Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Too much??

This is a discussion on Too much?? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; they ws6chik, would u mind letting me know where u got the box from? im looking at prices, im either ...

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

like the set up..

they ws6chik, would u mind letting me know where u got the box from? im looking at prices, im either going to build my own or buy it, i like that it says TA tho, looks clean, and i think showing your amp up top wouldnt be a problem, the only problem i actually have with that is my older trans am was broken into just because the amp didnt shut of and th elight stayed on and i guess it grabbed someones attention..it sux

Black w/ red race stripes
    2001 Trans AM WS6

I bought em from subthump.com for $340 with ttop slot, logo, s&h (you can get them with or without ttop slot and you can have any badge logo put on there for extra $$) - excellent craftsmanship and awesome customer service (super fast shipping too! ordered on Tuesday and got em by Friday). I brought the box to several custom audio places to get the right subs+amp and each one did a double take with two thumbs up lol

Here are some pics minus the 2 MTX TR55 10s I just bought...(ignore the PITA fuel rail covers that I've yet to put on lol)

Last edited by WS6chick; 10-20-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

wow it looks great, almos looks stock, like the guys a couple responses up said, im going to look into it, sweet ws6 btw

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I think that's done very nicely and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6chick View Post
    I bought em from subthump.com for $340 with ttop slot, logo, s&h (you can get them with or without ttop slot and you can have any badge logo put on there for extra $$) - excellent craftsmanship and awesome customer service (super fast shipping too! ordered on Tuesday and got em by Friday). I brought the box to several custom audio places to get the right subs+amp and each one did a double take with two thumbs up lol

Here are some pics minus the 2 MTX TR55 10s I just bought...(ignore the PITA fuel rail covers that I've yet to put on lol)

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

so since we are talking about audio, what do you gusy recomend for my door speakers, actually all of them belive they are 6.5

2001 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    I like those custom boxes. you get to retain a holding place for the tops and everything.... But I think I'm going to pass on it when I do my sub. I'll just go with the CD changer location box for the minimal impact on space.

You should consider a dedicated sub amp. Any good Head unit will have sub outputs and the crossover should be adjustable in the head unit itself. If you combine that with a good class D monoblock you should have no problem powering 2 Single coil 10 inch subs. Class D amps are cheaper to buy if I recall correctly and are best suited to low frequencies. Since they are optimized for sub duty they consume a little less power and run a bit cooler thanks to greater efficiencies.

I have a Sony Xplod 800 watt monoblock powering a single Power Acoustik FUBR-12 dual 4 ohm voice coil sub. I've never ran it off of RCA's direct from a head unit so the signal sucks since it's coming off the factory amp in my saturn. Even with the sucky signal from the high low's I have tapped into the rear speakers, the sub still kicks and no matter how i've cranked it I haven't so much as popped a fuse in 5 or so years with this combo.

Best of luck on the install If you have any questions just ask!
    I was determined to have JL subs but was nay-sayed by several audio shops for "paying for the name" so I went with (2) 4 ohm MTX TR55 10in single coil subs and 300-600 watt MTX Jackhammer Class D amp and sticking with factory cd unit. The dude gave me a plethora of wires, an rca somethin or other and a line out converter (maybe?) lol...gonna install this weekend...I'll prob have a million questions at that point

...and from what I've heard you could hook up a single cheapo Legacy sub from Walmart and it will sound good with the f-body hatchbacks lol, so I'm sure I'll achieve some high quality auditory loss with this setup

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nice! Does your amp have a low pass filter on it for the subs? The level match unit will be necessary to fine tune your signal from your stocker to the input on your amp. Should be instructions on the procedure and it is important both for sound quality and to protect your amp.

I have not had a good aftermarket audio system in a vehicle since I "sold" my Talon to my step-son years ago. It all sits on a shelf in the basement. This is giving me a case of the "wants".

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

MTX class D amps are specifically designed to drive subwoofers.

Good choice girl. And yes, you are going to LOVE how that hatchback sounds.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ws6islife View Post
    so since we are talking about audio, what do you gusy recomend for my door speakers, actually all of them belive they are 6.5
    You will get more responses and better feedback by starting your own thread on this.

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

thanks i did, they do have great customer service at subthump, boxes look great cant wait to get mine..

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Well, I've started another thread on here about that topic. I currently have 6.5" MB Quart Reference Series speakers in my doors and I'm now wanting to change out the center and rear speakers. For those, I'll probably be going with Kenwood's and may not even use the rears anymore and reroute the signal for those two the center speakers.

Black
    1987 Monte Carlo SS

It should set it off, but go no further.

2001 Trans AM WS6

All done

...btw, even at max the ttops don't make a peep in the slot.
    Awesome box for the money...couldnt be happier with it

2001 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    MTX class D amps are specifically designed to drive subwoofers.

Good choice girl. And yes, you are going to LOVE how that hatchback sounds.
    Thanks!!!

Yeah I like the class D amp cause it comes with knob adjuster, which I ran the lines down the door sills and mounted near the hood latch release.

It was pretty basic for everything (I went on LS1tech for the wiring setup). I did mess up tho, when running the power wire on the passenger door sill I accidentally screwed right into my nitrous line but other than that it was really easy!!! Thanks for all the info, it really helped!!! My ears are already ringing lol

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by WS6chick View Post
    Thanks!!!

Yeah I like the class D amp cause it comes with knob adjuster, which I ran the lines down the door sills and mounted near the hood latch release.

It was pretty basic for everything (I went on LS1tech for the wiring setup). I did mess up tho, when running the power wire on the passenger door sill I accidentally screwed right into my nitrous line but other than that it was really easy!!! Thanks for all the info, it really helped!!! My ears are already ringing lol
    Glad to see you got it all hooked up and working. It looks great. Hopefully you like how it sounds just as well.

Don't worry too much about screwing into the line.....I've made this mistake before (screwed into a RCA cable). Since then I've learned to tape the wiring to the underside of the skirt to make sure I know exactly where it is running through at.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 10-25-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Install looks great! Must be a rite of passage to run a screw through something on an audio install. Did that to my friends Grand Am GT years ago... oooops! You only do it once.

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

post up some pics of your amp, i need ideas of ways to hide my amp i dnt want it out showing cus i dnt want people looking in and seeing the amp and beeing like hey audio system let me take it..u know what i mean..

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

post up some pics of your amp, i need ideas of ways to hide my amp i dnt want it out showing cus i dnt want people looking in and seeing the amp and beeing like hey audio system let me take it..u know what i mean..
    My suggestion is to not "bump" it around where you live. If you don't, there would be no reason for anyone to look into your car to begin with. If you do, then it doesn't much matter where you "hide" the amp, they know it's there and if they want it, they will get it.

Just my 0.02.

Also, if you don't have one already, invest in a car alarm.

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

thanks dude, gots a viper alarm, i dont bumb around here, still would be kinda nice to give it a clean look if the amp was hidden..

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

bump***

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information