Wanting a sub, now w/ Monsoon

Just recently did the Monsoon system w/ infinity kappa 62.7's in the doors (the sticky)..

and now I need bass.

I think i'm going with the stealthbox ( http://www.subthump.com/acamarostealth.htm )

and the Elemental Designs 11Kv.2 ( http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=30 )

Is that a good sub for SQ? Do I want the 2ohm or 4ohm? What amp should I get? And what else do I need to hook this up to my monsoon system?

golden
    89 grand prix

well with you'll have to choose the amp and sub together. you'll get more output with the 2ohm but you need an amp that puts out at that. so if you get a 2ohm resistance sub get an amp with power ratings at 2ohm as well. definately don't skimp on the wiring if your going that route though. i don't know anything about that particular woofer, i'd go with a more common name though. not saying that's necessarily a pos sub though.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

That sub is an awesome match for that box. Elemental Designs is higher quality than your typical Alpine, etc.....don't let lesser known names fool you. My next system is actually entirely Elemental Designs.

You will get more from 2 ohms USUALLY....however all depends on what the amp was designed to perform best at.

All you'll need is a line-level adapter and an amp wiring kit.

cool.. anyone have a recommendation on a perfect amp for this?

I say, diss the Moonsoon stock head unit, and get Alpine for $200... you get much better sound quality from that. and can play MP3s as well.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Yea -- unless you must have that stock look, get rid of it. With as much as you're doing -- you will benefit greatly from nice high V preouts Vs. speaker level inputs or using a line-level adapter. The Monsoon HU is the primary source of distortion that kills factory speakers (along with poor build quality).

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

If you have the money, here is an idea:

I have the stealth box with a JL Audio 10W3V2-D4 (which is a dual 4 ohm coil, I have it bridged to a 2 ohm) powered by a JL Audio e1400D amp (rated at 400W RMS X 1 @2 ohm at 12.5 volts) and a bass control knob by my TCS switch. With the factory monsoon system. And it hits pretty hard, thinking about upgrading to the 10W6V2-D4 it hits even harder. I've gotten plenty of compliments especially on how clear it is. It is kinda pricey but I thought it was well worth it. Everything plus install was around $1100. But I think I paid like 230 for the box way back in the day.

Blue
    2002 Z-28

I just installed my subthump stealthbox this weekend. All I can say is WOW! This thing Sounds Awsome! for only One 10" you would not belleive how sweet it sounds. good luck with yours!

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02bluez28 View Post
    for only One 10" you would not belleive how sweet it sounds.
    That's a very...eh, I don't know how to word it -- but there are POS 10" that put out 50wRMS, and awesome 10" that put out only 150wRMS.....while there are POS 10" that put out 1000wRMS, and incredible ones that put out 600wRMS.....

Point is -- only "one 10"" is a very general statement, and one shouldn't be surprised or expect less from a 10". Plus...the stealthbox being in the corner and the well like that helps also.

golden
    89 grand prix

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    If you have the money, here is an idea:

I have the stealth box with a JL Audio 10W3V2-D4 (which is a dual 4 ohm coil, I have it bridged to a 2 ohm) powered by a JL Audio e1400D amp (rated at 400W RMS X 1 @2 ohm at 12.5 volts) and a bass control knob by my TCS switch. With the factory monsoon system. And it hits pretty hard, thinking about upgrading to the 10W6V2-D4 it hits even harder. I've gotten plenty of compliments especially on how clear it is. It is kinda pricey but I thought it was well worth it. Everything plus install was around $1100. But I think I paid like 230 for the box way back in the day.
    yeah jl products work hard for ya. here's an example i orginally had a 15inch solo baric l7 hooked up to my kx1200x1 amp pulling 2ohms i sold the kicker and bought a 12inch jl w7 that pulled at 3 ohms (dual 6ohm voice coils) and it was a lot louder and would put out frequencies clearly that i didn't even know some songs had. i could not get that thing to distort. in summary a conventional 12inch jl pulling 900watts was better sounding and louder than a square 15 inch kicker i had pulling a full 1200. you'll definately pay more for that though.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

You pay for what you get, even in car audio. Every once in a while a cheaper version comes out and sounds good, but I will stick with my JL. I blew the first speaker about a year after install and it was replaced for free, well I paid the difference to just upgrade it to what I have now. but yeah that W7 series is phenominal. Had a friend that had 1 12" and won bass off contest against people that spent 2 and 3 times what he did with Rockford and Kicker.

golden
    89 grand prix

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    You pay for what you get, even in car audio. Every once in a while a cheaper version comes out and sounds good, but I will stick with my JL. I blew the first speaker about a year after install and it was replaced for free, well I paid the difference to just upgrade it to what I have now. but yeah that W7 series is phenominal. Had a friend that had 1 12" and won bass off contest against people that spent 2 and 3 times what he did with Rockford and Kicker.

yeah, the friend i sold that setup to hit 13x db with it in an impala. i actually sold the sub amp and a crossover for less than the sub retails, but hey i didn't pay retail for any of it

Blue
    2002 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    That's a very...eh, I don't know how to word it -- but there are POS 10" that put out 50wRMS, and awesome 10" that put out only 150wRMS.....while there are POS 10" that put out 1000wRMS, and incredible ones that put out 600wRMS.....

Point is -- only "one 10"" is a very general statement, and one shouldn't be surprised or expect less from a 10". Plus...the stealthbox being in the corner and the well like that helps also.
    Actually, Sub's dont put out any power. Amps do. Some Subs handle more then others sure...

And Certainly one should be surprised or disapointed with the sound quality/DB output of a particular setup.

My point being: After 8+ years in car audio This particular setup I am Very pleased with.
    Btw: anything from Elemental Designs is going to be good SQ

I also would highly recomend replacing that monsoon CD player with something after market (will clean up the system a lot)
    As for amps look into rockford, Diamond, kicker, jbl, hifonics All are good amps that will do rated power or more and you should be able to find um for cheap.

golden
    89 grand prix

be careful though some brands rate their amps questionabley. like if you have a friend who has a "1500" watt amp thats the size of a magazine. there's a certification that you can look for, i cant remember what its called right now but most big brands abide by it.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02bluez28 View Post
    Actually, Sub's dont put out any power. Amps do. Some Subs handle more then others sure...

And Certainly one should be surprised or disapointed with the sound quality/DB output of a particular setup.

My point being: After 8+ years in car audio This particular setup I am Very pleased with.
    Btw: anything from Elemental Designs is going to be good SQ

I also would highly recomend replacing that monsoon CD player with something after market (will clean up the system a lot)
    As for amps look into rockford, Diamond, kicker, jbl, hifonics All are good amps that will do rated power or more and you should be able to find um for cheap.
    OK - you know what I meant....if you want to try to catch me on a technicality -- then fine, yes - in short subs translate the power/signals into motion producing pressure waves. Amps don't really put out power either if you want to be that technical -- they amplify power demanded.

I agree -- anything from eD will be good for SQ -- however, stay away from their SQ10 (as ironic as that sounds).

Thread Information