silver
    98 SS Camaro

Stereo Question for a rookie

I have a 98 ss camaro w/monsoon syst. I bought this car used and am replacing the stock tuner w/a pioneer 410 head unit. There are 2 sets of plugs on the rear of the stock radio-one has like 16 pins one has maybe 6-8. The wiring adapter kit i am using plugs into the 16 pin but the other one is not accomodated. What is that one for? Also there is a 6-8 pin plug in the back hatch area that is not plugged to anything. Is something missing there? Cant get any sound out of the new unit-powers up but now sound- Any help?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

I have got the same question. I don't have wheel controls.

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

The smaller plug is for your cd changer. And yes you are missing the changer in the back it seems to me.

Did you buy an adapter so you did not have to remove factory harness? If so just make sure you have it all wired up right on the adapter.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

The OP may have a changer but I don't so all I have to do is ignore it then right?

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

If you don't have the changer just ignore the second plug if you turn on your deck an get no sound you missed a wire the remote wire needs to be hooked up so it turns the monsoon amp on also if anyone wants the stock changer I have mine and don't use it any more $30 plus shipping it's yours

silver
    98 SS Camaro

Thanks, I think the cd changer musta been hijacked before I got it. The guy I bought the equipment from said there was a blue/white wire that may need to be connected for the amp trigger (factory amp?) Or it feeds thru the factory amp or something like that.

silver
    98 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    If you don't have the changer just ignore the second plug if you turn on your deck an get no sound you missed a wire the remote wire needs to be hooked up so it turns the monsoon amp on also if anyone wants the stock changer I have mine and don't use it any more $30 plus shipping it's yours
    Hey didn't see this before I posted-would this be the same wire he is referring to?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by gambler View Post
    Hey didn't see this before I posted-would this be the same wire he is referring to?
    I think so. He is saying there is a wire on that harness that turns the amp on so you have to get it out and hook it up the head units remote power so the amp turns on and off with the head unit.

silver
    98 SS Camaro

Ok thanks- where is the amp located?- also how about a good speaker upgrade. I want to keep the stock appearance to the interior-not butcher it up.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

amp is in the hatch area just forward of the spare tire and it faces the inside of the quarter panel only thing you may see at first is a wire harness just trace that and you should see it. As far as speakers, well thats a personal call as to what you are tring to do but I would start a new thread to get the most exposure to your question. Several ways to build these systems so figure out how you want to do it and research what speakers people have used and how they like them.

silver
    98 SS Camaro

Guys I called the store I purchased from and the tech said the blue/white wires had to be connected to power the amp. He said connect the other wires color 4 color as the diagrams show. done this twice and still no sound. cant b that hard- am i missing something or maybe a bad unit?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Head unit is powered up? check the settings and make sure it's not something in there?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

you also said "6-8 pin plug in the back hatch area" what side is it on?

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

The 6-8 pin plug should be on the left that's where the factory changer would of been the plug runs all the way to the dash an the remote turn on for the amp is in the dash also I forgot what color it is but the blue white wire from the deck is the one you need to hook to it I think mine was in the wire harnes I bought to put the deck in my car is put away for the winter but I'll try to get to it today and pull the radio out to look

Thread Information