Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Thumbs down Simple Sub Question

If I underload my sub, will I blow it? I'm getting a 300w x 1 RMS @ 4ohm Fosgate amp... I'm gonna run a Eclipse 10" Sub thats rated at 500w RMS @ 4ohms w/ dual voice coils...now because the RMS is diff will the constant low power going to the sub make it blow?

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Kages99 View Post
    Personally i would go with 400w-500w @4 ohms amp to push the Eclips 10". But that's just me......
    Well, LS1's aren't the cheapest things to mod, I'm lucky I had enough to buy the 300w...

I dunno tho, my friend sounded pretty convinced that underloading them can be just as dangerous. Just wanna play it safe and ask you guys!

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

As long as the amp's gain is set correctly you have nothing to worry about. If you use it as a volume control and set it too high you may run into problems.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Underpowering a sub will blow just as easy as overpowering it. You allways wanna run a sub at 75% of the rms rating. So if you have a sub rated at 500 watts, you will want to take a look at a amp in thr range of 375-500 watts.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by StangKiller615 View Post
    Underpowering a sub will blow just as easy as overpowering it. You allways wanna run a sub at 75% of the rms rating. So if you have a sub rated at 500 watts, you will want to take a look at a amp in thr range of 375-500 watts.
    Now it's you and my friend vs. the rest of the world. Why doesn't anyone else tell me this?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Recommended power is only a guideline. They are not set in stone rules. If a sub is rated at 300 watts it won't blow just because you sent 301 watts to it. Like I already said, if you set the gain properly and are not sending the amp into hard clipping there is nothing to worry about. Regardless of whether it's a 300 watt amp or a 1000 watt amp. That 75% of recommened power rule is a lot of nonsense.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething View Post
    Now it's you and my friend vs. the rest of the world. Why doesn't anyone else tell me this?
    He's right, underpowering is actually more likely to blow a sub than overpowering it.... within reason of course. You get more distortion with less power because the sub is trying to work to hard to get the power it needs. The more power you have the more control over the sub you have. Now if you're talking 300w sub being powered by a 1500w amp then obviously, that'll blow the hell out of it.

Now in your situation, I'd say just set the gain high but not high enough that you get distortion when the volume is at the level you prefer, and you should be ok. It might not rattle the teeth out of your head but it should sound pretty good.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

OMG! Where on earth do you people get this stuff? The sub doesn't do any "work" at all to "get the power it needs".

I give up. Believe what you want.

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Underpowering a sub, and the resulting clipping of the amp to get the subs to perform as desired, overheats and burns coils.

Try this little test. Take a 4 ohm door speaker rated at 40-50 watts and hook it up to an automotive 12v battery... and let it sit for a while. that is only 36 watts of energy.. but see how the speaker likes it.

the less watts you add to a speaker the higher the gains and volume, resulting in higher clipping and the result is burnt v/c's.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

And the verdict is:

I'll beef up my mids w/ this smaller rated amp and buy one rated the same RMS as my sub... I think some nice Infinity's and my stealthbox w/ a Eclipse Comp 500w rms sub should sound ok... Thanks for the advice guys!

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

And the verdict is:

I'll beef up my mids w/ this smaller rated amp and buy one rated the same RMS as my sub... I think some nice Infinity's and my stealthbox w/ a Eclipse Comp 500w rms sub should sound ok... Thanks for the advice guys!
    Go with a mono amplifire for your subwoofers.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by StangKiller615 View Post
    Go with a mono amplifire for your subwoofers.
    Ok... Fosgate?

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Ok... Fosgate?
    Yes, Fosgate and MTX make some of the nicest amps.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Sub came in the mail. Eclipse 10" 500w RMS...

I've got Fosgate 6.5" 50w Mids coming soon. Already got the Fosgate amp for the Mids, just ordered the Fosgate 500w x1 RMS amp for the sub. hopefully it'll sound pretty good. I was just wondering about getting a cap tho. You think I'll need one for the sub's amp?

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Sub came in the mail. Eclipse 10" 500w RMS...

Click for full size

Click for full size

I've got Fosgate 6.5" 50w Mids coming soon. Already got the Fosgate amp for the Mids, just ordered the Fosgate 500w x1 RMS amp for the sub. hopefully it'll sound pretty good. I was just wondering about getting a cap tho. You think I'll need one for the sub's amp?
    Your sub looks alot like the the MTX 8000's, I used to have. Nice size magnet. It will sound awesome. Some people do not use caps, and will tell you that they are usless. I disagree though, I used a 1 fared digital cap on my system. They recommend that you need a 1 fared cap for every 1000 watts your stereo puts out. If you are going to be running 1000 or more watts, then yes I would recommend you get a cap, anything less and you will be fine. Here is what a cap will do for you. Your car amplifier is just one of several components competing for the available power in your vehicle. For this reason, we suggest adding a stiffening capacitor to your car's electrical system. A capacitor (cap) is like a power reservoir delivering current upon demand. A cap is recommended for all medium-to-high power systems. If you dont wanna bother with a cap, then you may be interested in upgrading your alternator with one with more amps.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

Pretty much distortion kills speakers not underpowering them. That is all good night.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by daveb91 View Post
    Pretty much distortion kills speakers not underpowering them. That is all good night.
    Underpowering a speaker CAUSES distortion! If you have a 250w speaker and a 100w amp, it will distort alot sooner than a 100w speaker with a 250w amp. That is a FACT... I sold Home and Car audio for 6 years.
    Last edited by Wulfe13; 09-07-2006 at 07:25 PM.

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfe13 View Post
    Underpowering a speaker CAUSES distortion! If you have a 250w speaker and a 100w amp, it will distort alot sooner than a 100w speaker with a 250w amp. That is a FACT... I sold Home and Car audio for 6 years.
    Well said Wulfe.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Under powering does NOT cause distortion. Pushing an amp (or HU for that matter) beyond it's voltage swing capabilities is what causes distortion.

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal View Post
    Under powering does NOT cause distortion. Pushing an amp (or HU for that matter) beyond it's voltage swing capabilities is what causes distortion.
    It causes clipping, which is caused by underpowering. Clipping kills subs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information