what speakers came stock with a 00 z28 monsoon system?

This is a discussion on what speakers came stock with a 00 z28 monsoon system? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; By that I mean how many speakers and where are they located? 1. sub and two way in each door ...

stinkfinger

what speakers came stock with a 00 z28 monsoon system?

By that I mean how many speakers and where are they located?

1. sub and two way in each door right?

2. two of the smallest cheapest speakers in the world in the far back trunk side covers right?

what about the b pilliars where the grills are? Are there supposed to be any in there? If not, are there wires running to them, and do those wires carry a signal, or will I have to tap into them?

Reason I ask is becasue I have my old system from my 97 collecting dust, and this monsoon is "ok" untill you turn it up a little, then everything turns to crap, it could use some quality speakers.. If you also know the wattage and ohms for each speaker that would be a huge help... Thanks in advance!

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

The Camaro speaker setup for a 00 is:

Front Door - 6.5 oversize, aka 6.5S, with 2 seperate inputs, 1 set for the woofer and 1 set for the tweeter, the woofer runs off the Monsoon amp at 2 ohms and the tweeter runs off the headunit at 4ohms. It is set up as a coaxil speaker with the seperate inputs.

Sail panel, 2ohm 6.5 sub only, running at 2ohms running off the Monsoon amp. I have never measured the speaker and have my stock ones in, but I tried a standard 6.5 I had laying around and didn't line up with the holes or fit, so I assume it is also a 6.5S also, the front door speaker I removed fit in the sailpanel perfect, I am using it as a replacement until I get some different ones in, since 1 is bad. There is no highs going to the sailpanel subs, it is crossed over at the amp and plays lows only.

Far Hatch speakers: 4ohm 4 inch coaxil that runs only off the Headunit.

Officially it is a 8 speaker Monsoon setup, 4 total for the front, since the coaxils in the doors are powered seperate, so they count the woofer and tweeter seperate, even though they are mounted together. then 2 for the sail panels and 2 total for the far rear ones.

How many watts the speakers can handle is anyones guess, I'd assume about 30 watts rms for the door woofers and the same for the tweeters, 35rms for the sail panel subs and 20 for the far rear. Adds up to around 230 watts rms and the Monsoon is 500 peak, so 1/2 would be about right. Is a guess though.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 01-31-2006 at 08:37 PM.

stinkfinger
    thanks!

It seems that my sail panel speakers are missing,, weird. I'll have to see if the amp is even there. I bet the previous owner did something to it. The only speakers that work are in the doors and the rear.
    I've got 2 pair of 6" polk momos that I'll try and use.. somewhere.

Thanks again

Black ASC#7564 May11,2001
    2001 Trans Am WS6

If you have missing speakers that is probably why it does not sound good.

I am very happy with the sound of my Monsoon.
    When I went to the GM Test Drive in San Antonio, Texas in 2004 and 2005, I made it a point to check out the stereo in every car I tested. (except the Corvette and the Hummer)

I can honestly say that not one stereo sounded better than my Monsoon in my WS6. There were a few that I would say were maybe equal, but none better overall. The couple that had stronger bass still did not have a better or equal overall sound. There may have been one or two that were louder but I did not test how loud they cranked. I only listened to sound quality at a comfortable volume.

For a factory stereo, the Monsoon sounds very good. Now the quality of the head unit is another story. (volume control problems, poor CD tracking...)

I read about people blowing speakers but I have had no problems. Four and 1/2 years and 70,500 miles with the same speakers. I do not crank it so loud that the music distorts though. Distortion can kill any speaker.

stinkfinger
    found out that both speakers are there, just bad delco wiring to blame. well, what speakers do you recomened for the sail panels? They are subs only, so Its worthless to put in a dual channel speaker, and I need a 2ohm sub. I can't seem to find any speakers for this application.
    I'm never going to switch the amp, I just want a speaker that will perform as good as or better than the factory subs did. Crutchfield seems to have plenty of 6.5 speakers but they all have tweeters,,, any suggestions on where and what i should get?

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

You can put the Infinity 2ohm kappa 62.7i;s in the sailpanel or get some Infinity compnents(but they cost about $50 more). Then run a set of wires from where the 4inch speakers are at in the hatch to the tweeters and just skip the hatch 4inch speakers or just use the woofer connection since the 62.7i has seperate inputs for the woofer and tweeter and are like a coaxil component(since they have seperate inputs I would think they would be classified as a component, but the tweeter in non removable, so they are coaxils). I just ordered another set of the 62.7i's and I should have them in the sailpanels by the end of the week, so will let you know how they sound. I know they will fit, because when I replaced the front door speakers with the 62.7i's I was looking at the sailpanel subs and one would move every once in awhile, so I used the front door speaker as a sub for a temporary solution and just didn't connect the tweeter. If the front speakers fit in the sailpanel then for sure the 62.7i will fit, since they have the same bolt pattern. The hole is a different shape in the sailpanel and they use a piece of cardboard on the stock sub, so if I do have a slight gap, will just use some sound deadening. I never seen anyone use the 62.7i's in the sailpanel, so will see what happens.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 02-07-2006 at 09:16 PM.

stinkfinger
    thanks rotwiler, I'm probably gonna get a set myself.

Has anyone ever thought of sealing up the sail panels with great stuff? I know theres a buttload of room in there and I thought it may make the speakers sound better. It also may deaden some road noise that comes through from the rear wheel wells.. Just a thought. I know that a smaller sealed area, in certain circumstances (speakers, area, etc.) can provide for better sound. The only drawback I guess would be that its permenant.
    Just wondering if anyone has done this in the past.

Thread Information