XM Radio Instal

This is a discussion on XM Radio Instal within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; Hello, I just bought a Skyfi2 XM reciever for my 2001 WS6, with the moonsoon head unit (but no cd ...

Sunset Orange
    2001 WS6

XM Radio Instal

Hello,
    I just bought a Skyfi2 XM reciever for my 2001 WS6, with the moonsoon head unit (but no cd changer in the rear). The FM transmitter built into the XM radio is really weak, also all the preset channels it transmitts on are used in my area.

I want to get either a fm transmitter that pulgs into the antenna line, or an Aux input that goes into the cd changer spot. Has anyone done this? if so, how did it turn out.

Also, I am at a loss for finding somewhere to place the XM radio antenna. The maginet in it is very weak, and doesn't hold well to metal. Not to metion the lack of metal surfaces, with the T-Tops. At first I just stuck it on the roof, and ran the wire through the T-Tops and to the radio. But the antenna would bounce around on the highway. It seems to work inside the car, but not as well. I'm thinking of sticking it to the dash at the front of the windsheild.

Thanks

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

There is no good place to put it to be honest...If you have T-tops...I've installed a couple on the top of the dash and ran the wire down the defrost vent and used some velco to hold it on...It works fine that way...As for the reception just get an FM modualtor for XM it's 24.99 at any best buy and it's cake to hook up and they work extremely well. You will need 2 antenna adapters if you have the factory radio...A GM reverse and a regular GM adapter. Which is about $25.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Someone needs to make a sticky on this stuff...

Go to these two pages.

The iPod sites have devices that will also work for installing "ANY" XM or Sirius Sat. system. Unlsess you do what I did, and then it's just self explanitory .

some random audio/ipod questions

xm radio antena.........

Enjoy!

Rob
    Last edited by graphicsgod; 04-10-2006 at 01:31 PM.

1999 Chevy Camaro

BTW, this is what I got running in my house (just got it last month) . Since I'm at the computer alot (minus when I'm working on my car). Love it!! It's like tivo for Sat. radio. If I miss something, just rewind. Hate a song, fast forward. Too cool!! Now I just need a head unit that can do the same .

Click here to purchase.

Rob
    Last edited by graphicsgod; 04-10-2006 at 01:55 PM.

Navy Blue
    2000 Firebird

My xm radio sticks excellently next to the right rear quarter panel next to the factory fm antenna on the outside. Its a biotch to try to remove from that spot. lots of metal there.

red
    04 pontiac gto

gotta question with xm dropping in sales what are they charging for monthly service now.....not that i would ever get xm i love my sirius and howard stern channel is the shiznit but i hear xm is suffering badly from howard stern going to sirius.i had mine installed right behind my t-tops cant really notice it unless you know its there

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

hooo hooo hooo I invented satellite radio Robin, along with this message board... And I love my Sirius radio hooo hooo hooo everything hides real well except for the microwave sized receiver. What does price matter if you never plan on getting the service? Please research sales information before posting something like that I bet you got you information right from Howards channel. He asked a question and you came back with an ad about serious radio with no real answer since they are 2 totally different models. I have the same unit you do and I installed my antennae right on the dash with a little bit of double sided tape ran the wire up the a piller into the creases of the air bag upper crease and mounted it right past the air bag looks good and doesn't do bad until you go under a wide bridge or other obstacle. I also got the fm modulator and did have to buy the two antennae pieces to make it work but quality of sound is a lot better. I mounted the unit in my ashtray area since I don't use it - but took some getting use to working the buttons withought looking down all the time.

