Thread: Sail Speaker Q

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Sail Speaker Q

I dont know anything about car speakers. I have an 01 TA with monsoon. Are sail speakers the ones right behind the seats or the ones in the back of the car. Also any suggestions for new speakers. i want to keep the same amp and everything that came stock. Dealer wants 180 for one new speaker. *uck that. Also I heard Infinity 62.7i's are good where to buy them the cheapest
    Last edited by pipes_ta; 04-08-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Sails are the ones in alignment with your head if you were to sit in the rear seat -- the furthest back are referred to as the hatch speakers.

Especially since you have a TA and I am unaware of better replacements (whether it be midbass or subs) due to you having 4 ohm DVC subs there, I would recommend the eu700s by Elemental Designs ($150 shipped for a pair). Take a look at the sticky at the top of this page for more specific information, and some write-ups.

Black

then what should i use for the front speakers and hatch speakers. also where is the cheapest place to buy eu700s and other speakers

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Sorry I just realized you didn't even ask for sail replacements necessarily.

Fronts, Infinity 62.7i are the simplest replacement, however you would lose the position of the tweeter (mounted separately on your car compared to a coaxial mount used in Camaros). You could go for a nice efficient component set to maintain separate tweeter locations.

Other than that, I guess you could always replace the midrange/bass speaker with a typical coaxial speaker and just leave the tweeter, or replace it with a new tweeter.

Black

thanks as you can see i know nothing about stereo equipment so how is the eu700s install for a person that know nothing i mean nothing about stereos. I know about the sticky so do you think i could handle this.
    also can i use the infinitys for the hatch speakers or only for the front speakers
    Last edited by pipes_ta; 04-08-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pipes_ta View Post
    thanks as you can see i know nothing about stereo equipment so how is the eu700s install for a person that know nothing i mean nothing about stereos. I know about the sticky so do you think i could handle this.
    Yes - the wiring is simple, especially since you have a TA. There are 4 wires in the factory locations, and 4 terminals on the new speakers, so no splicing or anything is necessary. Slight modification with the physical sub is needed to allow enough space to fit. You can make the "spacer" with foam core, MDF -- or anything you think would fit well and not cause any vibration problems. There is a link to another writeup in there also has additional information.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pipes_ta View Post
    also can i use the infinitys for the hatch speakers or only for the front speakers
    If your hatch speakers aren't blown - I would leave them as is. They (the Infinity) would not work in the hatch.

Black

your very helpful, thanks for all the replies. i have it now.

Thread Information