super but didnt last long lol

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    man I almost bought that stuff today

Save your money!! When it was applied I was so happy, it look shinny new, but when dried it look dull as crap, like nothing happened. Repeated 2 more times with same effect. Those pictures on the box must have been right after applied and the 6 month later pic on bed liner has to be BS. Hair dye would do a better job lol. I'm looking to see it again in the morning maybe something magical will happen over night but I wouldn't hold my breath though. I am still dumbfounded on how the applicator and even the tape is a glossy black but the trim looks like nothing happened.

SILVER
    1998 Z28

one time I tried olive oil.......looked super but didnt last long lol
    I thought about trying olive oil, peanut oil, or even veg. oil. But like you said those and pb won't last long either. I had hopes in the Bondo crap since it was suppose to be a dye, but like most car care stuff it is all hype, ky jelly would more than likely work better lol.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

You could try Forever Black, it is a permanent dye, read about it here...

http://www.autogeek.net/trim-molding.html

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Checked it again this morning and conclusions still the same except the PB trick. No cat problem lol but since the t-top trim is textured, the PB will stick in the texture for a not so pleasant site. I even wasted more time recoating the t-top with the Bondo crap and after 3 more coats I did have some glossy black in streaks where the gel was thicker. In the sun on a scale of 0-10, 0 being before the application I would give it a 1 at best, but with the streaking effecting it think it looks worse. And yes I did follow directions, cleaned, dried, and applied in the shade of my shop. I even tested it on the rubber seals and after dried couldn't tell any difference. If someone put a very thick coat on it it would work, but getting a thick coat even would be almost impossible and would take a whole bottle for one t-top I think. After 6 coats and seeing the results I would say the Bondo stuff is busted. I will email Bondo and see if I can get an answer to why the crap doesn't work.

The forever black stuff looks alot like the bondo stuff except applicator doesn't have the curve for the tires. If someone tries it let us know, but I have wasted enough money and time on the Bondo crap for now.

I think I will buy some peanut oil and see what the outcome of it is. I don't expect it to be a long time fix. I'm am testing the the olive oil, veg. oil, and peanut oil to see how well and long they hold up. Time will tell.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Checked it again this morning and conclusions still the same except the PB trick. No cat problem lol but since the t-top trim is textured, the PB will stick in the texture for a not so pleasant site. I even wasted more time recoating the t-top with the Bondo crap and after 3 more coats I did have some glossy black in streaks where the gel was thicker. In the sun on a scale of 0-10, 0 being before the application I would give it a 1 at best, but with the streaking effecting it think it looks worse. And yes I did follow directions, cleaned, dried, and applied in the shade of my shop. I even tested it on the rubber seals and after dried couldn't tell any difference. If someone put a very thick coat on it it would work, but getting a thick coat even would be almost impossible and would take a whole bottle for one t-top I think. After 6 coats and seeing the results I would say the Bondo stuff is busted. I will email Bondo and see if I can get an answer to why the crap doesn't work.

The forever black stuff looks alot like the bondo stuff except applicator doesn't have the curve for the tires. If someone tries it let us know, but I have wasted enough money and time on the Bondo crap for now.

I think I will buy some peanut oil and see what the outcome of it is. I don't expect it to be a long time fix. I'm am testing the the olive oil, veg. oil, and peanut oil to see how well and long they hold up. Time will tell.

olive oil has an incredible shine but doesnt last long, great for the day of car shows/ cruise- ins ...............I tried mothers back to black today, looks great will see how long it last

Black
    2005 GTO

I'm a little skeptical of using any kind of oil on this part or any plastic part or even paint for that matter. If you think about it what happens to your skin if you put oil on it and then go in the sun for hours, you'll burn like a mother. Any oil will only ampliy the suns intensity. The oil will proabably look good when first applied but once it is absorbed or wears off I think it will look worse than before.

Good luck with that back to black that stuff blows.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I'm a little skeptical of using any kind of oil on this part or any plastic part or even paint for that matter. If you think about it what happens to your skin if you put oil on it and then go in the sun for hours, you'll burn like a mother. Any oil will only ampliy the suns intensity. The oil will proabably look good when first applied but once it is absorbed or wears off I think it will look worse than before.

Good luck with that back to black that stuff blows.
    True, but black also absorbs more light than any color and mine couldn't be damaged much more unless it turns white. I thought the same as you but in my case I cann't hurt it any more than it is now.

SILVER
    1998 Z28

olive oil has an incredible shine but doesnt last long, great for the day of car shows/ cruise- ins ...............I tried mothers back to black today, looks great will see how long it last
    Yep it looked great for about 1 day then gone, the rubber trim pieces lasted about 1 -2 hours too. Olive oil did last longer than the veg. and I haven't had time to try the p-nut oil (car been in shop). My mechanic had some foam spray that looked fantastic, he applied it to my t-tops and it reminds me of tire shine, probaly the same thing with different name. I picked it up today for a homecoming parade (friend wanted to borrow it for his daughter) then took it back for more repairs (dang stealership ordered wrong part) (pully bearings going bad, WD 40 for the fix today lol) but short of a TRUE DYE, i believe temp fixs are only available other than the walmart crap, it did work in dying my shorts though lol. I wonder how the paint used to paint the interior trim would work?? Sometimes I wish I still had my part time job at the bodyshop like I had 10 years ago when in college.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

the mothers back to black still looks pretty good on it

Bright Silver Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I'm a 303 aerospace protectant fan. Works great on the trim and lasts much longer than that crappy back to black.
    I agree--I have used that for a couple of years and the trim looks like new!

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I second that. I use Back to Black on all my trim, rubber and plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman View Post
    You can try a product made by Mothers...its called "Back To Black".

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

i used turtle wax ICE liquid polish.. Expensive yes, works yes.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I wouldn't recomend the liquid polish on a black car though. Takes forever to get the spots it leaves behind out. The paste polish works great though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information