candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

what system to get

have about 2000 dollars and want to put in a double din gps stereo with dvd in my t/a. and want to get new speakers included that budget. any suggestions??? clarity is more important to me than volume.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Clarity = high price tag. (If you mean clarity at high levels)

You could spend nearly all that on new HU with new wires.

Are you looking to replace all the speakers, amp(s), and HU for $2000?

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

if I can afford to, I would like to replace the speakers. when I say clarity is more important what I mean is it is more important than volume. I will not be using the radio for audio shows. was thinking of Kee speakers but lately been hearing some bad things about them. don't care about an amp or bass tube actually. as far as i'm concerned I can do without lol

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

At lower levels cheaper quality stuff will sound closer to high'er' end products. The difference is more noticeable at high levels.

I got to head to work, I'll answer some alittle later.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

A double din will require some work. You will need a custom trim ring for the dash. One of the sponsors should carry them. Do you have the monsoon system?

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

yes have the monsoon system. talked to a few people and found out I would have to move the climate controls for a double din, so I decided to go with a single din that has a motorized screen that comes out. decided on a Clarion NZ503 dvd with gps with either Polk or Rockford speakers 4@ 6.5 inches 2 @ 4 inches and 2 tweeters and 2 midrange. also a sub so getting two clarion amps as well.
    Last edited by jonnyman; 05-21-2013 at 02:41 AM.

white

in a ta you don't have to move the climate controls. i think 6litereater has a bezel that works for double dins.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

Quote Originally Posted by pk222 View Post
    in a ta you don't have to move the climate controls. i think 6litereater has a bezel that works for double dins.
    yes they have a double din bezel as well as Double D Mods. Ok now i'm confused because i'm being told by some that to fit a double din you have to modify the dash area.

Navy Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I would suggest a nice Kenwood or Pioneer double din unit. They look nice, have a lot of nice options, and will not kill the budget.

If you are looking for "nice" clarity and staying on budget, there are a lot of decent mid range speakers you can look at. Some that I have had experience with that I LIKED are Hertz, Image Dynamics, and Diamond to name a few. If you want to upgrade, look into Focal, or Rainbow. Skies the limit when you start talking quality and clarity.

Finally, IF you still have any money in the budget for subs, I LOVE Sundown Audio. I have 2 SA-10's with the SAX 1200d and they slam. They aren't the cheapest, but definitely worth waiting for a phase 2 maybe. But again, WAY too many nice options out there, and of course opinions.

To be honest I would join a car audio forum and research further if you can narrow down your needs. I have been around car audio for about 20 years, and things that were GREAT 10 years ago, are absolute junk now. Also, I would avoid the "Big Box Stores" if you can at all. Go to a local shop if you need hands on help making decisions, or order online if you are confident with your choices.

Also, double din isn't difficult to install, if you have any experience with head unit installs yourself. If you are a rookie to car audio, again, look into some hands on advice, or look around the net for good step by step instructions. Hope this helped.
    Last edited by Skeeterbeater79; 05-22-2013 at 04:31 PM.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

Thanx gives me a lot to think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbeater79 View Post
    I would suggest a nice Kenwood or Pioneer double din unit. They look nice, have a lot of nice options, and will not kill the budget.

If you are looking for "nice" clarity and staying on budget, there are a lot of decent mid range speakers you can look at. Some that I have had experience with that I LIKED are Hertz, Image Dynamics, and Diamond to name a few. If you want to upgrade, look into Focal, or Rainbow. Skies the limit when you start talking quality and clarity.

Finally, IF you still have any money in the budget for subs, I LOVE Sundown Audio. I have 2 SA-10's with the SAX 1200d and they slam. They aren't the cheapest, but definitely worth waiting for a phase 2 maybe. But again, WAY too many nice options out there, and of course opinions.

To be honest I would join a car audio forum and research further if you can narrow down your needs. I have been around car audio for about 20 years, and things that were GREAT 10 years ago, are absolute junk now. Also, I would avoid the "Big Box Stores" if you can at all. Go to a local shop if you need hands on help making decisions, or order online if you are confident with your choices.

Also, double din isn't difficult to install, if you have any experience with head unit installs yourself. If you are a rookie to car audio, again, look into some hands on advice, or look around the net for good step by step instructions. Hope this helped.

candy tangerine
    1998 ws6 6spd

thanks for all the input. ended up going with a double din Clarion NX503 head unit, 4 six inch Polk component db6501 speakers,2 four inch Polk DB 401 speakers, 2@Rockford Fosgate R400D amps, and sub.

Thread Information