Silver
    2002 Firebird T/A - WS6

Question Best Tire Treatment?

Hi-
    I'm relatively new to the forum so this has probably been discussed, but what has anyone found to be the best looking and longest lasting treatment to keep your tires clean and black and shiny?
    I've tried foams, silicones, whatever, and none seem to both last a long time and do a good job.
    Thanks for replies.

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 PONTIAC TRANS AM WS6

the first thing i do is use a rim cleaner to strip everything off the tire and a scrub brush and hose it down. i perfer to use black magic tire shine. with a old applicator and were a glove doing this. that black stuff gets under the nails.

RED
    1998 Camaro SS Vert

Meguiars makes a tire gel that works awesome, and lasts for a long time. I just use an applicator pad to apply it, and I first use some type of cleaner like bleach white to clean the tire off. This seems to work great.

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

I use an old shop rag and scrub the tire off then i use a cleaning solvent to get the rest of the tire that i missed. I dont like to use the gel cause it just gunks up all over the tire. I love Black Magic!!!!! Spray it on the applicator and apply evenly over the surface of the tire. If there is too much i wipe off with old rag.

Silver
    2002 Firebird T/A - WS6

Thanks a lot guys- I'll be trying your suggestions.

I USED TO WORK AT AN AUTO BODY SHOP, AND WE ACTUALLY USED 89 CENT HIGH GLOSS BLACK SPRAY PAINT,BELEIVE IT OR NOT,YOU GOTTA TRY IT.JUST SCRUB THE TIRES REALLY WELL, MASK OFF, THEN SPARY AWAY.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Meguiars Gold Class Endurance High Gloss Long Lasting Tire Protectant Gel

Purple, and comes in a clear plastic bottle.

I typed the whole name becuase Mequiars makes a couple different types, but this is by far, the best. Put it on with an applicator and it will last at least a week, even through rain. Plus it smells like grapes. If you want them to be obscenely shiny, you can put a second coat on after 10 minutes too. I will usually wash the car, put one coat on, dry the car, and then put another coat on.

I would stay away from any kind of spray on tire shine. It doesn't look as good or stay on as long. It's pretty much the lazy way out.
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6
    SLP Lid, Flowmaster, Cutout, Spec Stage 3, Pro 5.0 w/ Lou's short stick, Pacesetter Race LT's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Nitto NT555R DR's, Moser 12-bolt with TrueTrac and 3.90s, RPM Speed LCA's and Panhard Bar

Pewter
    '99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by trans-am nut
    I USED TO WORK AT AN AUTO BODY SHOP, AND WE ACTUALLY USED 89 CENT HIGH GLOSS BLACK SPRAY PAINT,BELEIVE IT OR NOT,YOU GOTTA TRY IT.JUST SCRUB THE TIRES REALLY WELL, MASK OFF, THEN SPARY AWAY.
    1) Turn off caps-lock please.

2) I stopped listening after you said you were giving "body shop" advice. Bodyshops know little or nothing about detailing, in my experience.

Now, the reason you don't want to use spray paint is, well, rather simple. The tires are porous and flexible. Paint seals those pores and then the tire won't be able to "breathe" properly -- and effectively that will shorten the effective life of the tires. The rubber will simply start to rot from the inside out.

Then why are tire treatments oil based? Oil doesn't let anything "breathe". Do you have an answer there "Mr. Wizard"/ "Bill Nye The Science guy".

Pewter
    '99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by trans-am nut
    Then why are tire treatments oil based? Oil doesn't let anything "breathe". Do you have an answer there "Mr. Wizard"/ "Bill Nye The Science guy".
    Ignorance is bliss for you, I suppose. Not all tire treatments are oil based -- in fact the GOOD ones aren't oil based.

Rule #1: Never listen to a body shop when they give detailing advice.

Black
    '97 Trans Am

Spray painting your tires? WTF?

Remind me to never bring any of my cars to your body shop.

Black
    2000 Formula

What tire dresser will cause my tires to crack? Seems armoral (spell?) dry's and cracks my tires....
    been using black magic latley but tires were already cracking.

This was a problem on my old tires, waiting on answer before I do new ones...

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

medevecchio: The Meguiars stuff I mentioned above hasn't caused any trouble on my car or any of my friends' cars.
    It seems to be more of the liquid and spray types that cause problems. I think a gel may be your best bet.

Black
    2000 Formula

Thanks, I'll pick some up....
    I hate to ruin a set of tires.

Pewter
    '99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo98z
    medevecchio: The Meguiars stuff I mentioned above hasn't caused any trouble on my car or any of my friends' cars.
    It seems to be more of the liquid and spray types that cause problems. I think a gel may be your best bet.
    I agree about the Meguiar's stuff... but disagree with the reason why. The liquid/spray versus gel has nothing to do with whether it'd dry/crack/rot the tires or not. The difference is between solvent/silicone based dressings and water based dressings. Solvents and silicones will cause dry rot and cracking, water based dressings don't and are perfectly safe to use. That's why it's so important to stay away from the solvent/silicone dressings whenever possible. I've found VERY FEW times that a solvent/silicone dressing was called for over a water based one.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Maybe it's just that the sprays are more commonly the solvent type. Basically what I was getting at is that every person I've seen with problems cause by a tire treatment has been using some form of spray stuff.
    Bottom line: use the Meguiars gel stuff.

Black
    2000 Formula

Thanks all for the heads up... Gel it is

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo98z
    Meguiars Gold Class Endurance High Gloss Long Lasting Tire Protectant Gel

Purple, and comes in a clear plastic bottle.

I typed the whole name becuase Mequiars makes a couple different types, but this is by far, the best. Put it on with an applicator and it will last at least a week, even through rain. Plus it smells like grapes. If you want them to be obscenely shiny, you can put a second coat on after 10 minutes too. I will usually wash the car, put one coat on, dry the car, and then put another coat on.

I would stay away from any kind of spray on tire shine. It doesn't look as good or stay on as long. It's pretty much the lazy way out.
    What Jimbo said....

Thread Information