Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Upgrading 02 SS Head Unit Couple Questions

OK, I recently purchased a 2002 SS w/ T-tops. (have had it a week still smiling large)

I am going to be installing the following and wondered if you have any experience / success in the three questions below.

A) Where did you locate the GPS Antenna? (Looks & Function matter)
    Thinking on corner of dash on passenger side
    B) Where did you locate the XM Antenna? (Looks & Function matter)
    Thinking rear deck/hatch, but have seen talk of success of spots inside vehicle. Anyone on Gen4?
    C) Where did you tap into the reverse light circuit for Back-Up camera power / activation?
    Camera will likely power at back of vehicle off light circuit. But activation for head unit needs that signal also, do I have to run a wire front to back to same location?

Head Unit: Kenwood DNX692
    XM tuner: SXV300V1
    Interface: PAC SWI-CP5
    Camera: E-Sky - license plate mount (inexpensive one from Amazon- seen many good reviews)

Along with the standard, connection / splices, antenna adapter, dash trim adapter etc.

Vehicle is going to be my non-winter daily driver Click the image to open in full size.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Both of my GPS and xm antennas are under the dash mat kind of in the middle where ther are some low gaps big enough to fit them in. Both work fine with no issue and they aren't visable to the eye.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

No dash pad in my car, but I will try to install them inconspicuously on the dash.

She's sleeping the winter off, hope to have an easy install come spring.

Would be nice to have storage at my place, so I could do it this winter. But not the case at this time.
    2002 Camaro SS
    Build# 9123
    Silver, TTops

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Congrats on your SS..!!....Im still smiling after all these years !

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Not that familiar with the antenna functions (meaning, do they need to see daylight to operate properly), but is it possible to put them in the spare tire well? They would be completely out of site, but not sure if the signal would be affected by them being covered up. You could just leave the very tip of both antenna's poke out of the top of the cover. No one would ever see that, unless you pointed it out.

Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

So with some digging I have figured out the project requires more work.

Aftermarket head units can not utilize the factory monsoon amplifier and component front speaker set up.
    Will be upgrading the amplifier front & rear speakers at the same time.

AMP: Kenwood KAC-8406
    Fronts: Pioneer TS-D1602R
    Rears: Pioneer TS-D1002R

Atleast that is the thought at this time.

Anyone have success putting a larger amp in where the factory unit is located?

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I installed an amp rack in the rear hatch area. It's just a simple piece of MDF covered in carpet. The t-tops still fit without any issues. I installed a sub amp and a seperate amp for the other 8 speakers.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

As far as your question on the stock location, as long as the amp physically fits, I don't see why it wouldn't fit. The only issue I would see is air circulation. Aftermarket amps run a bit warmer. Most has cooling fans built-in them.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Here's what my amp rack looked like in my other Camaro. Each outside amp was a 2 channel bridged to run a single sub. The middle amp ran the component set up front and rear speakers.

Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

That was a really nice clean setup you had there John. The only thing is, I wanted to be able to put my t-tops in the stock location. So I made a custom sub box the sits where your amps were. I used some straps to keep it down in case I have an accident. Don't want a 75lb box flying over the seats. My amp rack is opposite side of my tail lights.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Gotcha. Yeah, this car was a hardtop. I had a piece of wood under the carpet which I screwed down into the body and then the amps were all screwed down into the wood so it wasn't going anywhere. The cover surrounding the amps was just a shell for the most part there to hide all the wiring.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Attachment 26531this is what up I came up with years ago. Nothing fancy and a bit primitive, but functional. I use to have matching Alpine amps, but 1 died. I guess being 20+ year old amps, it was bound to happen. The other is still working though. 😆👍

Thread Information