White
    2001 camaro SS

What does it take to change my monsoon system?

I have the monsoon system in my camaro ss if i want to change out the head unit or the speakes i have to do everything all together is this true?
    2001 Camaro SS, LM 1, BMR LCA, relocation brackets, BMR springs, adj panhard bar, smooth below, lid, sub-frame connectors weld on, strut brace
    2000 WS6, ls6 intake, sub-frame connectors, slp maf, slp cat delete with slp y-pipe, electric cutout, strut brace, smooth below, slp lid, bmr LCA and RLB

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 01SsRacing View Post
    I have the monsoon system in my camaro ss if i want to change out the head unit or the speakes i have to do everything all together is this true?
    Many places make adapter kits so you can use the factory speakers with aftermarket head units. Crutchfield and a few others have said adapter. You can also replace the speakers but I would not use the stock wires. If you don't have the money for both do the head unit first with adapter. Then save up and replace the speakers.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Many places make adapter kits so you can use the factory speakers with aftermarket head units. Crutchfield and a few others have said adapter. You can also replace the speakers but I would not use the stock wires. If you don't have the money for both do the head unit first with adapter. Then save up and replace the speakers.
    100% true, if you want to retain use of your steering wheel controls the Pack-Swi-Jack (google it) will take care of you, just make sure the HU you get has a remote plug and not just an infared remote reciever, Pack-Swi makes a wireless unit also, but it does not work very well.

White
    2001 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    This adapter whats it called on crutchfield cuz i could get the headunit and the adapter just for now till i can save up for all the speakers and stuff.

1998 Trans Am

This adapter whats it called on crutchfield cuz i could get the headunit and the adapter just for now till i can save up for all the speakers and stuff.
    put your car information into the field and they should give you some kind of 'include an adapter with my purchase' option,

note that when you do this, and they have your vehicle information, a warning will probably show saying your HU requires modification to fit, ignore it, there is a bracket in the radio slot that keeps the HU from sliding all the way in, but it is easy to push back out of the way with your hand and without breaking it off.

I do know you can buy the wires adapter at any Walmart/Autozone for ~$9.00

finally, you will also need a radio cradle to hold the HU into place, again Walmart sells it, but Autozone sells a better one for ~$20.00
    Last edited by justinmc978; 01-25-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Sounds like a good idea. Like Justin states you will probably need a cradle. I would do as he says and put your car info in on their site and add your radio. That should get you a good list of what you need to add. It wont be much aka adapter and maybe the cradle..

Impounded
    i took mine to Dr. Dashboard (local car audio shop) Best Buy is priced soooo rediculus.
    i took my firebird and my trans am there. got the same Kenwood HU with Memphis M Class door speakers...loud as fuck.i get yelled at all the time by ppl. and mistaken for subs all the time. got pulled over by a cop late this fall when i had my ttops out. gave me a noise ordinance warning.
    forget about the back two speakers... theyre worth less. i run the front 4 M Class 6.75" oversized. good with country, rap, and metal. although i prefer metal

$600 with install that took them 4 hours. im happy although i want two 10s now...i just dont know if i ant to give up my shelf space and add the extra weight...

1998 Trans Am

memphis speakers kick ass. mid range prices with top end sound, their 6'' speakers can sound like 12'' subs..

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    memphis speakers kick ass.
    +1.

Their amps are quality as well.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Doesn't crutchfield still have a catalog for every adapter you would need in your car? Their your best bet.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    Doesn't crutchfield still have a catalog for every adapter you would need in your car? Their your best bet.
    Yes and they have it online also!!

White
    2001 camaro SS

I went on the site and added the Headunit i want them called them and the adapter is sent with the headunit for free i just need to by the $60 adapter for the steeringwheel controls

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    i took mine to Dr. Dashboard (local car audio shop) Best Buy is priced soooo rediculus.
    i took my firebird and my trans am there. got the same Kenwood HU with Memphis M Class door speakers...loud as fuck.i get yelled at all the time by ppl. and mistaken for subs all the time. got pulled over by a cop late this fall when i had my ttops out. gave me a noise ordinance warning.
    forget about the back two speakers... theyre worth less. i run the front 4 M Class 6.75" oversized. good with country, rap, and metal. although i prefer metal

$600 with install that took them 4 hours. im happy although i want two 10s now...i just dont know if i ant to give up my shelf space and add the extra weight...
    where did you get the memphis m class speakers from? i want some for my doors and sail panel

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    where did you get the memphis m class speakers from? i want some for my doors and sail panel
    he said he got them from the local shop. online is where you'll most likely find the best deals though.

Thread Information