red
    04 pontiac gto

Quote Originally Posted by mikeaford
    hooo hooo hooo I invented satellite radio Robin, along with this message board... And I love my Sirius radio hooo hooo hooo everything hides real well except for the microwave sized receiver. What does price matter if you never plan on getting the service? Please research sales information before posting something like that I bet you got you information right from Howards channel. He asked a question and you came back with an ad about serious radio with no real answer since they are 2 totally different models. I have the same unit you do and I installed my antennae right on the dash with a little bit of double sided tape ran the wire up the a piller into the creases of the air bag upper crease and mounted it right past the air bag looks good and doesn't do bad until you go under a wide bridge or other obstacle. I also got the fm modulator and did have to buy the two antennae pieces to make it work but quality of sound is a lot better. I mounted the unit in my ashtray area since I don't use it - but took some getting use to working the buttons withought looking down all the time.
    its just a question cheif no need to get all upset over it.i was just wondering cause i heard from a best buy guy and on howard stern that they are begging people to stay on xm.alot of car companies as well are going with sirus instead of xm.in fact people who had xm installed when they bought there car are trying to get the dealers to swap it out to sirius.i figured i asked the question here because the topic was about xm..

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

I get my blood in a boil because the topic here was XM and the best way to install the equipment. The question however was not heh should I get XM or serious ? However you have again turned this into a commercial. Do you work for them, it sure seems that way? There are good points and bad points to each company. But let people be influenced by facts not Howard or the best buy guy who like you chose to go with the doggie company - nothing wrong about that it is at the end of the day how you choose to spend your money. But when you come on here and say XM's broke and since Howard's on they must have raised there prices to stay alive - nonsense. Here's a good site to check before boasting how bad one company is doing compared to the other instead of the howie or the best buy person who said it so it must be true. http://www.radiosatellite.org/
    This was last updated in February but still close for todays figures as well. XM has also signed on Oprah who personally I don't like but that doesn't mean that the woman wont love her. different strokes for different folks so either help with install of XM units or start a new thread.
    NASDAQ info XM radio - currently calued at 3-4 billion serius radio currently valued at 2-3 billion xm radio currently at 6,000,000+ subscribers serius radio currently at 3,000,000+ subscribers.
    xm radio XM has 68 streams of music that have:

CD-quality sound
    A wide variety of music genre's covered (Rock, Reggae, etc.)
    A depth of music selection, within each genre.
    Commercials: XM's 68 music streams now run Commercial Free.
    Re-broadcasting: XM no longer rebroadcasts Clear Channel content but continues to maintain a business relationship with Clear Channel.

Serius CD-quality sound
    A wide variety of music genre's covered (Rock, Reggae, etc.)
    A depth of music selection, within each genre.
    Commercials: All 65 Sirius music streams are commercial-free.
    Re-broadcasting: Sirius does not run program loops or rebroadcast of other radio stations. All of its music programming is completely original and is produced in-house by stream jockeys who live and breathe the music they spin.

Sunset Orange
    2001 WS6

Hey guys,

So I installed my XM radio.... I stuck the antenna in the middle of the dash against the windshield. Thanks to GM's poor quality interiors, I was able to hide the wires very easily. I stuck the wire in the gap between the dash and windshield, the over to the passenger side A pillar. Around the A pillar, and then down under the glove box, and in to a large hole between the floor and bottom of the radio.

I stuck the receiver on the vent hooks provided into the far right vent above the radio. I didn't want to mount it to the dash, I'm trying to keep my car in as original as possible (I plan to keep it for ever). When itís mounted in the vent, it hangs over the radio just enough to block the wires which I ran between the radio and the trim. Its good, looks nice and clean.

I also bought a FM Modulator, to boost the signal. It works slightly better than the the XM receiver, but its still pretty poor signal quaility. I'll have to find a better.

On the note of which is better, XM or Sirus? I don't know.... I live in Canada, so the programing is a bit different. But for some reason the XM dropped a few channels from their line up. 21 & 22, which where my favorites before. I called them, thinking it was a problem with my reciever or signal, but they said the dropped those channels?!?!? Kind of backwards...

Thanks

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by 2001 SOM WS6 View Post
    Hey guys,

So I installed my XM radio.... I stuck the antenna in the middle of the dash against the windshield.
    I just bought a car with this exact XM antenna setup, but I think they ran the cable underneath, anyone know how to take the dash pad out?
    (BTW-I tired to "get the download" for XM to sign up a new acct, never could, bad reception I think?

Thread Information