SOM
    02 SS

Retractable radio antenna

I know I have seen this before, but I searched and couldn't find it. Does any one have info on instaling the a retractable on an 02 SS? Part numbers are the big thing I'm looking for, but a walkthru would be kick-ass too.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Shit! Easy as pie.... mmm pie! ...Anyway. Just buy a power antena motor on ebay for like 30 bucks.

Remove the old antena, but keep the rubber peice in place. Throw away those plastic ones they send you, don't work. Found that out the hard way . Use a dremmel to widen it a little so that the PA can be snug but also move up through the hole. Now tighten the bolt on the top so that it can dangle, but not move. Now take the metal brace it came with and bend it so that it can attach to the old holes of the old antena and reach the bottom of the new one. Don't connect it yet. Now unwrap the huge amont of wires in the black loom, running past that area. Now connect the regular hot wire (I think it is the blue wire) to the orange wire in the loom. And connect the red wire to a REALLY long feet of wire your going to run to your dash. Now run that wire to the front under all the plastic and behind to your stereo. Now you need to purchase some 25 Pin D-Sub Female connectors. You only need one, but they sell you like a dozen or so. Now sodder the wire to this connector and stick it in the third one from the left on the back of your stereo. Now go back to the trunk and attach the black wire to that screw that goes into the bottom of the PA and attach it to that peice of metal brace. Thats it! Now turn on the car and see if it works. If not email me and I'll try to trouble shoot.

One more thing. In case your PA stops working remove the stupid fuse they put on the wire and just connect the two wires together. I had this problem a few months after install. The plastic cracked and the fuse wasn't making a connection. So after trying everything, I just removed the damn thing. I figure if the power shorts it, for thirty bucks, I can get another .

Heres mine . Takes about an hour for a first timer. I could probably do it again in about half that.

For a site that helped me, go to here.

More instructions that came with my unit.

And a place to purchase the same one I got.

Hope this helps!

Rob
    Last edited by graphicsgod; 11-19-2005 at 08:20 AM.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Do NOT remove any fuses! If the fuse holder is defective replace it. Do NOT remove it entirely. If the wiring shorts out you may lose a lot more than just the antenna.

Camaro's aren't wired for power antennas are they? If not, you'll need to run power wires and a remote turn-on lead from the HU
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal
    Do NOT remove any fuses! If the fuse holder is defective replace it. Do NOT remove it entirely. If the wiring shorts out you may lose a lot more than just the antenna.

Camaro's aren't wired for power antennas are they? If not, you'll need to run power wires and a remote turn-on lead from the HU
    It was cheap and fell apart, so I removed it. Hadn't had any problems so far. Been a year.

Yes camaros are wired just the same as T/As. As for running a power wire from the unit, I already mentioned it The remote option is optional if you want to be able to lower it at any time. It's nice, but not required.

Rob

Custom User Title

Silver
    1999 Camaro

No Camaros arent wired the same as T/A's lol. Quite a few things different.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Well as far as stereos go, I can't find a difference. As far as the whole car go, they can't be all that different.

Rob

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Two differences that I know of are that Camaros don't come with power antennas and the other is that Camaros don't have hatch area tweeters like Firebirds do.

Moo cow f**k milk Demon_Speeding's Avatar

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Here's a pretty good how-to for a power antenna install on a Camaro.

Power Antenna How-To

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Demon_Speeding
    Here's a pretty good how-to for a power antenna install on a Camaro.

Power Antenna How-To
    Already posted.

Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal
    Two differences that I know of are that Camaros don't come with power antennas and the other is that Camaros don't have hatch area tweeters like Firebirds do.
    Picky picky . True, lol, they don't "come" with PA. But they are setup to take one. All I had to do was plug in a wire on the fact. stereo and it's just like the T/As. As for tweeters, some can be added. The cars are similar. It's just that you T/A guys get a few extra power options.

Rob

Thread Information