Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Stealth enclosures

I'm starting the stereo mods now. Picked up a Panasonic multimedia deck today, some Infinity 6.75 components, and some Polk 6.5 components to use with my old pair of Alpine 3555 amps. The sub is all I have left to work out. I'm looking at a Stealth enclosure with a Kicker L5/L7. Anyone here using the Stealth boxes? Do they provide adequate airspace?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

IMO a Stealthbox type of enclosure only has enough internal volume for an 8" subwoofer to perform optimally. Any sub larger than that and the enclosure compromises the sub's minimal internal volume requirements. I used dual SubThump Stealthboxes with 10" Alpine Type-S subwoofers. While this setup fit my needs someone who likes cRap or really LOUD pounding bass would probably be a bit disappointed in their results. Using 12" subs would be even more of a compromise. If I still had my car I was seriously considering dropping in a pair of 8" subs to see how they would perform. I don't know what the minimum internal volume requirements are for the Kicker subs but if the enclosure's intrenal volume is at the minimum for that perticular subwoofer the sound will, IMO, be compromised.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

According to Kicker 10" L5s require .66-1.0 cu ft sealed, or 1.25-2.25 cu ft ported. I don't know how big the Stealth boxes are, but they look small. This is the Stealth box I was looking at http://www.subthump.com/acamarostealth.htm . It says it's .6 cu ft, but it seems small. I would expect something a bit larger to sound better. If the box is only .6 to start with, removing the space the speaker will draft will leave much less space than the speaker requires.

I listen to very little cRap, mostly listen to hard rock like Korn, Mushroomhead, Megadeth, etc... I'd like to fiind a box that fits well in the TA and provides deep bass without compromising too much space though. What do people do with the t-tops when they add a full trunk box?
    Last edited by jag42420; 01-17-2007 at 05:57 AM.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

At .6 cubic feet the enclosure is at the minimum required by the L5 subwoofer. Not an "ideal" match between sub and enclosure. Take a look at the recommended internal volume for an 8" sub and you'll see that according to their specs most would be a better match for an enclosure this size. Are you going to have one or two subwoofers? If it's only one you may not be entirely happy with your setup. I wasn't so I added a second stealthbox. My setup is by no means a ground pounder but then I never intended for it to be. I like deep accurate bass and not that real LOUD single note bass you hear from a lot of cars.

Ratdaddy07
    I have messed with car stereo most of my life, had 8 15's in a king cab Dodge once, ran a car audio shop for several years and I give everyone this advice. For the best all-around sound and flexibility it is better to go with a smaller woofer and more airspace generally speaking. If you are at the bottom of the optimal range for a 10 then go with an 8, seal it very well and put good power to it, you will come out ahead.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I'm only looking at 1 10" L5 to start with, but if I'm dissatisfied then I'll add a second. I was eyeing the Stealth enclosure, but I agree it seems to be a bit small. I like the concept. I think I'm going to do some measuring and see what the possibility of building a box similar to it but deeper might be. It seems to be flush with the interior, and from what it looks like I think I can make it 4-5" deeper. I'll have to break out the tape measure and calculator to calculate cu ft. I guess I'm limited to sealed enclosures without moving my t-tops...

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Unless you're good with fiberglass I doubt you'll get any significant additional internal volume building with wood. Steve did all he could to get as many cubic inches possible when he designed the enclosures.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I'm talking about building a custom Stealth type box that would go out to the edge of where the drop down is for the t-tops, which is about 4-5" further out than the interior the Stealth enclosures appear to sit even with. The extra it set out would be where I'd look to gain the extra cu ft. I'm thinking that would use the benefit hiding most of the enclosure, while providing adequate air space for the sub. I'd like to go with the largest air space suggested if possible.

Pewter
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    What do people do with the t-tops when they add a full trunk box?
    I've got two 10's in a custom built box where the trunk cover goes. I removed the trunk cover and took out the baby seat hooks and bolted the box in perfectly so it won't budge. Stuck a chromed out Audiobahn amp between the two 10's and it looks clean as hell. You could also stick the amp (or multiple amps) on the back of the box (which I did with my ugly lookin Kenwood when the Audiobahn was wrecked in an accident). If you really wanted to, there's room to stick three 10's, but I don't think you really need it.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Have any pics?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I was thinking of intentionally building the box like the last pic on this page, sticking out a bit for the extra air space. http://www.fbodyaudio.com/articlevie...tealthbox.tech

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I measured the area between the seat and the t-top area, and I think it's going to be easier to build a box to sit there than it would be building one to go into the hole on the passenger side. I can go 39" wide, 15" deep, and 8-9" tall, giving me 2.7-3.0 cu ft of air space. Instead of a 10 I can then use a ported 12, and mount my amps on the top of the box on either side of the sub. I'll still have trunk storage and t-top holders accessible, and the box will be about the same height of my rear seat so I won't obstruct the view. I think a single 12, ported, and with the largest amount of air space recommended would sound better than a pair of 10s anyway.

Pewter
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    Have any pics?
    I'll have to get your email address or somethin so I can send the pics. Don't wanna deal with size requirements, etc. Also, with that link to the fiberglass box website, you gotta think if you get a flat in the middle of nowhere (or anywhere for that matter), you might regret takin out that spare. Anyway, just PM me with your email and I'll send you the pics.

Thread Information