Thread: Wiring Problem?

Black
    98 Trans AM

Wiring Problem?

The car in question is a 98 T/A, 6speed manual. LS1.

Underneath the console/shifter boot are some wires and plugs. From what I can see, one of the wires go to the power outlet, another set go to the ashtray light.

Branching off from the ashtray light wire is another set with a square plug on the end but is unplugged and can't figure out where it goes.

Does this sound like something that should be plugged in somewhere or maybe something the previous owner had hooked up extra?

Thanks... 98 t/a ...borla catback...b&m short shifter...4:10gears....

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Just looked. Could it be for the power seats?

Black
    98 Trans AM

No I don't think so. Both my seats work fine.. I'm just starting to think now that maybe at one point had traction control but I don't have a button for that. just a pocket there.

I'll take a picture of the connector when I get a chance ...or eh I don't think I can post pics yet where I'm new..or maybe I can..not sure..I'll check it out,

Maybe someone will recognize the connector from there own rig.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

TCS makes sense...the harness would be the same and have the plug still even if you're particular car didn't come equiped right?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbandit View Post
    The car in question is a 98 T/A, 6speed manual. LS1.

Underneath the console/shifter boot are some wires and plugs. From what I can see, one of the wires go to the power outlet, another set go to the ashtray light.

Branching off from the ashtray light wire is another set with a square plug on the end but is unplugged and can't figure out where it goes.

Does this sound like something that should be plugged in somewhere or maybe something the previous owner had hooked up extra?

Thanks... 98 t/a ...borla catback...b&m short shifter...4:10gears....

Ashtray light didn't know we had a light in there, I'll have to check mine.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

On an auto there is a light to backlight the shift position indicator, maybe it's for that and since its not used on a M6 it just sits there empty.

Black
    98 Trans AM

As far as the TCS goes...I guess just figure out if indeed the tcs harness comes factory on all cars...even if the car didn't come with TCS. I did hear somewhere that all the dash clusters are the same and my dash does have the tcs and trac off lights...but no button..Does anyone know for sure? For some reason though.. the plug connector just seems to be too big to plug into a relatively small tcs button.

Black
    98 Trans AM

Yeah ...Ashtray light..maybe thats just on Canadian models.....I forget sometimes that our cars are different in some ways....like miles and kilometers..I don't think there are many though... On the other hand (funny) the bulb is inserted in a little....what looks like a minature welding mask....with a tiny tiny small space for the light to shine out....then that light shining out ...shines into a tiny tiny small hole in the ashtray.....end result is you have to be in pitch black to even see a glare. Useless.
    Last edited by Blackbandit; 02-26-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: left something out

Black
    98 Trans AM

That's true Also, could be another factory hookup not being used. I've heard of places on the dash with indentations where that option is not on your vehicle...a "what you could have had" button that don't work because you didn't pay the extra dollar for the fully loaded one. lol...but do they do that with wires and connectors too?
    Last edited by Blackbandit; 02-26-2009 at 04:49 PM.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Yeah ...Ashtray light..maybe thats just on Canadian models.....I forget sometimes that our cars are different in some ways....like miles and kilometers..I don't think there are many though... On the other hand (funny) the bulb is inserted in a little....what looks like a minature welding mask....with a tiny tiny small space for the light to shine out....then that light shining out ...shines into a tiny tiny small hole in the ashtray.....end result is you have to be in pitch black to even see a glare. Useless.
    My camaro has an ashtray light.

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

Read this. Not sure it will help but might give some explaination to what you might be looking for.

Black
    98 Trans AM

Read What?

black
    2002 WS6

To make production faster, easier and economical, the harnesses on most car along the same model were the same. The plugs and connectors were used or not used as options were added or taken away.

Chances are that the connector youa re refering to, by my guess is for the shift indicator light, or lock out solinoid for auto cars.

Black
    98 Trans AM

I'd say your probably right to man...Everything is working anyhow....was just wondering...thanks

my guess is the automatic shifter solenoid to keep it from starting out of park

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

Read What?
    Not sure what happend to the link. Here it is.

http://shbox.com/accy/Accessory.html

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

I just installed a new Radio in my car this past weekend and noticed that I have the same. I have a 6 speed and could not figure out where this connector went to. If its the TCS can it be connected and work? It would be cool if someone here could identify what this connector is too.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 99WS6MAN View Post
    I just installed a new Radio in my car this past weekend and noticed that I have the same. I have a 6 speed and could not figure out where this connector went to. If its the TCS can it be connected and work? It would be cool if someone here could identify what this connector is too.
    I'm pretty sure the plug that you guys are talking about is for the TCS switch. Regardless of whether or not your car had TCS from the factory, the harness should still be there.

As for hooking it up and having it work, thats not possbie. The difference between TCS equipped and Non-TCS cars is much more than just the switch. The TCS cars have the TCS program in the ECU, they have different throttle cables, a separate TCS module under the hood, and a different axle (4 channel instead of 3 channel). In other words, trying to convert your car from Non-TCS to TCS is not worth the time or money.

Thread Information