Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

What is code E23?

The CD player in my '01 TA is crapping out. I intend to put a new system in eventually just not at this moment.
    What it's doing is loading the cd, spinning it around and then spitting it back out with E23 displayed on the screen. Have never been able to get the changer in trunk to work. It throws another code but honestly I haven't tried it in so long I don't remember what it was, off the top of my head I think it was E33 or E36 something like that. Is there a solution to this problem or should I just wait until I'm ready to upgrade the whole thing? Thanks.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Yeah ya see the thing is, I don't know that the damned code is either....

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BdAsBrd01 View Post
    The CD player in my '01 TA is crapping out. I intend to put a new system in eventually just not at this moment.
    What it's doing is loading the cd, spinning it around and then spitting it back out with E23 displayed on the screen. Have never been able to get the changer in trunk to work. It throws another code but honestly I haven't tried it in so long I don't remember what it was, off the top of my head I think it was E33 or E36 something like that. Is there a solution to this problem or should I just wait until I'm ready to upgrade the whole thing? Thanks.
    i think it means your cds are in upside down...the way you do it is completely ass backwards..you have them facing down (at least with the changer)

98' trans am

the e23 error part should get fixed if you put a cd cleaner with those brushes in ....it is just a communication error ..what type of cds are you running ? cd-rws mp3s etc will not work...even some cdRs will bitch..

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    the e23 error part should get fixed if you put a cd cleaner with those brushes in ....it is just a communication error ..what type of cds are you running ? cd-rws mp3s etc will not work...even some cdRs will bitch..
    Hey Shady, long time no see ! Thanks for the info. I'll try running a cleaner disc in it to see if that helps. I'm just running regular CD's in the dash. I don't usually use the cdRs for that very reason.
    I haven't tried the changer in over a year. It was missing the cartrage that the CD's went in and I bought an aftermarket one (maybe prob. right there). Dude said it could be used in Camaro changers too? I don't put any faith in the knowledge of anyone selling on ebay. I just put the empty cartridge back in when it kept throwing errors. I think it may be missing one of the pieces you load the cd into, would that affect it?
    As for the dash cd player, IF it'll let me put the cleaner cd in without spitting it back out, I'll post back and report whether or not it helped.

98' trans am

Hey Shady, long time no see !
    yup i dropped the Poli section like a bad habit. good to see ya..let us know if this fixes it. on the cartridge it should say this side up and such..once i get off of work i will try and take pictures of the cartridges and such.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    yup i dropped the Poli section like a bad habit. good to see ya..let us know if this fixes it. on the cartridge it should say this side up and such..once i get off of work i will try and take pictures of the cartridges and such.
    Will do tonight, tried the disc cleaner in the dash and it's still pulling the same crap. Put it in, it spins it around making clicking noises and then spits it out with an E23. Finally after about 20 tries it will take the CD.

VERITAS / AEQUITAS T/A Addicted's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS-6

E20 - Focus Error . This could occur if the disc is dirty, in rough roads or if the humidity is high.
    E21 - Tracking Error. (Tracking error can be caused by blemishes on the disc)
    E22 - Motor Error. The CD motor needs service.
    E23 - Communication Error
    E30 - Focus Error (Optics focus error may be due to moisture, upside down disc or empty cart)
    E31 - Tracking Error ( Tracking error can be caused by blemishes on the disc)
    E32 - Load / Unload motor Problem.
    E33 - CD Changer Communication Error.
    E34 - CD Changer Door Open
    E35 - Changer Cartridge Empty.

Good Luck

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by T/A Addicted View Post
    E20 - Focus Error . This could occur if the disc is dirty, in rough roads or if the humidity is high.
    E21 - Tracking Error. (Tracking error can be caused by blemishes on the disc)
    E22 - Motor Error. The CD motor needs service.
    E23 - Communication Error
    E30 - Focus Error (Optics focus error may be due to moisture, upside down disc or empty cart)
    E31 - Tracking Error ( Tracking error can be caused by blemishes on the disc)
    E32 - Load / Unload motor Problem.
    E33 - CD Changer Communication Error.
    E34 - CD Changer Door Open
    E35 - Changer Cartridge Empty.

Good Luck
    Looks like communication errors on both. Any way to fix this? Thanks for the post

VERITAS / AEQUITAS T/A Addicted's Avatar

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS-6

Looks like communication errors on both. Any way to fix this? Thanks for the post
    E30 - Focus Error Cause(s): The CD player cannot focus on the disc or there is an internal focus problem. Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoR Service Center.

E31 - Tracking Error Cause(s): There is a problem with reading the disc. Correction(s): Try cleaning the disc or try using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly. The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoR Service Center.

E32 - Motor Error Cause(s): The CD motor is not handling the compact disc properly or defective magazine mounting screws are interfering with the mechanism. Correction(s): Reload the magazine. If there is still a problem, replace the magazine. If the problem continues, back out the mounting screws. If the condition is corrected, replace the screws with shorter screws or add washers to the existing screws. If this condition still exists, service the unit at an ACDelcoR Service Center.

E33 - CD Changer Communication Error Cause(s): There is a vehicle/radio communication problem or internal radio communication problem. Correction(s): Disconnect battery voltage to the radio and then reconnect after a few minutes. If there is still an error, determine if the problem is with the radio, the harness or the changer. Inspect for correct voltage at all connectors. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelcoR Service Center.

E34 - Changer Door Open

E35 - Changer Magazine Empty

Try purchasing a CD Lense Cleaning Disk like this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...=9302097&st=cd cleaner&contract_desc=null

and/or cleaning , restoring the disc themselves like this http://www.bugspit.com/how_bugspit_works.htm

I recently got a changer off e-bay and thats what I did.

Thread Information