Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

What's a good place for a sub?

I just replaced my speakers and head unit and am thinking about having a sub woofer installed. I don't want anything too crazy that will draw ridiculous amounts of amps, etc. I'm just looking to install something that will catch the bass range of sound. I was thinking about installing a low profile sub in the center hump between the rear seats.

I have a convertible, so there is limited trunk space to begin with, and I want to keep the car as functional as possible, so turnk-mounted subs are out. I also don't want anything super heavy, as keeping the weight as low as possible is a priority of mine.

Pioneer makes a subwoofer with a 2.5" mounting depth and I was thinking about having a shop fab up a mounting box that will sit on that center hump, and then having some carpet wrapped around it to give it a "came that way" look.

Anyone have any better ideas (I want something somewhat stealthy; I don't want it to look wild or over-done or "bling")?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

This is the one I have. Works great. The only thing is that if you have the CD changer, you will have to relocate the changer. It fits in the driver's side of the truck area. 1993 2002 Chevy Camaro Single 10" Subwoofer Enclosure Sub Box Passenger Side | eBay

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Ah, cool. I wonder if that would work on my vert, though? My trunk is very, very small, since I don't have the rear hatch like the coupes do.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I honestly dont know. That is the box that is pounding so hard in my car. Just one little ol ten in there.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

You can't have a box on the driver's side unless it is custom made. There is stuff to make the top work in there. You could use the passenger side one if you took out the spare and jack. I made this quick and didn't loose too much space.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Oh, cool. A fellow 'vert with a sub. Do you use the trunk much? Mine is my daily driver and I use the trunk to carry all my work gear when I commute. Do you think having the trunk full will ruin the sound? I know that air has to move for a sub to work, but I'm not an expert when it comes to sound quality and stereos and stuff....

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I do use the trunk, that is why I kept it as small as possible. That was before they had shallow subs. Even when full it still sounds good. You will lose most bass when you drop the top but is still better than just the door and side panel speakers.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Did you Dynamat the rear panel area at all?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Which panel?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Where the sub is firing into.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

No I didn't. Why?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Just wondering if it rattles at all or not. I miss having a system in my car. Used to be huge into it.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I just want components that will catch all the ranges of sound. Not looking to thump the car or rattle the body panels or anything... Just looking for a richer, more complete sound. I found some installation shops in my area, so someday in the relatively near future I will swing by and get their recommendations.

For the meantime, I'm really enjoying the recent work I had done. New speakers sound much better (the front ones that I replaced weren't even working).

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Did you Dynamat the rear panel area at all?
    I did a FULL dynamat on mine. I never had any rattles before, but the dynamat cut down on road noise, and the LM1 some. It def keeps all the bass in the car. Before, the sub would hit outside the car, now, not so much. I have a 10" Kicker, 800 watts, and a capacitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

It's actually a little funny, I took Naaman for a ride in it, and his response was that he didn't think that the stereo would drown out the LT's and LM1, but it does. LOL

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I just want components that will catch all the ranges of sound. Not looking to thump the car or rattle the body panels or anything... Just looking for a richer, more complete sound. I found some installation shops in my area, so someday in the relatively near future I will swing by and get their recommendations.

For the meantime, I'm really enjoying the recent work I had done. New speakers sound much better (the front ones that I replaced weren't even working).
    How about just doing a powered bazooka? You just pull high levels off of one your rear speakers, provide power and ground. It will give you some bass, and you can take it out lickety split. No amp to mount... No permament box. Minor cost.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Just wondering if it rattles at all or not. I miss having a system in my car. Used to be huge into it.
    The convertible doesn't have plastic in the trunk area. It is all molded carpet.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post

A sub would help with the lower frequency a lot. You don't have to have it cranked, just add some bottom end to your music. When I turn my sub off you can see how much it adds. I just wish I had a bit more midrange.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have all my old equipment from when I had a system in my 96 Camaro. It's sitting in my closet. I might install it in one of my cars one of these days. I even have the custom dual 12" sub box and amp rack I made.

She was my first Camaro...V6 3.8L. She looked nice for a V6 I thought. A little throwback lol.

My setup. Obviously I never used my trunk lol.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I have all my old equipment from when I had a system in my 96 Camaro. It's sitting in my closet. I might install it in one of my cars one of these days. I even have the custom dual 12" sub box and amp rack I made.

She was my first Camaro...V6 3.8L. She looked nice for a V6 I thought. A little throwback lol.

Click for full size

My setup. Obviously I never used my trunk lol.

Click for full size
    Nice setup. No spot for the t-tops in the new car though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information