What happend to my system after easy speaker swap?

This is a discussion on What happend to my system after easy speaker swap? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; Ok heres what I did: All I did was swap out two JL 10s' "8-ohm" and put in two brand ...

Smile What happend to my system after easy speaker swap?

Ok heres what I did:

All I did was swap out two JL 10s' "8-ohm" and put in two brand new JL 10s' "4OHM".

Now heres my wiring to the amp:

Now my previous wiring to my amp had the RCAs' from my headunit going back to an RCA "Y" splitter then to the amp with only one RCA plugged in to the positive on the amp RCA plugin. Now keep in mind that the one RCA that was plugged into the amp with my old speakers was the positive, after the speaker swap I plugged in the negative RCA because no sound was coming from the positive.

Heres the problem that happend after swap:

Well after the new speakers my amp got really really hot, i could barely touch it. My speakers were going strong and I thought it was OK until i touched the amp about 30 minutes later and quickly unplugged it.

Could it be that i had the negative rca plugged into the amp instead of the positive? Or that more OHMS now will make your amp like a stovetop? If so, what different can i do to get sound because the positive rca doesnt do it neither will plugging in both rca's. All i did was go up 4 ohms.
    thanks for any help.

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

your subs are wired wrong, i had the same problem with mine and i had to re-wire it, contact JL support and they will tell you the proper way to wire it.

cool, thanks

Thread Information