wiper delay

This is a discussion on wiper delay within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; either my car is possesed or something is wrong with my wiper relay switch.sometimes when i use the timer on ...

red
    04 pontiac gto

wiper delay

either my car is possesed or something is wrong with my wiper relay switch.sometimes when i use the timer on the wipers the wipers stop working but if i switch to constant on either low or high it works fine.so im guessing theres a problem with the relay for the wipers if thats what even controls it.does anyone know if there is a relay that controls the timer for the wipers if so wheres it located or if not what controls it..the problem is not constant it happpens from time to time but when it does i have no control over the time delay switch and have to turn it on in the constant postion..

red
    04 pontiac gto

anyone know/?

red
    04 pontiac gto

dam it happened to me again today ..i really need help

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

there's a variable 'relay' I believe... similar to the turn signals... I think it's thermal-based but I've never worked on it before... so I couldn't tell you where the relay is... is there one listed for the wiper delay in the fuse box?

red
    04 pontiac gto

i dont know havent had a chance to look due to the constant rain and work .it seems as if though its a thermal relay and it gets hot or something and stops then it starts working again wiothout me even touching anything.i have a day off tommorow hopefull the rain lets up so i can check it out

Mag Red Metallic/Silver
    '04 Vette/'99 Camaro

This could be the first signs of a wiper control module getting ready to fail; the GM trucks are famous for this!

When the wiper module in my Tahoe failed, it did so at night on an unlit road. That was a 20 mile drive I'll never forget!

The next morning, after it had stopped raining, the wipers worked fine in all modes, like nothing had ever happened.

The replacement was somewhere in the neighborhood of $35.

Just something to check out or keep in mind. HTH.

red
    04 pontiac gto

cool just gotta find out where the control module is now

Mag Red Metallic/Silver
    '04 Vette/'99 Camaro

Now that I'm home and can get to my Helm manuals, I can answer that question for you.

The delay module is located in the wiper motor cover. The wiper motor is located below the left side of the cowl near the left windshield wiper. To get to it, it looks like you remove the wiper arms, remove the air inlet grille panel, remove the water shield from the top of the motor assembly, remove a screw forward of the motor bracket, pull the assembly forward out of a bracket, unplug it, put it on a bench, and remove three screws holding the top cover on. The printed circuit card that controls wiper function is located in that cover. Pop it free and insert the new card, then reverse the steps above to reinstall the wiper motor.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

red
    04 pontiac gto

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmanjohn
    Now that I'm home and can get to my Helm manuals, I can answer that question for you.

The delay module is located in the wiper motor cover. The wiper motor is located below the left side of the cowl near the left windshield wiper. To get to it, it looks like you remove the wiper arms, remove the air inlet grille panel, remove the water shield from the top of the motor assembly, remove a screw forward of the motor bracket, pull the assembly forward out of a bracket, unplug it, put it on a bench, and remove three screws holding the top cover on. The printed circuit card that controls wiper function is located in that cover. Pop it free and insert the new card, then reverse the steps above to reinstall the wiper motor.

Good luck, and hope this helps.
    thanks it seems like im gonna have to perform surgery on it.theres gotta be an easier way

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro convertible

Unhappy

That's the same problem that my parents' 1997 Chevy Lumina has. Only sometimes I have to turn it to the constant "Lo" or "High" position to get it to turn on. Sometimes, the intermittent positions work on first try. Very strange...please let me know how it goes...I wouldn't mind getting this fixed either.

red
    04 pontiac gto

sure when i figure it out myself that is

Thread Information