Thread: weird short

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

weird short

I've got a weird inconsistent short that looses power to both windows and the stereo at the same time. I could be sitting at the stop light and I dont hear the stereo anymore and it wont even display the time, no power. Then in the next minute its working again. The same happens with the windows at the same time. Ive had someone look at it but I cant reproduce it. it goes out like the twilight zone

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

It's the BCM (body control modual). lol In mine the stereo will power off and if I hit the window button everything powers back up. There is a fix that envolves taking it out and soldering some joints. I have already tried this once and I need to pull it and try some other repairs to see if I can fix mine.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

If the BCM isn't the problem, I'd look for an open, not a short. A short will typically cause things suddenly to work, versus not working at all. Condinuity testers work great for finding opens.

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    If the BCM isn't the problem, I'd look for an open, not a short. A short will typically cause things suddenly to work, versus not working at all. Condinuity testers work great for finding opens.
    the power does come and go but its very unpredictable. some times i go days with no problems and others i cant drive anywhere with music or window power.

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

[QUOTE=JaycenK;2290333]It's the BCM (body control modual). lol In mine the stereo will power off and if I hit the window button everything powers back up. There is a fix that envolves taking it out and soldering some joints. I have already tried this once and I need to pull it and try some other repairs to see if I can fix mine.[/QUOTE

would the bcm control power to windows and radio? I can push buttons all day with no response until the "ghost" turns back on the power

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I see your point jaycenk. I did some research on the BCM and it sounds like the place to focus on. THX

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

yea most of the time it is like what you are saying. The relay becomes loose on the board and untill it makes good contact with the power circuit it will not function. Mine is odd because if I hit the window button everything works fine. I may have a bad ground like KMdef9 said, but I have not had the time to track it down yet. The fix only takes a few minutes and removal and install of the BCM takes about 30 min total so it's not a huge waist of time to open it up and re solder those joints.

Thread Information