Mystic Teal Metallic
    1999 Z28

Running Lights and Tailights

The other day I put new fog lights in my Z28. I did away with the old setup and installed a whole new fog light system without messing with the old one. The only thing I did to my old fog lights was cut the wires to take them out. Around the same time I did that I noticed that when I turned my headlights on my interior dash lights no longer lit up and my tailights did not come on. The funny part is that the reverse light works, the brake lights work, and the interior dash lights work when I lock the car. Anybody got any ideas. My buddy thinks its the main switch on the dash so I am going to switch that out today. If it is not that any other suggestions.

chameleon
    98 T/A

funny thing i thought that only happend to me. the fog lights run thru the head lights and the original lights (have a full circuit) meaning that after market lights do not. i dont know how else to explane that. when you cut the wires was there a lead wire on one of them?

Mystic Teal Metallic
    1999 Z28

Thanks

I am not really sure. I will have to look at that and see. I went and got a used switch from the salvage yard and that didnt fix the problem. I may hook the old fog lights back up and see if that fixes it. If it does I will just rewire the system to complete the circuit.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

you will have to rewire it like stated above.. kinda like christmas lights when one goes out the whole series goes out (and no I'm not saying in the car if the headlight goes out everything will lol)

Mystic Teal Metallic
    1999 Z28

Another question

Since I already put in a new fog light system, can I wire the factory fog lights to each other. For example take the positive end of one and hook it to the positive end of the other, and ground of one to the ground of the other or does it not work like that? Or any other little tricks that will fix my problem. I am not real familiar with the wiring of a Camaro.

Red W/ Black Stripes
    2000, Camaro

Cool Fuses!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BWA2110 View Post
    The other day I put new fog lights in my Z28. I did away with the old setup and installed a whole new fog light system without messing with the old one. The only thing I did to my old fog lights was cut the wires to take them out. Around the same time I did that I noticed that when I turned my headlights on my interior dash lights no longer lit up and my tailights did not come on. The funny part is that the reverse light works, the brake lights work, and the interior dash lights work when I lock the car. Anybody got any ideas. My buddy thinks its the main switch on the dash so I am going to switch that out today. If it is not that any other suggestions.

Man i had the same problem, but my mistake was that i accidentally put together the wires when i took'em off from my stock fog lights, and i had the same problem as u, just chek the fuse, check the Tail Lps Fuse it's a 20 amp Fuse and that's all. Good Luck

Red W/ Black Stripes
    2000, Camaro

Thumbs up Sure You Can

Quote Originally Posted by BWA2110 View Post
    Since I already put in a new fog light system, can I wire the factory fog lights to each other. For example take the positive end of one and hook it to the positive end of the other, and ground of one to the ground of the other or does it not work like that? Or any other little tricks that will fix my problem. I am not real familiar with the wiring of a Camaro.

Just Cut the 894 bulb socket and do the wiring like this.

Stock Wires Aftermarket Fog Lights
    Purple (+) -------------To -----------(+)Commonly White
    Black (-) -------------To -----------(-)Commonly Black
    But Remember, be careful while cutting, and to avoid a mess
    disconnect the Negative Wire of You Battery

Enjoy

Thread Information