Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

Sail Panel Subs - 2 Ohm or 2/4 Ohm or 4/4 Ohm???

Confused...

I'm looking to upgrade the factory Monsoon sound system in my 2001 Trans-Am visually 'unnoticed'. ED has a nice 6.5" sub for the sail panels. It's available in d2 and dual 4.

I'm reading some threads that state 2 Ohm is the way to go. Then it also states that that's for Camaros; being a two wire speaker sub.

Other threads state dual 4 ohm for the Firebirds; being four wire speaker subs. I personally confirmed the four wires and the speaker states 4 Ohm/4 Ohm on the back.

Simple enough right? Nope.

I have the actual GM Service Manuals for the 2001 Camaro/Firebird. It shows the subs for the Firebird being a Dual Voice Coil Speaker at 4 Ohm and 2 Ohm.

What gives? I believe the ED dual 4 is the way to go but...? Can someone straighten out my confusion?

Thanks for your time.

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

Quote Originally Posted by midi_2001 View Post
    Confused...

I'm looking to upgrade the factory Monsoon sound system in my 2001 Trans-Am visually 'unnoticed'. ED has a nice 6.5" sub for the sail panels. It's available in d2 and dual 4.

I'm reading some threads that state 2 Ohm is the way to go. Then it also states that that's for Camaros; being a two wire speaker sub.

Other threads state dual 4 ohm for the Firebirds; being four wire speaker subs. I personally confirmed the four wires and the speaker states 4 Ohm/4 Ohm on the back.

Simple enough right? Nope.

I have the actual GM Service Manuals for the 2001 Camaro/Firebird. It shows the subs for the Firebird being a Dual Voice Coil Speaker at 4 Ohm and 2 Ohm.

What gives? I believe the ED dual 4 is the way to go but...? Can someone straighten out my confusion?

Thanks for your time.
    Anyone????

blue
    2002 ws6

my understanding is that the camaro have 2ohm and that the firebird line have the 4ohm and both are dual voice coil .... i no longer have my stock ones in my trans am .. but if u still have the stock ones in yours just unscrew them and look on the back it will state what it is

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

camaro are 2ohm, you can wire in "series" i believe to make a 4ohm into a 2ohm...

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

Well, I went with the Elemental Design 7Kv.s Dual 4 Ohm subs and they work great in my T/A.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=33

Additional inf.:
    They're a tad bit larger in diameter than the factory subs. I also found it necessary to make spacers to go behind the subs to keep them from bottoming out. I used 3/8" ply. They sound pretty good for small subs. If you're looking to keep the stock appearance these will fit the bill.

Thread Information