Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Why does everyone here hate the Monsoon system?

This is a discussion on Why does everyone here hate the Monsoon system? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; All in all, I'd say the Monsoon system is really good for a stock setup; the only problem with them ...

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

All in all, I'd say the Monsoon system is really good for a stock setup; the only problem with them is that a lot of people abuse the hell out of it by cranking it up all the time....then it ends up with blown speakers, distortion, and so forth....so of course it sounds like shit after it's been abused....
    For example, when I got my '00, the Monsoon system was terrible in it...but that's only because the previous owner obviously cranked it up past its capacity all of the time....
    However, when I got my '02, the Monsoon system (just like the rest of the car) had been well taken care of...and it sounds wonderful!!!!

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

my camaro does have the monsoon and does NOT have component speakers..there cheap paper pieces of shit that sound DECENT.....better than decent for a factory set up...but still no comparsion what so ever to quality component speakers.....my deck puts out 20 rms watts and my kappas are 2 ohms so its pushing in the neiborhood of 40 to each in a free air set up on the rear deck of a 96 montecarlo........not much power is needed for great sound when speakers are set up free air on a deck...the fronts are nearly off as they sound like shit.....its about equaly as loud as my monsoon and MUCH clearer at volume...theres no comparison....monsoon prolly has a very slight bit more bass but its definitly not as crisp.........id give the monsoon a 7 or 8 out of 10 as far as factory set ups go overall........in the clarity dept maybe a 6 though.....i really like my highs crisp

pewter

oh and for anyone thats confused the monsoon pushes no where NEAR the claimed wattage......belive its 500.....if it were it would blow those paper piece of shit to pieces.........in my 87 firebird as a kid i had 4 kappas each powered by an external kicker 30x4 amp......only 30watts rms per channel.........holy fuck was that loud and crisp....amazing sound..had a box built in the hatch area for the kappa 6x9s and a 10inch kicker xpl sub in the middle....i miss that system
    Last edited by tonyjnjz; 05-28-2008 at 09:54 AM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Another thing I love about my Monsoon is the head unit has everything right there and accessible. Especially the 7 band EQ. Some CDs and some radio stations have different levels for different frequencies (bass especially). You don't have to access different menus, with teeny tiny buttons to adjust things. I love my steering wheel controls. I love the 12 disc changer in the trunk, much better sound quality that MP-3 players. If you have a convertible F-body, I have heard those Monsoon systems and they suck compared to the hardtop/t-top systems. I like how the head unit doesn't have a video display that is constantly changing, showing things to distract you. I know what song I am playing, I don't have to have that displayed. I rarely listen to the radio and need that info.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Well I'm in total agreement with you ! My 02 Vert with the Monsoon system is far and away the best factory setup for me to date . Plenty of adjustments & plenty of bass , but you just have to watch out trying to turn it up too loud for too long . I've had to replace three factory speakers in the last three years . So at about $43.00 every year ain't bad for a great sounding stereo . Its just too bad that no one makes a real quality replacement speaker thats completely compatable with the Monsoon system . I like the crisp highs the aftermarket speakers make that CAN be made to work , but the BIG CLEAN BASS is where its at for me .

black silver
    99 z28, 81 z28

monsoon

i have the monsoon in my 99 z, i had to replace the front door speakers when i got it. but since then it sounds awesome i have people ask me all the time where is the sub woofers. but my favorite sound of all is that LS1 eating the road.

Black
    02 Trans Am WS6

I'm going to store my monsoon system neatly in a box in the basement after I get enough cash to get the rest of the speakers upgraded.
    I'd rather pull them working, than pull them as junk.
    Mine distorts horribly, and has a muffled sound to it. My opinion is that it's the head unit.
    Every Delco stereo I have ever pulled out and replaced with Aftermarket, and KEPT the stock speakers, sounded 110% better.

Lil ol paper cones aren't designed to handle large amounts of bass. If you cross them over to limit low frequencies, You'd get alot more out of them.

My plan, temporaraly...is to replace the Delco distortionbox with a high quality Premier head unit, and cross over the 4 channels going to the Monsoon amp at 125hz. SO, the only thing the stock speakers will be seeing is midrange and high. That should save them until I replace with better.
    The low end is handled by 2 12" Premier FLat subs.
    Once I sell the first box I made....I can make the second and I'll be ready for this years shows.
    C

Black
    98 Trans Am

I'm really surprised that Delco never offered a nice poly-cone "upgrade" speaker for the Monsoon....lol....then again...that's GM for ya'...!

I can't believe how many people are happy with the monsoon system. It's a big pile of shit IMO. I've had two different stock bose systems in cars over the years and they crap on this system. At first I just replaced the stock speakers because the front two were blown when I bought the car and it was better but still the sound was not that great. I've since replaced the head unit and put in a 4 way amp to power the aftermarket speakers and it sounds great now. I just need to add a little bass and it will be a great system. I'm just trying to figure out how to add a sub to my vert without getting rid of all my storage space.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

funny, i was just thinking to myself how the monsoon isn't a bad system despite the miles of threads on here that say otherwise. I love the interface-that's what i hate the most about after market. You have to push buttons to find shit. stock HUs are all right in front of you, and that 5 band EQ does wonders for people who listen to various musical styles.

Just to clear things up, Birds got 10 speakers, Camaros only got 6.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

35K miles on my car. 9 years old.

I have a blown left front speaker.
    My Moonsoon CD player scratches ANY CD inserted. Skips all the time. Sometimes won't give me the CD back.

