Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shut off for radio and power windows

This is a discussion on Shut off for radio and power windows within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; Not sure who to thank, but I followed the recommendation and found a YouTube repair for this. Did the job ...

Black
    99 Z28

Thumbs up Fixed !!!!!

Not sure who to thank, but I followed the recommendation and found a YouTube repair for this. Did the job in about an hour and a half. Did not have to remove the seat. Had all the tools except a small right angle phillips screw driver for the screw next to the seat to remove the kick panel. Getting the BCM out of the holder took the most time..it was a SOB to pull out. Looking at the pictures of the five solder joints that were suspect, I found a "cold solder" joint on the bottom one. See picture. Made the repair using 60/40 solder....put all back together...Done !!! Everything works great !!!! Thanks again to all....
    JJ Bones
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bcm-bad-solder-joint-_99z28.jpg  

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JJBones View Post
    Not sure who to thank, but I followed the recommendation and found a YouTube repair for this. Did the job in about an hour and a half. Did not have to remove the seat. Had all the tools except a small right angle phillips screw driver for the screw next to the seat to remove the kick panel. Getting the BCM out of the holder took the most time..it was a SOB to pull out. Looking at the pictures of the five solder joints that were suspect, I found a "cold solder" joint on the bottom one. See picture. Made the repair using 60/40 solder....put all back together...Done !!! Everything works great !!!! Thanks again to all....
    JJ Bones
    Just an added note...I did not touch the other joints...they all looked good. But I did take an old toothbrush with Isopropal Alcohol and a rag and clean the solder joint of any reminding flux and inspect again to make sure I did not get TOO happy with the solder and create a bridge to another contact.....JJBones...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information