Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Why does everyone here hate the Monsoon system?

This is a discussion on Why does everyone here hate the Monsoon system? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; i have nothing against the monsoon system. for a factory system its pretty good, just some weak door speakers (up ...

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

i have nothing against the monsoon system. for a factory system its pretty good, just some weak door speakers (up front). other than that, the system is great for a stock system. no complaints.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    6 speaker connections, but really only 5 speakers per side.

1. Door woofer
    2. Door tweeter
    3. Sub-woofer (4ohm DVC)
    4. Hatch woofer
    5. Hatch tweeter
    yes, that's right
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I am still debating as to whether I am going to replace the sail-panel woofers though... I would have to get a set of 7kv.2 woofers, since they seem to fit just fine... a year or so ago, I purchased the eu-700s before they came out with the new woofers, and they really don't fit. They needed some vehicle trimming, and also some spacers... I think if I set 7kv.2's up properly, they can give me some good mid-range bass... stuff that I really don't want my big subwoofers playing...
    i didn't realize the 7kv.2 was actually a redesign...i thought they just renamed the EU so it would be consistant nomenclature....that makes me want to buy them again, b/c honestly, the install is not clean with the EUs [granted i wrote the write up] but the speakers are great

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    yes, that's right

i didn't realize the 7kv.2 was actually a redesign...i thought they just renamed the EU so it would be consistant nomenclature....that makes me want to buy them again, b/c honestly, the install is not clean with the EUs [granted i wrote the write up] but the speakers are great
    I have heard/been told, that the 7kv.2 fits with no modification.

That's not going to gaurantee that it will sound as good as the stock woofer on the stock amp, but at least you will have some more potential there... heck, those little guys can take a beating... If you cross them for mid-bass, I bet they would compliment any high-end component system...

Although, the other day, I turned off my subs just to show someone how my stock woofers sounded, and we were both impressed, yet again... so maybe with the 7kv.2 and an aftermarket amp, you could get some impressive bass... I just worry about vibrations---those sail panels are notorious for causing that PITA sound you never seem to be able to dampen properly...

oh well... but yeah, they are different...

Black
    99 WS6

i bought a 99 ws6 but can't pick her up until friday...i've got a pioneer head unit and sirius satellite radio that only works with the pioneer head unit. i've also got a pair of 12's being pushed by a punch 400...is there any chance somebody makes a ported box for 12's that will fit in the back?

Black
    02 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
    i bought a 99 ws6 but can't pick her up until friday...i've got a pioneer head unit and sirius satellite radio that only works with the pioneer head unit. i've also got a pair of 12's being pushed by a punch 400...is there any chance somebody makes a ported box for 12's that will fit in the back?
    How deep are your 12"s? I've got a box I can sell you Cheap if you want.
    Fits above the gas tank, level with the back seat.
    39.5" wide, 7" tall, 15" deep. Fits between the seats, and the cargo cover.
    3/4" MDF, Nice charcoal carpet. I'd put a 1.5" X 8" port in the box faced towards the back. Should look clean and slick. - let me know.

My new box which sits in the same spot will have some nifty features. I'll post pictures next week.

Black
    99 WS6

they're power acoustic fubars...they're pretty heavy subs. is your box ported and how much do you want for it?

Black
    02 Trans Am WS6

$25. Plus S&H.
    Remember...its only 7" total height. Which means you only have 5.5" of driver depth.
    I ran Pioneer Premier Flat Subs in it.

It's not currently ported, but drill 2 1.5" holes and slide a port in, and you should be golden.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

FYI, I installed my eu-700s on the stock amp and they sound badass, provided you use foam insulation as a spacer...

White
    2001 Z28 M6

Trying to find out whats wrong with my monsoon... I have NO BASS...well occasionally I hear sometihng that sounds like bass. My bose in the 95 Z28 I had was 100000x better..

any tips on what could be wrong? you guys make it sound like it should be pretty decent and it's far from it.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

The Monsoon system is a decent system for factory, but I've always had problems with speakers blowing and I do not listen with the bass turned up either. About a year ago, one of the door speakers went bad and I replaced them both with my MB Quart Reference Line speakers with crossovers. That swap really woke up the highs in the front.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

I like my Monsoon & don't plan on replacing it any time soon . While its true that the old door speakers couldn't handle the power of the Monsoon Amp. but ever since GM came out with the new superceded speakers that have been upgraded with stronger speaker material & a more flexable center cone it has really made a BIG difference in the sound quality of the stock system . Of course the new replacement series speakers cost about $75.00 compared to the old weak $45.00 speakers they are still well worth the up grade . Now I can turn it up in my vert. without blowing them . So far they've lasted over a year even with the bass & volume turned up .

