Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Sirius/XM Installation hardware - what is this thing?

I know it's a long shot, but I was hoping someone is familiar with Sirius/XM installation hardware and could help me identify the pieces I already have in my car. I bought a 2004 Explorer for my daughter, and just installed a double DIN Navigation headunit (Jensen 7020). The car already had a single DIN aftermarket radio in it, and was wired for an external Sirius/XM receiver docking unit which was installed in the console. There are three wires that lead from the Docking unit into the dash and disappear - I haven't traced them down to see where they run. The wires in the console are a power wire, an antenna lead and the audio-out to the old head unit.

Up in the dash behind the headunit there is a cylindrical black 'bar' about 5 inches long with a diameter of maybe 2 inches. It has the Sirius/XM logo on it. All of the wires have been wrapped in electrical tape and the entire unit is taped to wires on the stock wiring harness. I can't see what wires run from it unless I cut the tape and unravel all the wires. It'll be a lot of work to do that, and I'd like to know what that 'bar' is. if it is the antenna, I'd take the time to cut it apart and use it for the new head unit. If it is just a power adapter or something like that, I'll just leave it alone. Does anyone know what that 'bar' is?

I put it all back together and did not take a picture, but I may be taking it apart again to run a wire from the parking brake to the headunit so it'll play DVDs. If I do I'll upload a picture of the 'mystery bar'.

Thanks -
    Last edited by Neil; 01-19-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

No - it's a black cylinder - round. It kind of looks like the XM antenna for a motor cycle. The Tuner was located in the console, so I'm thinking it is either the antenna or power adapter.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Post up a picture. The only Sirius antennas I've seen for the car are more of a round or oblong type. I found one for the motorcycle that looks like this . I guess you could use it in a car but it probably wouldn't get the best reception under the dash.
    Last edited by sjgreen6; 01-23-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Yea - that may be it, with the handle bar clip removed. I'll be taking in the radio out this weekend to connect the wiring harness to the parking brake sensor so it'll show movies. I'll look closer at it then. Thanks -

Thread Information