U-R-Sofa-King-Retarded SINISTER-TA's Avatar

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Steering wheel stereo controls

So I purchased a new Head Unit to replace the stock one in my 02 TA. I also bought a PAC SWI-JACK Steering wheel interface device so that I could retain my steering wheel controls. This device is suppose to be compatible with my car and the Kenwood KVT-512 head unit that I bought.

The problem is...when I look at the vehicle application guide to figure out what wire to tap into (vehicles harness), it only lists a 89 Pontiac Firebird. The guide also states that if my vehicle isn't listed, pick a vehicle from the same manufacturer and same model year with the same type plug and use that application/wiring guide. Does anyone know what GM vehicle used the same wiring harness/plug as the TA w/monsoon? Has anyone ever used this device before?

Thanks in advance.

try doing a search

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Well piss. One kinda quick way to find out would be to go to a walmart and find the plug for your car and look at the vehicles it fits on the back.

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    try doing a search
    I did...that why I asked the question.

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Well piss. One kinda quick way to find out would be to go to a walmart and find the plug for your car and look at the vehicles it fits on the back.
    That would seem like an easy task but...GM made so many different style plugs over the years that it would be like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by SINISTER-TA View Post
    That would seem like an easy task but...GM made so many different style plugs over the years that it would be like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.
    I had no issue picking mine up. I looked for a 93-02 camaro/firebird. Find it and you can find the rest of the matching vehicles on the back. If I got to walmart later Ill look it up for you

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I had no issue picking mine up. I looked for a 93-02 camaro/firebird. Find it and you can find the rest of the matching vehicles on the back. If I got to walmart later Ill look it up for you
    I'm not looking for the plug harness to connect from head unit into the factory harness. I have that. What I need to figure out is what wire to tap into for the interface device so that I can retain the factory steering wheel control features. Pontiac used steering wheel controls in many of their models over the years and changed the plug and wire color configuration many times. I need to know what year and model used the same type plug and wire color combo that my TA uses.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by SINISTER-TA View Post
    I'm not looking for the plug harness to connect from head unit into the factory harness. I have that. What I need to figure out is what wire to tap into for the interface device so that I can retain the factory steering wheel control features. Pontiac used steering wheel controls in many of their models over the years and changed the plug and wire color configuration many times. I need to know what year and model used the same type plug and wire color combo that my TA uses.
    Thats what im saying. Ill look up the other vehicles on the back of the package.. LOL.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

id say try a gran prix or grand am of the same year.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

Refer to the 1992-2003 Pontiac - All models with air bag, without heater controls 21 pin connector.

http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...Vehicles&ID=97
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

NBM
    2002 Trans Am

I already figured it out on LS1 Tech. They have an actual write up on it. Should have checked there first. Thanks anyway though.

That diagram in the link does not apply to F-Bodies. The color wire need to be tapped into is blue.
    Last edited by SINISTER-TA; 02-24-2009 at 07:03 AM.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

On the top of this page. It says monsoon wiring diagrams for you. HUGE sticky. You open that. Last image in there T-Monsoon3. It shows the connector. Then it says what pin number the wire is on, numbers the pins, and says what color the wire is.

You might want to download that so you can find the right wire to hook up for power. Also if you're using kenwood, might want to do a search for "bullet connector" cause you are not going to have a clue how to hook the pac up to the radio since the connector is NOT SUPPLIED.

Also, make sure you tap into a wire that does not have constant power, otherwise programming the pac will not work.

Thread Information