Should i have same RMS wattage in all speakers?

This is a discussion on Should i have same RMS wattage in all speakers? within the Stereo and Electronics forums, part of the General Help category; I'm going to replace all six speakers in my TA this x mas and i found some alpines for the ...

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Should i have same RMS wattage in all speakers?

I'm going to replace all six speakers in my TA this x mas and i found some alpines for the front doors and the rear seat side panels that are 50 watts RMS. But the only alpines (or other affordable brands) that fit the back panel in the trunk are 30 to 35 watts RMS. Will they blow if i have it turned up since they can't handle as much as the others? I'd like to get all the same wattage and brand...
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD, !AIR, !EGR, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT

1994 POS

What's the Head unit you're using, are you keeping everything else stock?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

If you're using the factory stereo it won't matter what the speaker's RMS rating is. The ridiculous amount of distortion generated by the POS Monsoon system will probably blow just about anything you install.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

are you putting an amp on the speakers or just using the HU to power them?

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Originally i was just planning to get aftermarket speakers only, but I do happen to have an aftermarket HU by Dual, not sure of the model though, it might be a year or two old. I really didn't want to have to buy an amp as well. What do you guys think if i put in the dual HU and get new speakers? Do I really need an amp?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

The Dual is a very low end HU. I doubt that it is much of an upgrade from the stock HU. However using it with a quality outboard amp and setting the amp's gain properly will be a step in the right direction.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I see. well so much for attempting to stay under 300 dollars for my speakers with the need for an amp now.....

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

What kind of amp do you guys recommend? I'd like to be economical too, nothing too expensive...

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

I would recommend forgetting about replacing the hatch area speakers and just replace the door speakers and B-pillar speakers instead. The money for the hatch speakers will be better spent elsewhere.

A set of components for the doors and a set of 2-way co-axials for the rear will outperform the stock system by a long shot. As for an amp that will be up to you and your budget. While I can't make any specific recommendations I can tell you what to avoid. Brands like Pyramid, Rockwood, Kenford and the like are cheap for a reason. When it comes to buying an amp the phrase "you get what you pay for" really applies. A 4-channel amp will be what you want to go for. And if you feel that you simply have to have the hatch speakers you can always run the stock speakers off of the HU's power.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

If i keep the stock speakers in the hatch and get aftermarket for the doors and side panels in the rear seats, wont the ones in the hatch blow really soon? I would think so since i'll have the tunes turned up even more, that the stock speakers will be fucked. Then, i'll hear buzzing and all sorts of shit....

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

The hatch area speakers are a waste of time and money IMO. If you really need to have them you can wire in a high-pass filter to block the lows to help protect them. Some large value capacitors of at least 500uf or so would probably do the trick.

I would seriously think about not even using them. Hell, I don't have any rear speakers at all in my setup and I've never missed them. Even when I demo my setup for people they always ask me what kind of speakers I use in back. Most of the time I have to pop off the grills just to prove to them that there's nothing there.

Thread Information