Not a Junior Member

Black
    98 Trans Am M6

speaker vibrations

I've read on these boards before about people complaining about some vibration noises coming from their speakers. Currently I'm noticing some vibration when I turn up my bass a little in the speakers that are next to the backseats.

Is this a common problem with our cars? Is it due to crappy speakers, or is it due to plastic interior panels? Has anyone tried dynamatting these areas to see if it eliminates the vibration?

Also, I currently have a speaker amp powering these speakers since some genius of a previous owner thought it'd be cute to cut off the speaker mounting brackets to the 6 x 9s that I should have in the hatch. Could the extra power be a factor in this too?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Its common

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Distant Zen View Post
    Also, I currently have a speaker amp powering these speakers since some genius of a previous owner thought it'd be cute to cut off the speaker mounting brackets to the 6 x 9s that I should have in the hatch. Could the extra power be a factor in this too?
    huh?? you shouldn't have 6x9s in the hatch (OEM)....try to reword that I might have missed something

Of course things vibrate -- that wouldn't make speakers crappy...just happens -- some cars worse than others -- with a stock setup, it should be possible to get rid of most vibrations with sound deadening, and maybe some acoustically transparent foam.

Not a Junior Member

Black
    98 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    huh?? you shouldn't have 6x9s in the hatch (OEM)....try to reword that I might have missed something

Of course things vibrate -- that wouldn't make speakers crappy...just happens -- some cars worse than others -- with a stock setup, it should be possible to get rid of most vibrations with sound deadening, and maybe some acoustically transparent foam.
    well I'm no genius when it comes to sound but i always thought when a speaker was blown it makes a fuzzy/vibration kinda noise, so i thought it might be a possibility. when i say hatch, i mean in the trunk area. sorry, i was being rather vague.

i'll probably get the backseat area matted with that sound blocking stuff when i get those speakers put in...hopefully that'll fix the issue.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Sometimes it does - sometimes it doesn't -- you should be able to tell the difference though -- try listening closer?

just fyi, blown by definition though is zero driver movement, infinite resistance, etc. (ex. no sound at all)

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Dynamat
    Dynamat
    Dynamat

Thread Information