Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Too much??

This is a discussion on Too much?? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; There are not a whole lot of options in our cars for hiding the amplifier. The size of the amplifier ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

There are not a whole lot of options in our cars for hiding the amplifier. The size of the amplifier will have an impact on where you can put it. The type and output will also. Larger driving amps will require more air space to keep cooler.

Like I suggested earlier in the thread, you can put it on the side, where the CD Changer would normally go. This way it's not exactly in plain site when looking through the rear window. You can also build an amp rack, like I showed on my picture, and cover it with something when you are not at the vehicle.

I had tinted windows, and I covered my amp rack when I parked the vehicle outside. Kind of a nuisance, but this is what I did. I never had any issues and mine hit pretty hard.

Tint helps.

Black w/ red race stripes
    2001 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Glad to see you got it all hooked up and working. It looks great. Hopefully you like how it sounds just as well.

Don't worry too much about screwing into the line.....I've made this mistake before (screwed into a RCA cable). Since then I've learned to tape the wiring to the underside of the skirt to make sure I know exactly where it is running through at.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Install looks great! Must be a rite of passage to run a screw through something on an audio install. Did that to my friends Grand Am GT years ago... oooops! You only do it once.
    Now I don't feel so bad lol! I had been fighting with that stupid plastic for over an hour to avoid doing just that and when I did I had to step back for a few lol. If it had been the 12 gauge power line I wouldnt have been so pissed - but it HAD to be the braided metal nitrous line DOH! I ended up taking the seatbelt piece off and running under the carpet.

2001 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Ws6islife View Post
    post up some pics of your amp, i need ideas of ways to hide my amp i dnt want it out showing cus i dnt want people looking in and seeing the amp and beeing like hey audio system let me take it..u know what i mean..
    The amp is under the box, I'll take some pics after school. For the Class D amp that I got it was WAY too big to fit in the space where the CD changer goes, and with that box I couldn't hang it. So I just screwed it in to the floor of the trunk. Because the box I have has the ttop slot and roomy area underneath, the amp has plenty of space to vent.

Like you, I didn't want to mount the amp where people could see it - I take my car to school and some college punks broke into my car last year and stole my stupid radar detector. Better to hide it or like he said take precautions every time you leave your car.

...whats also cool about this box is I noticed that you can keep the trunk flap in (not sure what its called lol) so you can't see ANY of the sound system, so with the Monsoon deck my car looks like it has total factory audio

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by WS6chick View Post
    Now I don't feel so bad lol! I had been fighting with that stupid plastic for over an hour to avoid doing just that and when I did I had to step back for a few lol. If it had been the 12 gauge power line I wouldnt have been so pissed - but it HAD to be the braided metal nitrous line DOH! I ended up taking the seatbelt piece off and running under the carpet.
    This is what I did also. And, I use the "trunk flapper thing-a-ma-jiggy" () to cover my amp rack.

PS - I didn't know what it was called either so in my original reply about what I used to hide my rack I omitted it

I don't feel so bad now, haha.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

I bought em from subthump.com for $340 with ttop slot, logo, s&h (you can get them with or without ttop slot and you can have any badge logo put on there for extra $$) - excellent craftsmanship and awesome customer service (super fast shipping too! ordered on Tuesday and got em by Friday). I brought the box to several custom audio places to get the right subs+amp and each one did a double take with two thumbs up lol

Here are some pics minus the 2 MTX TR55 10s I just bought...(ignore the PITA fuel rail covers that I've yet to put on lol)

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    i think that it would look awesome to have those fuel rail covers made into amp covers....if you look at the pics it kinda looks like it should be so.....also ive multiplied the sound of subs by having a downfiring box in the back...but there has to be room on the sides of the box for air to escape....

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

yes someone broke into my car as well, nothing to take at the time tho, i ran out as soon as a felt my viper remote vibrate i was liek f*** i was all the way on the other side of the parking lot

2001 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    This is what I did also. And, I use the "trunk flapper thing-a-ma-jiggy" () to cover my amp rack.

PS - I didn't know what it was called either so in my original reply about what I used to hide my rack I omitted it

I don't feel so bad now, haha.
    LOL! thats awesome!

2001 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    i think that it would look awesome to have those fuel rail covers made into amp covers....if you look at the pics it kinda looks like it should be so.....also ive multiplied the sound of subs by having a downfiring box in the back...but there has to be room on the sides of the box for air to escape....
    downfiring box??

pewter
    99 trans am

downfiring box??
    yea me and my cousin used to be into the car audio scene...we experimented with different configurations with all kinds of cars...one of the loudest cofigurations with an f body is to have the subs facing down into the trunk space in a ported enclosure...kinda simulates having subs in the trunk of a car...sound is increased by "cabin gain"...but there must be space on the sides of the box for air to escape from trunk cavity...otherwise it just doesnt sound right.

2001 Trans AM WS6

yea me and my cousin used to be into the car audio scene...we experimented with different configurations with all kinds of cars...one of the loudest cofigurations with an f body is to have the subs facing down into the trunk space in a ported enclosure...kinda simulates having subs in the trunk of a car...sound is increased by "cabin gain"...but there must be space on the sides of the box for air to escape from trunk cavity...otherwise it just doesnt sound right.
    Sweet! Makes sense too! I'd ask for pics but you prob wouldnt be able to see it since they're upside down lol...kick ass concept tho

pewter
    99 trans am

ill dig up some pics of some different enclosures we put in my 95 t/a...

pewter
    99 trans am

this is the first enclosure my cousin made for the 12 polk audio in the 95 t/a

the beginning stages of the 15" box

pewter
    99 trans am

this last pic doesnt do justice to the install since the spare tire cover wasnt inserted properly in this pic causing the box to look out of form...not to mention the mess of wires....these are the only pics i have left from the f body audio days...i cant find any downfire sub pics....ill dig around the net to see if i posted em somewhere else.

pewter
    99 trans am

no luck on the downfire pics....

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

I have 2 10's and still can hold my T-tops

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

That's where I had the sub box mounted in my first Camaro.

Quote Originally Posted by Teknik_SS View Post

Click for full size

Click for full size

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Teknik_SS View Post

Click for full size

Click for full size
    does your amp overheat being pressed against the carpet like that?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I had my amp mounted on top of the box between the subs. It put off plenty of heat too.

does your amp overheat being pressed against the carpet like that?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

I have had it like that for 6 years and have not had a problem with it overheating.

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

I'd post pics of my "system" but they are an insult to my ability and experience with audio.

I have a crappy little MTX amp, bridged into a crap MTX 10.

Its actually half of a sealed F150 box that I cut down with my circular saw. Looks gay as aids, but it sound phenominal. A friend of mine that used to install, says he can't believe thje sound either!

It will do until I get off my ass and install the diamond audio that came out of my Ranger.

2-D312v4's and a D3800.1. It was in a sealed downfire box I made in my 99 ranger 4 door. It was rediculous!

-------

My uncle has a nice setup in his WS6. Pioneer avic dvd, focal components, JL W7 10 and a JL 500/5. It was built by Kiefs in Lawrence KS. They did a nice amp install in the rear deck, with a removeable velcro fastened top, but I has plenty of clearance to maintain cooling. Ill try to get pics of it.

I've always experienced the greatest sound with sealed downfire. I'm thinking of a single 12 downfiring into the trunk well.

Anyone done this? Pics?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information