Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much??

Black w/ red race stripes
    2001 Trans AM WS6

Too much??

I'm goin for the custom t-top box at subthump for my two 10s, but not sure if I should get ta logo on it or not...what do you think? too much?

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by WS6chick View Post
    I'm goin for the custom t-top box at subthump for my two 10s, but not sure if I should get ta logo on it or not...what do you think? too much?

Click for full size
    i think it would look pretty good!

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

i like it. it would stand out even better with the letters a different color.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks good to me. Certainly not "too much" -- especially if you leave the lettering the same color as the enclosure.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I think it's sharp, I would hide the amp though. It would look like it was stock if the amp was hidden. Good find.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    I think it's sharp, I would hide the amp though. It would look like it was stock if the amp was hidden. Good find.
    I agree with the above about hiding the amp.

Only show off the amp if you are going to create a custom amp box, which by the sounds of you asking if this is "too much", doesn't seem like you after the flashy look, just the clean look.

I like it

2001 Trans AM WS6

I like the clean look.

Yeah I think if the amp was hidden it would look cleaner and make it easier to put the t-tops in the slot too

I've seen people hangin the amps on the back fascia panel of the trunk; looks good and still gives you room in the well

...just didn't know if havin "trans am" stamped everywhere on my car was too much (badges, embroidered headrests, license plate, fuel rail covers)...we get it, its a TA lol

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I like the clean look.

Yeah I think if the amp was hidden it would look cleaner and make it easier to put the t-tops in the slot too

I've seen people hangin the amps on the back fascia panel of the trunk; looks good and still gives you room in the well

...just didn't know if havin "trans am" stamped everywhere on my car was too much (badges, embroidered headrests, license plate, fuel rail covers)...we get it, its a TA lol
    I understand what you mean. It's really all about what you like though. Don't let anyone persuade you to do something different if you really like it. I don't think it's too much and I am pretty anal about cars. Your car looks great.

2001 Trans AM WS6

Thanks!! And back at ya!!
    ...and I think input from people who are anal their cars is the best kind to get lol.

Question though, should I be concerned about the amp generating too much heat being under the speaker box?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

...and I think input from people who are anal their cars is the best kind to get lol.

Question though, should I be concerned about the amp generating too much heat being under the speaker box?
    Thanks! I would suspect that it would probably generate some heat under there. I would consider mounting it on the side, behind the side panel. Like, where the spare tire would be on the passenger side, but on the driver side. There should be room there, and it will be out of the way.

You could consider mounting it under the seat also, if there is room. I really never looked under our seats. This is how I had mine set-up in my 1996. As seen, I wasn't too worried about having it up top lol.

2001 Trans AM WS6

Where the factory disc changer is? I can't put it where the spare tire goes, my nitrous bottle is in there lol.

I have the lumber seats in the ta so I don't think they'd fit under there....damn, runnin outta room here lol...might have to just get an amp worth lookin at and keep it out in the hatch area...

Is that your setup?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Where the factory disc changer is? I can't put it where the spare tire goes, my nitrous bottle is in there lol.

I have the lumber seats in the ta so I don't think they'd fit under there....damn, runnin outta room here lol...might have to just get an amp worth lookin at and keep it out in the hatch area...

Is that your setup?
    Damn, you have too many goodies in your car! Then yes, I would say keep it up top. It will need some ventilation, so it looks like that is your only option.

That was my set-up. Nothing too fancy, pretty simple and it was VERY inexpensive to make.

I don't have anything in the car now other than the head unit. I took everything out of it b/c that car just sits out in front of my house at the moment. I still have all of my stuff though and have contemplated on putting a little somethin somethin in the Impala lol.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

It really depends on the amp size (watts), speaker power and how hard you rock.

Since I don't think you'll be entering any sound compitions with the setup, you should be alright with heat disipation. If the amp has any fans, make sure you don't block them.

If it does happen to over heat, it will def. shorten the life of the amp.
    Last edited by KMdef9; 10-15-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I think that would look very nice.

2001 Trans AM WS6

Went ahead and bought the box, should be here by tomorrow or Monday

I have two new Kicker comp 10s but I'm thinking of selling these to put two JL or Memphis 10s in there...I know nothing of audio systems, so pushing two 10s shouldn't require a big amp? and therefore would be OK to put the amp under this type of box?
    Last edited by WS6chick; 10-15-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Went ahead and bought the box, should be here by tomorrow or Monday

I have two new Kicker comp 10s but I'd thinking of selling these to put two JL or Memphis 10s in there...I know nothing of audio systems, so pushing two 10s shouldn't require a big amp? and therefore would be OK to put the amp under this type of box?

Any amp will require at least some airspace for the cooling fins to work. Definitely do not mount the amp upside down as that defeats the purpose. Also, if the amp is simply powering the subs, you will want something with a "low pass filter" that will cancel out the higher frequencies. This can be built into the amp, or you can use coils to accomplish the same thing.

2001 Trans AM WS6

So don't hang the amp at all? or just not upside down?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

So don't hang the amp at all? or just not upside down?
    Just not upside down -- heat rises and it will soak back into the electronics. It's been a while since I did any installation work - last amp rack I made included a cooling fan to pull air across the amps that was simply triggered by the amp turn on. Most of them have thermal protection anymore, so you will know in a hurry if it does not have enough air.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Just not upside down -- heat rises and it will soak back into the electronics. It's been a while since I did any installation work - last amp rack I made included a cooling fan to pull air across the amps that was simply triggered by the amp turn on. Most of them have thermal protection anymore, so you will know in a hurry if it does not have enough air.

You also want to match the output of the amp to the rating of whatever subs you go with. Like Jeff said, get one with a built-in crossover also.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I like those custom boxes. you get to retain a holding place for the tops and everything.... But I think I'm going to pass on it when I do my sub. I'll just go with the CD changer location box for the minimal impact on space.

You should consider a dedicated sub amp. Any good Head unit will have sub outputs and the crossover should be adjustable in the head unit itself. If you combine that with a good class D monoblock you should have no problem powering 2 Single coil 10 inch subs. Class D amps are cheaper to buy if I recall correctly and are best suited to low frequencies. Since they are optimized for sub duty they consume a little less power and run a bit cooler thanks to greater efficiencies.

I have a Sony Xplod 800 watt monoblock powering a single Power Acoustik FUBR-12 dual 4 ohm voice coil sub. I've never ran it off of RCA's direct from a head unit so the signal sucks since it's coming off the factory amp in my saturn. Even with the sucky signal from the high low's I have tapped into the rear speakers, the sub still kicks and no matter how i've cranked it I haven't so much as popped a fuse in 5 or so years with this combo.

Best of luck on the install If you have any questions just ask!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information