Lifes A Garden, Dig It!!! 02convertibleT/A's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

2001 Mustang GT Headlight Restoration

This is a headlight restoration i did on my gf's 01 Mustang GT. Its oxidized fairly good on the inside also, so even after oing the headlights, i still went out and bought a new set. but here's the pics.

i used Meguiers headlight Restoration Kit.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-pla...light-kit.html

i didnt realize i took pics of opposite headlights util i uploaded them. lol. But they both were the same before and after.

BEFORE!!

AFTER

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

WOW that stuff does work, I bought that kit but haven't used it yet. How many cars can you do with it?

Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    WOW that stuff does work, I bought that kit but haven't used it yet. How many cars can you do with it?
    i barely touched the bottle, lol... just make sure you hand wash the buffer. i just got a bucket and put water in it and just rubbed it clean. worked perfect.

A lot of discoloration/hazing did come back so i hit it again and it seems better and better as i went. did it 3 times. Then it stopped hazing as much after a few hours of doing it the third time. Like i said, a lot of oxidation on the inside of the headlights too, thats the reason i still went and bought new ones.

I may tear em apart and do the inside of the lens just for fun and see how it looks and epoxy the lens back on.
    Last edited by 02convertibleT/A; 07-30-2009 at 03:54 AM.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 02convertibleT/A View Post
    i barely touched the bottle, lol... just make sure you hand wash the buffer. i just got a bucket and put water in it and just rubbed it clean. worked perfect. A lot of discoloration did come back so i hit it again and it seems better and better as i went. did it 3 times. Then it stopped hazing as much after a few hours of doing it the third time. Like i said, a lot of oxidation on the inside of the headlights too, thats the reason i still went and bought new ones. I may tear em apart and do the inside of the lens just for fun and see how it looks and epoxy the lens back on.
    let me know I would like to do it to both of our daily drivers. My truck is really bad

Pewter

let me know I would like to do it to both of our daily drivers. My truck is really bad
    let you know what? go ahead and use it. It works to clean a lot of the crap off. I would hand clean the pad first, it threw a lot of that yellow crap on my car (dust from the buffer). I would clean it first to get a lot of the loose fibers from the buffer out of it.

when im done i used a microfiber towel to wipe clean, then applied a thing coat of it to the headlught b/c its a wax. I need to put a coat of it on our new headlights to help save them from any damage later.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 02convertibleT/A View Post
    let you know what? go ahead and use it. It works to clean a lot of the crap off. I would hand clean the pad first, it threw a lot of that yellow crap on my car (dust from the buffer). I would clean it first to get a lot of the loose fibers from the buffer out of it.

when im done i used a microfiber towel to wipe clean, then applied a thing coat of it to the headlught b/c its a wax. I need to put a coat of it on our new headlights to help save them from any damage later.
    I wanted to know how the inside cleaning goes. If I have time this weekend and weather allows I will try it out.

Did you take them off the car?

Pewter

I wanted to know how the inside cleaning goes. If I have time this weekend and weather allows I will try it out.

Did you take them off the car?
    who knows when ill get to that. Im doing the inside just to see what happens. but i prolly wont get to that for a while.

No i didnt take them off the car, just tape off the paint and bumper around your headlights with painters tape. It is not going to hurt your paint if it gets on the paint or the wheel rubs against the paint, i mainly did it b/c i just detailed the rest of the vehicle and did wanna wipe off more stuff from the paint.

Then i did the taillights on the stang, made a difference. Then i did the headlights and taillights on my 08 Taurus X. Its an 08 with 20K and i noticed a slight difference on the headlights. Its worth it. im going to use it everytime i fully detail my personal cars, unless im doing someones car who REALLY needs it, then i will. And on newer lights, or incredibly clean lights, you only need one pass and wipe the excess off. Remember this is only for plastic headlights.
    Last edited by 02convertibleT/A; 07-30-2009 at 04:11 AM.

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Very good job. Came out awesome!

Pewter

thanks. you can see some of the crap on the inside in the clean pic...

Red
    2001 ws6

3M is also a great compound that will do the same thing, looks good tho bro

Thread Information