Steering wheel controls

This is a discussion on Steering wheel controls within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; If someone can help me, Thank You. I have a 1998 Z28 Monsoon system stock with no steering wheel controls. ...

NBM
    1998 Z28

Steering wheel controls

If someone can help me, Thank You. I have a 1998 Z28 Monsoon system stock with no steering wheel controls. I bought a Steering wheel and column from a 2000 z28. I have no connector under my dash to plug the connector of the steering wheel to. Does anyone know has this been done before? There are only 4 wires on the connector from the 2000 wheel, anyone know where they go? I have the Service Manuals for the 1998 camaro and firebird but the clolrs of the wires don't match. The 1998 Firebird has steering wheel controls and I was thinking that it might not be tooooo difficult to make this work. Any Ideas? again thanx for any Help.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

All depends on the HU as well. I'm not sure if they go all the way to the back of the HU or not though. I'm also not sure how much of a difference there is between the HU's of 1998 and 2000.

But it could be that simple.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Someone on this site did it. Hopefully he will chime in.

NBM
    1998 Z28

That's good to hear, the radio has the proper connection it is from a 1999 SS.
    I show 1 wire to the radio, 2 to the IP Fuse and 1 somewhere else. I really want to install this steering wheel, mine is in bad shape.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Civic1 View Post
    That's good to hear, the radio has the proper connection it is from a 1999 SS.
    I show 1 wire to the radio, 2 to the IP Fuse and 1 somewhere else. I really want to install this steering wheel, mine is in bad shape.
    Replace it then, even if they are none functional for the time being, you won't have a worn out steering wheel.

Streatching my memory here, been so long since I replaced those. There should be more than 4 wires out of the buttons themselves, I would guess somewhere around 6+, but I could be wrong. 1 for lighting, 1 for ground, 2 for volume/seek, at least 1 for present/mute and at least 1 more am/fm/play.

NBM
    1998 Z28

KMdef9: Yes there are but at the other end on the steering column there 2 plugs 1 yellow for the air bag and the other gray for the radio. The radio plug has 4 wires yellow, gray, black w/white strip and light green. I do not have the connection for this plug in my cars wireing harness. I need to know where these wires connect to. And is this possible to do or am I just wasteing my time and getting my hopes up? Thanx.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

This is what my haynes manual lists for the steering wheel control wires. They should connect back to the radio. Yellow-radio fuse. Dk blue-back of radio for controls. Gray-interior lights. Black-ground. The listing says for typical audio system and for firebird.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Civic1 View Post
    KMdef9: Yes there are but at the other end on the steering column there 2 plugs 1 yellow for the air bag and the other gray for the radio. The radio plug has 4 wires yellow, gray, black w/white strip and light green. I do not have the connection for this plug in my cars wireing harness. I need to know where these wires connect to. And is this possible to do or am I just wasteing my time and getting my hopes up? Thanx.
    I was only discussing the wires for the controls, I honestly am not sure about the airbag at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    This is what my haynes manual lists for the steering wheel control wires. They should connect back to the radio. Yellow-radio fuse. Dk blue-back of radio for controls. Gray-interior lights. Black-ground. The listing says for typical audio system and for firebird.
    That sounds about right. I haven't looked at a Haynes in while, I think mines a Chilton, which I dot use to reference wiring diagrams be ause it wasn't too helpful from what I remember.

To the OP, I would search this site for the wiring diagrams and/or pick up a Haynes book. If i get some free time this week I'll try and look up the diagrams, I know there here somewhere. Just is too much a pain while I'm on my phone.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I didn't realize you were installing the airbag (functionally), so I would make sure that that gets wired properly, I'd hate to see it get set off. Take proper precautions, I'm not sure how they get set off, some make sure to read any directions thoroughly.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

I saw this that could be helpful.
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/stereo...-controls.html
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

NBM
    1998 Z28

The Guz: thanx for the link I am there. I am trying to find out where to connect the wires that are in the Gray lead. My car is a 1998 and is not equipped for that connection I must make my own but dont know where to put them.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

The four wires that come out are pretty simple to set up- gray to lights, yellow to a switched source (1A), black to ground, and blue to the radio. Blue goes in the #14 spot (shouldn't be any wires going into one section of the plug, if there is, then that would be the steering wheel controls wire):

There is a place in the fuse box (driver side dash) for the steering wheel controls (top row, second or third one over - 1A), but you could just run it off another switched source just make sure to fuse it.

NBM
    1998 Z28

bberretta great pic but I don't have a dark Blue I have a light Green coming off the steering wheel. I hope it is the same.

Bright Red

On my 2000 it was blue in the 14th pin, but it could also be green but it may be in the 13th pin. Anyone have one they can verify?

NBM
    1998 Z28

I'm thinking they are all light green. Just look at this post.
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/stereo...-controls.html

Bright Red

The one going to the radio is blue:

The one coming out of the clockspring is green:

BTW- here's the instructions from PAC-Audio.com on installing their unit in a F-Body- that's where I got the image of the radio plug.

NBM
    1998 Z28

OK Great thats what I wanted to know, thank You. it was the light green that threw me off. Now I have only 1 wire left to figure out. The orange one that has had the end clip pulled off. I think it is for the Ignition switch. There are 2 small sires inside. I was thinking to try and get a new clip for the end . I was wondering if these wire are for the ignition , and the chip in th key works off of resistance and i add wire or solder the wires would this interfere with the chip in the key. As not reading the corrrect ohm and not allowing the car to start? Changing the lock cylinder in the steering column looks like a real PITA. I was thinking of going to the junk yard to find an end clip to splice back on.

Bright Red

It's been a few months since I had to swap out my steering column, so I'm going from memory here: The ignition switch isn't bad at all. If you have the turn signal cam out then it is one torx screw holding it in. You feed the orange wire down the bottom of the column with the rest of the wires. In fact, you should be able to swap the ignition switch from your old column to the new one pretty easily, that way you keep the same key. I wouldn't go cutting and soldering that wire- the increased resistance may cause problems with the VATS and your car won't start.

Thread Information