Black
    99 Z28

Time to start rebuilding....

Okay, so I'm thinking about my next system. I'm thinking of going balls out mad crazy and all that stuff and throwing 6 12s in the hatch (or 10s if I can't fit 12s), or just one as a stealth box or two in a well box like the one from subthump.

Any thoughts?

Any of you old timers around here will remember that at least I do have a clue what I'm doing with this stuff, but I'm looking for some feed back on doing something different.

If I do 6 subs, then I'm thinking of doing 4 in sealed boxes and two in ported boxes. Anyone ever done anything like that? Did the results suck?

I thought doing 2 8s and 2 12s would have sounded pretty good, but in the end, I never was all that impressed with my last box.

a little feed back please...

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

6 12's will be tough as well as 6 10's. It can be done. You can 4 subs in the hatch area and you will probally have to remove the backseat in order to add additional subs. A sealed enclouser is gonna be your best bet considering ported boxes require more air space. BTW, what are you planning on doing? Wakeing the dead?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

For the best results go with either a sealed or ported enclosure. Not both. Mixing and matching enclosure types like that isn't a good idea. You could end up having cancellation at some frequencies by doing so. Same goes for using 8" subs with 12" subs. If all 4 subs are crossed over the same you can also have cancellation problems. If you low pass the 12's @ 50Hz and bandpass the 8's from 50Hz to 100Hz that would be OK. It's when the 8's and 12's share the same crossover that you run into problems.

I think dual 12's in an optimum sized sealed enclosure is more than enough for a good subwoofer system in our cars.

I'm currently using two 10" Alpine Type-S subwoofers in Stealthboxes. Since the enclosures are right at the minimum recommended size for the subwoofers I was thinking of maybe switching to dual 8" subs. That way the 8" subs and their required enclosure size would be a bit more "optimum". They wouldn't be as compromised as the 10" subs are now.

When I actually get around to doing this though is anybody's guess.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal View Post
    ... Same goes for using 8" subs with 12" subs. If all 4 subs are crossed over the same you can also have cancellation problems. If you low pass the 12's @ 50Hz and bandpass the 8's from 50Hz to 100Hz that would be OK. It's when the 8's and 12's share the same crossover that you run into problems. ...
    That's what I did in my old box. If I recall right, it was even the same frequencies you just said. If it wasn't 50, then it was 60 and 60-100 but I think it was 50. Anyway, it still doesn't work out that great with the different sized subs.

I'll probably end up with 2 12s after it's all said and done, easier and less expensive.

To do 6 it would be all for the wow factor, which wears off quickly. It'd just get rid of everything else in the hatch. I think I could squeeze just enough space out for that, but it'd be cramped and also pretty time consuming, not to mention 3 times as expensive for the sub's cost alone.

Thread Information