Torque Junky

Blue on White & Dark Blue
    70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

Stock alarm "brain" location? (For replacement)

Anyone know where the stock alarm's brain/control module is located on the Trans Ams? I've bought a new one to replace it with, and would like to reuse some of the existing wires (power, etc) if possible.

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro convertible

Not sure where the control module is, but I know that the shock sensor on a 2001 F-body (convertible) is behind or near the Monsoon amp.

Torque Junky

70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

Yeah, I've found that shock sensor, but haven't been able to locate the stock alarm. Sucks, currently I have 2 alarms going in my car.. gets to be a bit of a pain.

Torque Junky

70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

Crap... I called a local Pontiac dealership. They said that I'm stuck with the factory alarm being active, because it's built into the PCM. Can it really be that crappy? How do thieves steal these cars when they have a factory alarm? There must be some trick to it...

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TransAMrit View Post
    Crap... I called a local Pontiac dealership. They said that I'm stuck with the factory alarm being active, because it's built into the PCM. Can it really be that crappy? How do thieves steal these cars when they have a factory alarm? There must be some trick to it...
    I don't know how they steal them either. Without that chip in your key the things a big paperweight.

Anyone know how to change the preference on the stock alarm. Mine honks everytime you lock it, and it drives me nuts.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by sidonsbones View Post
    I don't know how they steal them either. Without that chip in your key the things a big paperweight.

Anyone know how to change the preference on the stock alarm. Mine honks everytime you lock it, and it drives me nuts.
    Do a search on this site for the owner's manual for your car. There's a veeerrryyy long explanation in the manual on how to change the alarm / locking preferences. You have to unplug a couple of fuses & use the radio control buttons to reprogram your alarm.

Torque Junky

70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    Do a search on this site for the owner's manual for your car. There's a veeerrryyy long explanation in the manual on how to change the alarm / locking preferences. You have to unplug a couple of fuses & use the radio control buttons to reprogram your alarm.
    Hmm, there's an idea.. Maybe there are some fuses that can be pulled out to disable the stock alarm.

Although, searching for "manual" on these forums seems to be pretty hopeless, conflicts with manual transmission.. I'll try and take a look in my manual for you, sidsonbones, and scan/type/something if I find anything useful.

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    What about if I don't have a stock radio anymore?

black
    RIP 02 Camaro SS

it is not hard to disable the stock alarm.

shoot me a PM with your email, or just post it here, and i will send you the .pdf file how to do it.

or I guess i could just type it out....give me some time

Torque Junky

70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

Oh, sorry, I forgot to update during the last few days. I've gotten the stock alarm disabled, and you're right, it wasn't hard.

Sidsonbones: I think you actually don't need the stock radio to adjust any of these settings. If I can remember when I'm at home, I'll briefly type up both of these instructions, so future searchers can find them as well.

black
    RIP 02 Camaro SS

no, you don't need the stock radio to disable, you only need to pull the fuse, and do some key pad comands, and pop the fuse back in.

Torque Junky

70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

Here we go:

Entering programming mode: Put your key in, turn it to Run, then to Off. Remove Radio fuse panel between driver door and instrument panel. Turn key to Accessory position (backwards, towards you). You should hear one or two chimes, depending on the features your car has.

Leaving programming mode: Turn ignition off and re-insert radio fuse.

While in programming mode:

To change alarm de-/activation notification: Press the lock button on your alarm transmitter. It will chirp the number of times that correspond with the current setting. 1 chirp = no horn/lights, 2 chirps = lights & double chirp, 3 = lights & double chirp, with single chirp instead if trunk is open, 4 = lights only. To cycle through the 4 choices, press the horn button.

To disable factory alarm (retains keyless entry): Press door unlock switch until only one chirp is heard. To return to the factory setting (alarm arms with keyless remote transmitter OR with power door lock switch), change setting to 3 chirps.

Other things that can be configured, and how:
    Exit Lighting and Delayed Illumination - Turn instrument panel brightness control all the way up.
    Last Door Closed Locking and Lockout Prevention - Press door power lock button.
    Remote Keyless Entry Verification (lights & horn) - Press unlock button on remote transmitter.
    Driver's Door Alarm Delay and Shock Sensor Enable - Turn parking lamps on and off.

All of the above are adjusted in the same method, and while in programming mode. Each of them also have a number of settings, just like the alarm notification setting. When done with settings, see "leaving programming mode" above.

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks. The beeping horn drives me nuts everytime I lock the car.

Thread Information