Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Sail Panel Speakers....stereo or mono???

Not with my car so can't check and honestly do not know since you cannot hear them over my sub, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out:

Do the sail panel speakers receive a stereo or mono signal??

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Chances are they are stereo but since sub-bass frequencies are non-directional it really doesn't matter.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal View Post
    Chances are they are stereo but since sub-bass frequencies are non-directional it really doesn't matter.
    I know, I was thinking stereo - but was curious because I was just thinking about something (no intention on doing it myself - but may be an alternative for others)

I wonder how this would sound, assuming a mono signal:
    a efficient dual voice coil sub that could handle at least 150/200wRMS (since it would most likely get in the ballpark of 150wRMS) with one pair of sail panel wires powering one voice coil and the other side powering the other voice coil. This would only work in the Camaro, since we have SVC woofers in the sails... I think this might be a pretty reasonable option for those looking for a little more bass, and would like to stay away from eu700s/etc -- the physical size of the sub would make a huge difference obviously, so it would have an advantage over 6.5" "subs"....

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

There's very little, if any, stereo information below 100Hz so it really wouldn't matter.

IMO this would be a huge waste of time if the POS Monsoon amp was going to be used to power the sub.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

There's very little, if any, stereo information below 100Hz so it really wouldn't matter.

IMO this would be a huge waste of time if the POS Monsoon amp was going to be used to power the sub.
    yea - but it would be interesting to know if you can get better sound out of this rather than eu700's (or similar) in the sails... there isn't much wrong with the Monsoon amp -- looking the the system as a whole, the amp is the only good thing about it (besides the fact that it is weak).

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

I don't even consider it an amp. It's more of what I'd call an over hyped power booster. And not a very good one at that.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

I don't even consider it an amp. It's more of what I'd call an over hyped power booster. And not a very good one at that.
    Over-rated, yea....but isn't that what an amplifier does? Amplify/boost power?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

What I consider a true power amp uses RCA inputs and has a gain control (sensitivity control would be more accurate). Not speaker level inputs. That, IMO, places it in the power booster category like the old Rat Shack under dash 20W power boosters from the 70's. In fact I think the Rat Shack booster was higher quality than the POS Monsoon. I don't remember it blowing speakers all the time like the POS Monsoon "amp" does.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

In fact I think the Rat Shack booster was higher quality than the POS Monsoon. I don't remember it blowing speakers all the time like the POS Monsoon "amp" does.
    Monsoon amp does a pretty good job actually (as far as distortion). It is the HU that puts out the distortion that takes the lives of so many speakers.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

I never thought I would see anyone defend the POS Monsoon amp. There's a first time for everything I suppose. LOL

Monsoon Amp

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

I never thought I would see anyone defend the POS Monsoon amp. There's a first time for everything I suppose. LOL

Monsoon Amp
    go after the Delco HU before you blame the amp

(I should note that there is nothing left from the factory Monsoon system in my car)

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

They're both (HU & amp) garbage as far as I'm concerned.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

They're both (HU & amp) garbage as far as I'm concerned.
    Agreed - but....just saying, blame the HU for blown speakers because that's where almost all of the distortion comes from.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I have yet to blow a speaker in my car... Once I swapped in the new headunit, my distortion went WAY down... plus you can limit the volume... set cross-overs, etc...

I agree with going after the HU before the amp... but the amp still isn't all that great...

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

GM is in the business of selling cars. The stereo system just isn't very high on their list of priorities. Calling the Monsoon system a "500 Watt" system is a load of crap. Compare the amp to an after-market amp that can actually put out that kind of power and the Monsoon leaves a LOT to be desired. I don't think it would even make a very good boat anchor.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

GM is in the business of selling cars. The stereo system just isn't very high on their list of priorities. Calling the Monsoon system a "500 Watt" system is a load of crap. Compare the amp to an after-market amp that can actually put out that kind of power and the Monsoon leaves a LOT to be desired. I don't think it would even make a very good boat anchor.
    Agree with everything there - I never said it was an awesome amp, just that it wasn't responsible for your blown speakers...and yea we all know that 500W rating is peak and ILS.

last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

so how does that amp get power? obviously it doesent have rca's goin into it but what about a power,ground and remote wire?

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

There is a wiring harness on the passenger side of the vehicle... I haven't pull apart the car enough to find out, but I believe it travels under the side trim under the door...

Thread Information