But yeah...for stock, not too shabby.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

in my opinion the system sucks balls. I've blown a few speakers the bass is nice but other than that I don't really like it at all. Will do a custom package one of these days.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytransam View Post
    I'm going to store my monsoon system neatly in a box in the basement after I get enough cash to get the rest of the speakers upgraded.
    I'd rather pull them working, than pull them as junk.
    Mine distorts horribly, and has a muffled sound to it. My opinion is that it's the head unit.
    Every Delco stereo I have ever pulled out and replaced with Aftermarket, and KEPT the stock speakers, sounded 110% better.

Lil ol paper cones aren't designed to handle large amounts of bass. If you cross them over to limit low frequencies, You'd get alot more out of them.

My plan, temporaraly...is to replace the Delco distortionbox with a high quality Premier head unit, and cross over the 4 channels going to the Monsoon amp at 125hz. SO, the only thing the stock speakers will be seeing is midrange and high. That should save them until I replace with better.
    The low end is handled by 2 12" Premier FLat subs.
    Once I sell the first box I made....I can make the second and I'll be ready for this years shows.
    C
    I'm running my system with a Premiere DEH-P980BT... I let the front's play ALL frequencies, and the rear is crossed at 125hz, to keep the stock subs from being torn the shreds... Two 13Ov.2s take care of that... very crisp... I get tons of compliments, and I even got them before the subs... people always asked me what kind of subs I had... and I would point to the panel, and they wouldn't believe me....

Black
    02 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I'm running my system with a Premiere DEH-P980BT... I let the front's play ALL frequencies, and the rear is crossed at 125hz, to keep the stock subs from being torn the shreds... Two 13Ov.2s take care of that... very crisp... I get tons of compliments, and I even got them before the subs... people always asked me what kind of subs I had... and I would point to the panel, and they wouldn't believe me....
    Im going with the Premier DEH-P800 with copper chassis.
    I like the clean look of it, plus hoping for the acoustics to be cleaned up a bit being a Premier.

I REALLY wish they would make an updated version of the 77DH....as the one in my truck is AWESOME for a Din + 1/2

But...seems those are fading.
    I am in a dilema right now on what I want to do to fit my 2 12" flat subs in the hatch.... The box I have is too heavy duty for what im doing.
    Im hoping a friend can help me out with his tablesaw...since I don't have one... to build my new box with angles.
    Last edited by Trickytransam; 05-28-2008 at 03:20 PM.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    funny, i was just thinking to myself how the monsoon isn't a bad system despite the miles of threads on here that say otherwise. I love the interface-that's what i hate the most about after market. You have to push buttons to find shit. stock HUs are all right in front of you, and that 5 band EQ does wonders for people who listen to various musical styles.

explains y most of the ppl that are very happy w it own t/a's or ws6's

Never knew the birds had more. I'm sure mine being a vert didn't help the sound at all. I also agree with the user interface on aftermarket systems too much going on. I still can't figure out how to set my clock! Good thing I pretty much just plug my Zune into the auxilary port and use it for my music.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

When I look at my wiring diagram from Mitchell, it shows 12 speakers for the TA Monsoon system. Don't forget, there are 2 sets of wires for the 6" subs, one for the sub and one for the voice coil integral with it. So, one tweeter and full range on each door, one dedicated low frequency sub (with separate voice coil wiring) in the sail panel, and another tweeter and full range in the hatch. That makes 6 per side, 12 total.

And yes, one thing I really love about the stock HU is the easy interface with real size buttons all right there. There is always something better, faster, etc. Also, it is a 7 band EQ.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

i do like that equalizer... every song has a different part i like the most whether it be guitar or bass, etc and this allows for quick adjustment for each song. however the speakers arent the greatest. but very, very good considering this is a 98. here aren't many cars near are price range with as good of a sound system stock in those years.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    i do like that equalizer... every song has a different part i like the most whether it be guitar or bass, etc and this allows for quick adjustment for each song. however the speakers arent the greatest. but very, very good considering this is a 98. here aren't many cars near are price range with as good of a sound system stock in those years.
    infinity system in the eclipse gst/gsx........i think its better

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    When I look at my wiring diagram from Mitchell, it shows 12 speakers for the TA Monsoon system. Don't forget, there are 2 sets of wires for the 6" subs, one for the sub and one for the voice coil integral with it. So, one tweeter and full range on each door, one dedicated low frequency sub (with separate voice coil wiring) in the sail panel, and another tweeter and full range in the hatch. That makes 6 per side, 12 total.

And yes, one thing I really love about the stock HU is the easy interface with real size buttons all right there. There is always something better, faster, etc. Also, it is a 7 band EQ.
    6 speaker connections, but really only 5 speakers per side.

1. Door woofer
    2. Door tweeter
    3. Sub-woofer (4ohm DVC)
    4. Hatch woofer
    5. Hatch tweeter

I liked my stock headunit, but it started having problems with the volume knob crackling (needed some internal work,) and I wanted a little less distortion.

I'm a high-tech gadget freak, so I am pretty damn happy with my hands-free bluetooth and streaming internet radio stations...

I even have an interface to control my headunit from a laptop/PC... for carputer integraton... plus I'm working on a microcontroller car alarm... 2-way, internet access, cameras, the works...

just fun to me... but so far, it hasn't been economical to upgrade all the speakers... I won't run anything off the headunit alone, because it sounds like garbage to me. Gotsta have an amplifier.

As soon as I get some extra cash, I will replace all the speakers with high-end components. I believe the edi.6800s are coming out soon!

I am still debating as to whether I am going to replace the sail-panel woofers though... I would have to get a set of 7kv.2 woofers, since they seem to fit just fine... a year or so ago, I purchased the eu-700s before they came out with the new woofers, and they really don't fit. They needed some vehicle trimming, and also some spacers... I think if I set 7kv.2's up properly, they can give me some good mid-range bass... stuff that I really don't want my big subwoofers playing...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information