Who is running front components and a sub only?

This is a discussion on Who is running front components and a sub only? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; I have been told by numerous friends that I shouldn't even worry about replacing the sail panel speakers and the ...

Red
    97 Z28

Who is running front components and a sub only?

I have been told by numerous friends that I shouldn't even worry about replacing the sail panel speakers and the hatch speakers and to just get rid of them.Of course,none of them have it set up as to where they are only using the door speakers and the sub in the rear.So if you are running your audio this way,what do you think?

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

You will need some kind of mid range speakers.

I would not know but I would think it sounds like crap.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

don't believe them. They know not what they are saying. I put Pioneer components in my doors and kicker CVT's in the sails and ditched the hatch speakers. Sounds like something is missing.

Number 1. by adding another set of equally sized components you will double perceived volume at the same power level. (The volume drop off for me was ridiculous)

Number 2. to develop an expansive sound stage you want to have the sound coming from in front of and behind you. you are listening to all your speakers "off axis" in a car. so imaging is not as sharp as it would be in say a home theater.

That's my opinion and it's why i'll be swapping out my CVT's for a set of components in the sail panel. poor rear seat passengers will have to deal with going deaf!!! HAHAHAHA

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Some people run the wires from the hatch speakers to the sails deleting the mid subs so you have 4 speakers, the doors and the sails and then run the sub or subs mounted in the rear.

Red
    97 Z28

Thanks for the info. Think I'll just get the package from keeaudio.I don't know any other speakers that would work with the monsoon system in the doors except the infinity speakers.The ones from keeaudio use CDT and I have heard they sound good.
    Last edited by Red97LT1; 03-02-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I had custom tweeter pods made and put them on top of the doors. Opens you up to a wide range of speakers for the doors.

I had mine made at a local shop. But, you can get them here already done.

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=184

Red
    97 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I had custom tweeter pods made and put them on top of the doors. Opens you up to a wide range of speakers for the doors.

I had mine made at a local shop. But, you can get them here already done.

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=184
    That looks nice.Thanks for the link.I'll check it out.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Here is a picture of mine. I like it. I think the tweeters sound better up there

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

of course they do. High frequencies are highly directional. Listening to a tweeter off axis results in a lot of lost clarity in the sound. I reused the stock locations in my Hawk so my tweeters aren't "ideal" especially when anyone is sitting in the passenger seat and blocking the path between the tweeter and my ear but it's better than cutting things.

I'm losing my mind trying to figure out how to mount two more same size(big) tweeters in the sail panel area without cutting.... I'm sure it's not possible but I sure will try everything else first lol

white

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    don't believe them. They know not what they are saying. I put Pioneer components in my doors and kicker CVT's in the sails and ditched the hatch speakers. Sounds like something is missing.

Number 1. by adding another set of equally sized components you will double perceived volume at the same power level. (The volume drop off for me was ridiculous)

Number 2. to develop an expansive sound stage you want to have the sound coming from in front of and behind you. you are listening to all your speakers "off axis" in a car. so imaging is not as sharp as it would be in say a home theater.

That's my opinion and it's why i'll be swapping out my CVT's for a set of components in the sail panel. poor rear seat passengers will have to deal with going deaf!!! HAHAHAHA

In sense these people do know what they are doing. The majority of people that do this are doing so because running speakers in the rear has no use to them since they cant hear them over the subs anyway so it is a waste of money to buy another component set that will not be heard anyway.
    The Idea behind this also is getting the imaging correct and running a powerful front stage aside from spending more money on a weaker components that will not be heard anyway.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post

so wait, are you saying that it's better to run components in the sails and not subs? I would think you would loose all of your base if you did that. Just replacing the stock sails with a better quality sub, IMO, sounds way better than the stock setup. If you run a sub in the hatch, I would think swapping out the sails for a component would be ok. But if you're like me and don't want a sub box in the rear, putting a nice sub in the sail is the only way to go.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I don't think I will lose much bass by switching out to high quality components in the sails. I'll explain..... The factory Monsoon amp is a POS.... High quality components can handle good power and provide adequate excursion to create good bass. The reason the sails produce the bass they can is because of the limited air space in those sail panels. So if i replace my sail subs with high quality components and run something like the A900PRS amp that I want to run my main channels on then I do think I can get a livable amount of bass out of the setup.

Of course I DO plan on getting a stealth box and running a high pass filter on the 4 sets of components anyway. I'm just saying for now.... it should be good. Especially with the components I plan on using. look up the internals on the PRS-A900....

Old article and you can get this stuff much cheaper these days but it's about my head unit and the amp i have my eyes on

http://blog.sounddomain.com/gadget/2...r-isnt-me.html

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Well if you're willing to go all out and start replacing amps and such, there are numerous ways to blow away the stock system. Especially if you plan on running a stealth box. Idealy that's tnhe way to go. But like I said, for those of us who want a good sounding stock setup, replacing the sails is the way to go.

Thread Information