soprano181

Subwoofer is not getting full juice!

Hey,

don't mean to bother people by posting this question again but i could use some input. I had an amplifier and subwoofer hooked up to my stock monsoon sound system. (250/1 JL AUDIO amp and 12 inch W0 JL AUDIO ported enclosed sub.) After the hook up when i picked up my car i am not impressed at all, i have the amp settings set as high as they can go and the bass settings on my head unit is set 3/4 of the way as well.
    I know the sub hits a lot harder because i had it hooked up in my 1990 4runner with an aftermarket head unit. what could cause this loss of power? would it be the stock head unit, or the adapters in order to hook up the rca's ?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

What adapter did you use to get your line level (RCA) signals to feed the subwoofer amp? Do it's outputs have level controls? What wires did you tap into to get the signal going to the line level converter? You may have tapped into a high passed signal which would result in very weak sub bass performance.

How big was the enclosure in your 4Runner compared to the enclosure you're using now? What type of enclosure was it? Sealed? Ported? Bandpass?
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

soprano181

thanks for the reply

I think i may have made a mistake by trusting the place i had install it. I don't know much about the specifics, i am not sure what kind of adapter it is, i don't think it has a name on it. There are no levels on the adapter though, and as far as i know i believe the guy tapped into my stock speakers for a signal. My subwoofer is in a ported box enclosure, i just transferred it from the back of my 4runner into the trunk of my g6 coupe. So you think it may have to do with what wires he grabbed a signal from?
    If this is the case, my options are rather limited, would you say it would have to be rewired, or possibly just use a different line level converter, one that has levels? thanks for your help, i appreciate it.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Sounds to me like they tapped into the wrong speaker wires. I'd take it back and tell them to do it again.

soprano181

all fixed, thank you for your help.

I called up the placed i had it installed and brought it in today. Turns out the adapter they used was bad. Sounds much better now, love the bass! thanks for your comments.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Seems rather odd to me that they didn't catch this themselves. Don't they even check their own work? It doesn't appear they do or they would/should have caught it long before you picked the car up. I think I would take any future business elsewhere if I were you.

soprano181
    Oh yeah trust me i'm never going back to them for audio business. Apparently they tell me that it was hitting harder when they first installed it, hmm doesn't sound like bs to me. But anyway i had to convince the guy something was wrong, and when he looked at it he finally agreed with me. I'm just glad it was taken care of.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

If they fixed it without charging you, then they can't be half bad. People make mistakes.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

Thread Information