slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

SWC button removal?

anyone know how to remove the steering wheel control buttons? I think that a led bulb is burned out in them cuz none of them are lit. I have a aftermarket head unit installed in the car but not the adapter to use the controls with it. Would getting this adapter make them lite up or is it just a burnt bulb thing? Or is there a fuse that runs these lights for them?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

It sounds like you're not getting power to the controls from the dimmer on the radio - as it would be highly unlikely that both LEDs would go bad. However, you can remove the controls from the steering wheel - they are pressed in. I've used a small screwdriver and gently pryed them out. Once removed, the face of the control will need to be removed from the compartment of the control. This will give you access to the LED. You could then use a multimeter to see if you are getting 12vdc to the LED.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Before you pop them out you should take the airbag off (disconnect the battery first! then take out the two T25's out of the back of the steering wheel) so you can access the harness for the SWCs and get some slack. Otherwise you'll never get them plugged back in!
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by damianj03 View Post
    anyone know how to remove the steering wheel control buttons? I think that a led bulb is burned out in them cuz none of them are lit. I have a aftermarket head unit installed in the car but not the adapter to use the controls with it. Would getting this adapter make them lite up or is it just a burnt bulb thing? Or is there a fuse that runs these lights for them?
    I want to take this a bit further. Is there a direct replacement for the steering wheel on our cars. Uses the airbag and all?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by damianj03 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    It sounds like you're not getting power to the controls from the dimmer on the radio - as it would be highly unlikely that both LEDs would go bad. However, you can remove the controls from the steering wheel - they are pressed in. I've used a small screwdriver and gently pryed them out. Once removed, the face of the control will need to be removed from the compartment of the control. This will give you access to the LED. You could then use a multimeter to see if you are getting 12vdc to the LED.
    Actually they are not LEDs, but tiny light bulbs. I replaced both of mine. They are soldered into a circuit board, not too hard of a job really. I did not have to do anything with the airbag, just popped them out, disconnected, replaced the bulbs and put it back together. I don't think they are lit by the radio supply, tho, so your aftermarket radio shouldn't have anything to do with the lights.

I took one light out, brought it to Radio Shack, and got a similar replacement there.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

No direct replacement that I know of. The only reason to remove the airbag is to make your life easier to get some slack on the wires.

Thread Information