RED
    2000 WS6 TA

Smoked the Sail Panel Speakers, What to do???

Howdy all, my 2000 T/A with the Monsoon has dead sail panel speakers. I've dug around in the search engine and I'm more confused now then when I started. I understand that the sails are "mid bass", What the hell does that mean? I've seen people recomending the ED subs but I'm concerned that they are "subs" not "mid Bass" speakers. I already have a set of duel RF subs in a box in the T-top storage area and have butt loads of bass from those. Will subs in the sail panels eliminate some of the range of the system? With the sub box in the back, would removing the rattleing sail speakers and just not putting anything back in make sense? I don't want to use them as subs if this is going to kill part of the spectrum. I'd like to have the mid-bass and rely on my rear subs for the bass. What should I do here? Does anyone make a comparable replacement dual voice coil speaker that will plug right back in and operate at the original frequency (as mid-bass speakers)? Can you even get factory replacements for these any more? I'd hate to see the price tag on those puppies. Anyway, what do I do here?

Black
    2000 WS6

I would recommend you contact Crutchfield. They have an excellent selection.

http://www.crutchfield.com

2000 Pontiac Firebird Coupe
    with Monsoon sound system
    Factory Stereo Installed Factory replacement info:
    In-dash stereo
    5-5/16" depth; Size code E,S,U
    Front speakers
    Front Door: 6-3/4"
    Far rear speakers
    Back Panel: 4"
    Rear Seat Side Panels: 6-3/4"

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

I blew my sail panel speakers a while back and just took them out. I have subs too. It still sounds really good but I still plan on getting some new ones in there at some point. I'd say just take them out, see if you even notice a difference and then go from there.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Go with the ED's. They will work fine for the midrange.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by LS666 View Post
    Howdy all, my 2000 T/A with the Monsoon has dead sail panel speakers. I've dug around in the search engine and I'm more confused now then when I started. I understand that the sails are "mid bass", What the hell does that mean? I've seen people recomending the ED subs but I'm concerned that they are "subs" not "mid Bass" speakers. I already have a set of duel RF subs in a box in the T-top storage area and have butt loads of bass from those. Will subs in the sail panels eliminate some of the range of the system? With the sub box in the back, would removing the rattleing sail speakers and just not putting anything back in make sense? I don't want to use them as subs if this is going to kill part of the spectrum. I'd like to have the mid-bass and rely on my rear subs for the bass. What should I do here? Does anyone make a comparable replacement dual voice coil speaker that will plug right back in and operate at the original frequency (as mid-bass speakers)? Can you even get factory replacements for these any more? I'd hate to see the price tag on those puppies. Anyway, what do I do here?
    go for the 7kv's [aka, eu700's]. they are just a bit funky to install due to clearance

Pewter
    2000 TransAm

Here's ours on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-G...3286.m14.l1318
    Not bad for two if you wanna keep the same speakers...

Thread Information