Thread: TA Monsoon ?s

Silver
    98 Trans Am

TA Monsoon ?s

Ok I have read some of the threads here and from what I understand, the head unit powers the tweeters in the front doors and the speaker all the way in the dash. The amp the powers the 2ohm midbass speakers in the doors and the 6.5 subs in the side panels by the rear seat. So question is, is the subs and mid bass speakers crossed over? And are they crossed over different or are both sets actually subs? So in short are they crossedover and if so are they at different points?

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

They are crossed over at the Monsoon amp. They are probably the same as the front door. I am not sure of this though. I used a stock front door speaker out of my 02 Z28 as a temporary to replace a sail panel sub that had a bad connection and the front speaker seemed to handle the bass fine being used in place of the sub, I didn't connect the tweeter since there is no tweeter in the sail panel

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

on Trans Ams... ALL of the woofers are 4 ohms.

door speakers = 4 ohms
    sub woofers = 2+2=4 ohms
    hatch speakers = 4 ohms

the headunit powers all four tweeters on it's own

the majority of distortion you hear in the stock monsoon system is from the amp in the stock headunit... very poor quality.

The shop I went to recommended using an aftermarket headunit and wiring the RCAS into the stock monsoon system, (instead of the speaker level outputs)... apparently they have a method of doing this, which will eliminate most of the input distortion.

they let me listen to a stock trans am with ONLY an upgraded headunit, and wow... it kicked ass...

oh, and also.... all the tweeters are protected/cross-over through their own capacitors and whatnot, so you don't need anything extra.... the monsoon amp takes powers the 6 main woofers, and has it's own cross-overs built-in... nothing external.

2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    on Trans Ams... ALL of the woofers are 4 ohms.2ohms except the far rear 4inch

door speakers = 4 ohms wrong they are 2ohm
    sub woofers = 2+2=4 ohms wrong they are 4+4=2ohms
    hatch speakers = 4 ohms correct

the headunit powers all four tweeters on it's own correct, plus the 4inch speaker in the hatch

oh, and also.... all the tweeters are protected/cross-over through their own capacitors and whatnot, so you don't need anything extra.... the monsoon amp takes powers the 6 main woofers, and has it's own cross-overs built-in... nothing external.
    The T/A doesn't have 6 main woofers(only 4), the 2 in front doors and 2 in the sail panels the other speaker(4inch in the far rear runs off the HU)
    Last edited by rotwiler; 01-26-2006 at 11:54 AM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

yeah you're right...

apparently this site is wrong...

--w.houston-f-body.org/tech/monsoon/

so 100%, the front woofers are 2 ohms, the subs are 2x2, and the rear hatch speakers are 2 ohms as well?

and all four tweeters are 4 ohms, or what? they are directly run off of the headunit, so I would assume they were 4

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

so this schematic is wrong? shows the amp running all 6 woofers, and the hu powering all 4 tweeters...

--w.houston-f-body.org/tech/monsoon/Schem2.htm

2002 Z28

The front woofer on any except convertible FBody are 2 ohm and runs off the Monsoon amp, the tweeter in the front door is 4ohm and runs off the HU.

The Backseat sailpanel subs are 2ohm svc on the Camaro and DVC 4+4(at 2ohm) for the Pontiacs.

The far rear 4inch speaker is run off the HU along with the tweeter at 4ohms. I could be wrong about the 4inch woofer running off the HU on the T/A, but I know for sure it runs off the HU on the Camaro. I can't see any reason they would add a amplified 4inch speaker off the Monsoon, but I will check it out and get a answer.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 01-26-2006 at 12:12 PM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

do you know this because you pulled the speakers and tested their impedances?

just wondering.... cuz the net has a hundred different answers on this question.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I have recently pulled the speakers out of the door on a 2002 Camaro and they are marked on the back of the magnet as being 2 ohm-and they have separate wiring for the woofer and the tweeter.

2002 Z28

I replaced the front door speakers on my Z28 with Infinity 62.7i (2ohm)and the stock speakers say on them 2ohm, I have photos up on this forum. I also replaced the far rear and 1 backseat speaker and the far rear were 4ohm and rear set said 2ohm on them. This is on my 02 Z28. I also replaced the HU with a Kenwood and added a pac swi-x. The only thing stock in my Monsoon system is the Monsoon amps, wiring, and 1 sail panel sub, I used a leftover front speaker for a temporary replacement of the bad sailpanel sub and actually worked good.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 01-26-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

oops.. sorry, I knew the camaro had 2 ohm... but how exactly is the trans am setup?

2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    I have recently pulled the speakers out of the door on a 2002 Camaro and they are marked on the back of the magnet as being 2 ohm-and they have separate wiring for the woofer and the tweeter.
    Yep, but he is talking about a T/A, they have a different setup. I may be wrong about the far rear 4inch running off the Monsoon on the T/A, other than that I know the rest is correct. 02Z28LS1, let me know how the 62.7i's work out for you and if you don't replace the sailpanel subs, keep the old front door speakers in case you blow a sub, they fit perfect and work fine in place of the sub, just don't wire the tweeter up.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

Thanks for the info guys I just really wanted to know about the crossover though because I wanted to know if I had to get a 6.5 sub for the front speaker or if I can get a coaxial speaker for the front, if its crossover there is no need for the coaxial.

2002 Z28

It is crossed over through the Monsoon amp to the woofer, but is not at the tweeter running off the headunit(has the crossover built in to the tweeter).

Silver
    98 Trans Am

So is the front crossover low like the subwoofer or is it just crossover so its kind of like a midbass speaker, meaning crossed over a little higher.

2002 Z28

I don't know that answer. I would think they would be the same, but maybe someone else would know this.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

no the front woofer definitely has a 2-way filter... it SOUNDS like roughly a 60hz@6db/octave, and the upper end is probably like 1khz@6db/octave

I say 6db, because the front speakers still play *some* bass at like 40hz, but just VERY low volume...

and the 'subs' sound like they are passed over at 60hz... but man, at 60hz, these things really can't handle the power... they sound totally distorted.. I find myself always lowering the 'punchy' bass, and raising the lower, 40hz-ish bass...

Thread Information