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
    Trying to find out whats wrong with my monsoon... I have NO BASS...well occasionally I hear sometihng that sounds like bass. My bose in the 95 Z28 I had was 100000x better..

any tips on what could be wrong? you guys make it sound like it should be pretty decent and it's far from it.
    Sounds like your sail panel subs are out. The sail panel subs are where you get the bass from, they are actually two speakers, one voice coil and one sub. I had pretty good sound from mine when it was all stock. Decent bass too, until the subs blew out. Got tired of replacing subs and got 2 10s.

White
    2001 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Sounds like your sail panel subs are out. The sail panel subs are where you get the bass from, they are actually two speakers, one voice coil and one sub. I had pretty good sound from mine when it was all stock. Decent bass too, until the subs blew out. Got tired of replacing subs and got 2 10s.
    Thanks! I pulled them tonight and found the braided wires going to the coil were bent and no longer flowing current. What was odd was both sides were not working? I moved them around a bit and they started working...bolted them back into place and they were pounding pretty good (caught me WAY off guard...I've had the car 3 years now and they have never sounded like that)...

I will see how long they last (I assume the wires have started to break apart)... then just pick up some replacements.

Black
    02 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
    Thanks! I pulled them tonight and found the braided wires going to the coil were bent and no longer flowing current.
    Commonly known as Spiders.

A bent spider?? Sounds like it was either fiddled with, or defective from the factory.

If the spiders are broken near the terminals, you can de-solder, pull the spider up slightly, and re-solder.
    But...its only a temporary fix. The spiders are long enough for the max excursion of the speaker...so...if your pounding them, it's not going to last for too long.

White
    2001 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytransam View Post
    Commonly known as Spiders.

A bent spider?? Sounds like it was either fiddled with, or defective from the factory.

If the spiders are broken near the terminals, you can de-solder, pull the spider up slightly, and re-solder.
    But...its only a temporary fix. The spiders are long enough for the max excursion of the speaker...so...if your pounding them, it's not going to last for too long.
    Thats curious...they were bent almost halfway betwen the terminals and the speaker itself. Probably defective from the factory because I Honestly dont remember them working ever.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

So you have both working for now, you can see how it was supposed to sound, and it sounds like you are happy! Maybe only one was working, and the connection finally failed, now that both are online, the bass is there.

White
    2001 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    So you have both working for now, you can see how it was supposed to sound, and it sounds like you are happy! Maybe only one was working, and the connection finally failed, now that both are online, the bass is there.
    Yeah it sounds pretty good...they both died again so I am looking for replacements... not like I use the radio much anyways but would still be nice when I do.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

When I got my hawk 2 years ago, it was outfitted with a Pioneer dvd player w/5.1 system and the entire trunk was subs from the left side to the rh, only problem as any vert owner knows: when the tops down, NO bass no matter how many subs in the trunk! So lucky for me, the prev owner kept all the stock monsoon stuff, so I yanked it all out and sold most of the aftermarket off. Reinstalled the monsoon and I like it because its: original and works fine. As far as the best technology out there now, no dice, but it works fine for me and I have NEVER blown any speakers and I listen to a lot of loud music, oldies like Van Halen. I even had my H/U upgraded for Ipod thru Jason Novac, works wonderful, my Ipod in my glove box with 20gigs of tunes. Keep in mind this is a garage queen.

white
    98 z28

I think most people get rid of the monsoon stuff If they want it to sound good and be able to turn up the volume. I know from my experience the monsoon speakers distort easily with any real volume and the eq set at a decent level. I can crank my 12 and the pioneer 6-1/2's really loud before distortion is an issue. But the monsoon system does sound good just at lower volume levels.

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    I like my Monsoon & don't plan on replacing it any time soon . While its true that the old door speakers couldn't handle the power of the Monsoon Amp. but ever since GM came out with the new superceded speakers that have been upgraded with stronger speaker material & a more flexable center cone it has really made a BIG difference in the sound quality of the stock system . Of course the new replacement series speakers cost about $75.00 compared to the old weak $45.00 speakers they are still well worth the up grade . Now I can turn it up in my vert. without blowing them . So far they've lasted over a year even with the bass & volume turned up .
    Who sells these upgrades? GM ?? Part #s? pm me or call me anyone 647-206-3144 !! i need this info asap im chasing people to find stockers I didnt know theres an upgrade !!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information