Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

Thumbs up Wiring Highs into the Sails

I ran a search, couldn't find anything about getting the high signals to run to the sail panel speakers.. I recently put in a pair of two-way Infinity's and they're just getting the low input, the tweeters aren't putting out any sound.

Could I splice the the tweeter signal from the front door speakers into the sail speaker lines just after the monsoon amp?

Car is a 2001 camaro with the monsoon system, infinity components in the front, 2 ways in the sails, and 2 ways in the hatch...

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

you could do that, or if you plan to run a real amp, you could just run new speaker wire to them.

but yes, you can run the wires from the doors to the tweeters. and that would work better than running them from the speakers in the hatch. those are full range speakers. not really two ways. unless they're aftermarket. but the signal going to them from the monsoon makes them full range.

Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

Speakers in the hatch are 4" kenwood 2ways btw.. But I think I will try splicing the front tweeter into the sail panel wires..

I only ask because at first, I tried combining the front door speakers (the midrange wires and the tweeter wires) into one input into my crossover, and then back out to the separate woofer and tweeter infinity components. The output was all funky, the tweeters weren't driving and the woofer was very week, I just ended up not using the crossover at all and wiring them directly to the woofer and tweeter inputs respectively.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

You are going to change impedence on stock amp by splicing in more highs; will prolly work for a while but bite you in the posterior in the end. If you want more sound, get an affordable aftermarket amp, which you may hide easily if you want a stock-appearing setup. Also, I have infinity coaxials in the behind the front seat 6.5 spot right now and the highs annoy me--have them pointed toward the rear. My next mod will be to put the highs in the original hatch speaker location which currently have nothing. I am thinking about just putting the 6.5s currently behind the front seats in the hatch and leaving the 6.5 holes empty. I have 2 12's in the back, and a/d/s components up front. 100x2 RMS up front, 50x2 RMS on infinity 6.5s that i am considering moving, and 250 rms on each 12" eclipse sub.

Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

The highs in the front are too bright they way they are now, I'd enjoy having them drop a few decibels. Frying the amp isn't what I have in mind though...

I also have two 12's in the hatch, and had my stock sail's disconnected because they would always distort. The 12's more than made up for the bass loss, but I went ahead and re-connected them when I got the infinity 2-ways.

Besides my subs, the whole system is a frankenstein, all my speakers are 4-ohm, highs are way to bright, I just need to re-do everything.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

do the crossovers for your components not have a tweeter volume switch? Mine have a 3-way toggle -3, 0, and +3 decibel. That would be a simple way to knock them down a bit if you can find one. Also, will lowering the highs a bit on the equalizer not fix it for ya? (assuming stock radio).

Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

The crossover for the components has a manual wiring screw that will drop -3dB, I could try to input the tweeter signal into the crossover, then back out through the -3, but it seems like a lot of trouble.

The 6.5" woofer is a 4ohm, so eventually I will switch it with a 2ohm that will balance out with the loud tweeters, I'm hoping...

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

your best bet off a stock setup is to pull the hatch wires forward and just use those in the sails

Thread Information